AR platform hunting rifles

Bigjay73

Lil-Rokslider
Somewhat main rifle for deer/ antelope. I'm shooting a 6.5 grendel, accurate to 800 yds, good for deer and lope to 300 yds. Pros: accurate, easy to shoot, no recoil, semi auto is nice, cons: loud when you chamber a round, a little bulky.
I

260madman

WKR
I’ve taken deer with my ARs in 223, 6.8, and 308. This is hunting out of a blind. Carry through the mountains? I’d take a bolt gun. It took a bit for the ARs to grow on me but I still prefer a bolt gun. This year I used a APO Saber M700 that has AR ergos. I was done in half an hour so I can’t say much except it’s accurate and a 6.5CM kills the same as a 260Rem.

Getting my Grendel setup today for the antlerless season next week. I’ll run backup to my daughter and her M4ish AR in 223.

Jbehredt

WKR
I’ve used one as my deer/elk gun since 2013. A basic dpms 308 with mods. A good sling makes it easy to carry in multiple positions. Time in the corps makes it very familiar. Also makes the cleaning and maintenance second nature.

jb1842

FNG
I have a PSA AR-10 in 6.5 creedmoor. Haven't hunted with it yet, but can hit a 12 inch steel at 300 yards (farthest range I had access to) all day long.

Lwilliams

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a lightweight 6.5 Grendel that is suppressed that my daughters use for antelope. I carry it occasionally for deer but have other rifles I primarily use.

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
I have one in 450 Bushmaster for whitetail hunting in Iowa. At the time of my purchase, a lefty bolt gun was unavailable. Its heavy and loud, but shoots tacks with factory ammo, has almost zero recoil, and semi-auto is nice too.

AKYZ450F

FNG
I build a AR308 platform in 6.5 creedmoor and took it to Kodiak for a deer hunt mid November this year. Spent four days in all types of weather and it functioned fine. It weighs 9# with 5 rounds in it and shoots sub moa.

TauPhi111

WKR
Don't let anyone tell you "AR's were designed as offensive weapons of war and weren't designed for hunting" as a reason why you shouldn't use one. It's virtue signalling and a baseless argument. No one was using bolt actions before they were developed for military use, used by soldiers, and then became popular in the civilian sector for hunting. Today's ARs can be just as adapted to hunting as any bolt action is compared to it's originally military counterparts. It goes back even further than bolt actions. Lever actions preceded the bolt action as a military weapon, and single shot rifles before that. Hell, if you wanted to hunt with something not first designed as a military weapon, you might have to go all the way back to the spear or atlatl. If it is legal during rifle season, hunt with it and don't let fudds tell you otherwise.