AR Pistol - Q, DD, Maxim, Noveske or Sig?

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
New development from my prior "truck gun" post (https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/truck-gun-ar-pistol-law-folder-bag-choice-etc.179334/). I'm now looking for an AR pistol (not SBR) for my vehicle. Looking to keep it pretty short. I'm not a build-it guy - just not skilled enough. Looking at the following, and my pros/cons for each, but welcome other suggestions on what to consider, as well as other pros/cons for these. Prefer to keep as 300BLK, but would consider 5.56. Don't know that I want to add another caliber (7.62x39) to my mix.
  1. Honey Badger - tied for lightest, but more expensive and I believe some components are proprietary.
  2. Sugar Weasel - least expensive, but long
  3. DD - inexpensive, but a bit heavier
  4. Noveske (Diplomat or GB - not sure of difference) - tied for lightest, but most expensive
  5. Maxim PDX - short, in middle for cost
  6. Sig Rattler - shortest, but expensive
Would love to get input on other aspects, such as quality of build and reliability. I'm usually a "pay once, cry once" guy but would love to get something for a great deal. I know that availability is going to be a challenge.

Last edited:
I have four guns on your list and thinks it’s great list...I’d go 1)noveske 2)HB
They are such quality products that you can feel difference on range. Good luck picking.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
GB for sure. It’s going in my pack if I need to get out of dodge.
Ah, I finally figured out the difference between the GB and Diplomat (apart from the latter having more color options).

h2so4

WKR
What did you end up with? I’m a noveske fanboy, so they’d get my vote. My true truck gun, that I don’t really care about, is a noveske upper with local gun shop built lower. Fits in my pack nicely. When I’m doing fun things, I bring my Noveske SBR (gen2 lower ) and it’s very quiet.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
What did you end up with? I’m a noveske fanboy, so they’d get my vote. My true truck gun, that I don’t really care about, is a noveske upper with local gun shop built lower. Fits in my pack nicely. When I’m doing fun things, I bring my Noveske SBR (gen2 lower ) and it’s very quiet.
I was pretty set on the Sig Rattler after my research (including an incredibly long thread on this topic in the pistol[dash]forum), but never went through with it - for a variety of reasons (no inventory, pretty major accident, apathy, etc.). Now that I didn't do it, when I've remembered the project, I was a bit glad that I didn't get a pistol given what's been going on lately with braces.... I'm not ruling it out at all, but it's currently on the back burner.

Thanks for the input on the Noveske and what you have in your truck. Which reminds me, I need a truck too. :unsure:

h2so4

WKR
I'm not to worried about the pistol brace stuff. if you buy it when its legal, it makes "taking it away" super hard and unlikely. With that said, you could grab a 10.5" or 12" complete upper and stash it away and/or an unassembled lower with or without a brace.
I don't actually have a truck, either. I actually call the truck gun the "Jeep Piece". lol.