AR optics

kda082

WKR
I have an AR in 5.56 with open sights at present. Gun was gifted to me with scope but I pirated that for a bolt action long ago. Having been on vacation during the great ammo rush of 2020, I now sit on low supply of pistol ammo and good supply of 5.56. What is a good option for close range optics for this rifle? It has a pretty short barrel so not looking for a long ranger. I’m trying not to go full on whackadoo, just prepared. Red dot or fixed power? Any affordable options under $100? Seeing a food shortage yesterday shook me up a little. Thank god for a freezer full of deer and goose. Luckily I can sight in behind my house.

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Sig Romeo 5 red dot is not a bad option... before the craziness that is corona, they were commonly available for less than $120 shipped, sometimes $100. Probably more now, if you can find em...

Holosun (who makes the sig romeo I believe) also has some decent options.

I'm a fan of a good low power variable, but for those your looking at way more than $100

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
Vortex has some decent options that you can catch on sale for a little more than your budget ($200 ish). I have the Strikefire II and am happy with it. I also run An Aimpoint which I prefer by probably out of your budget.

I think it was called a tr-25 but bushnell made it and I sold it on here for 35$

but that thing got beat on a shit ton on my rifles and never bobbled. My stigmatism makes most red dot scopes unusablebeyond close quarters. That’s why it went down the road.

Not saying it’s aim point tough but I’ll reiterate, it got beat on a lot and seen a lot of rounds. Held up a lot better then most pic rail rear site do.

+1 on the iron sights if you’re just interested in using it as a self defense weapon. If you need a little more range at a budget, check out the Cabelas AR scopes. They have BDC reticles set up for 223 and red/green illumination. I believe they can be had for <$100 but haven’t really looked at them lately.

Goose2345

FNG
funny I was making the same decision earlier this week! I ended up with a vortex strike Eagle 1-6 lots of other very good options out there but I ended up wanting a variable power over a single power red dot. For the price I think it will serve me well easily picks up targets at close range with both eyes open and the reticle forces your focus to the center nicely I think I’ll be happy with it for what I’ll use it for a little more then your budget but you get a lot more for a little more money! Give Kent’s optics in Utah a call they have the best prices on all optics I’ve seen they will ship same day usually

The primary arms red dots have incredible reviews for a reasonably priced red dot. But I believe that a low power variable optic is the way to go for a fighting carbine. 1-4 power burris mtac, primary arms 1-4 or 1-6, vortex strike eagle are all great options. I've been running lpvo's on all my rifles aside from my sbr.

Primary Arms Gen II Micro Red Dot is on Optics Planet for less than $100 right now. I have been impressed with Primary Arms for their quality/price point. I have one of their red dot sights on a 300 Blackout and a 1-6 SLX ACSS on my 5.56. I have used Aimpoints, ACOGs, and EOTechs for work and while the Primary Arms red dot is not in the same league as an Aimpoint, they make quality sights. I am really impressed by the Primary Arms 1-6 ACSS reticle and prefer it to some much more expensive optics.

WCB

WKR
I have a few Weaver tactical dot sights I could part with...Basically the same quality as some of the Sig offerings in the same price range. PM me if interested.

skywalkr

Lil-Rokslider
Aimpoint Pro if you are on more of a budget, other aimpoints if you have $ to drop

Elkhntr08

WKR
I just mounted a Burris MTAC 1.5-6x42 on my .458 SOCOM upper. I know it’s more than $100, but I know it will work, if or when I need it to.

gleason51

Lil-Rokslider
+1 for the Sig Romeo 5. Great optic in that $100-120 range. I prefer a Trijicon MRO, but that’s quite a bit more. Look on AR15.com or tacswap.com, you can find great deals on both sites!

Outlaw99

WKR
I like the Burris 536 for all things on my rifle. For me, where my shots at coyotes rarely exceed 300 yards; it’s the perfect “do all” AR scope.

JFK

WKR
I have a primary arms fixed 4x on my ar. Don’t use it for much except punching paper once in a while, but it’s a nice scope with good reviews. Illuminated reticle that works from 10-200 yards very well. It’s a short compact prism scope. I shot a buddy of mine’s ar and he has an acog which sold me on a fixed 4x scope.

What's wrong with the Irons?
There free and wont fail you.
They shoot high power matches way out with them.
The Vietnam war was fought with them.
And in a gunfight I doubt the will be much aiming, breathing and trigger control.

bline

FNG
Like others have said, I'd look at the Primary Arms red dot options. They offer a lot of value for the price.