Ar trigger weight

Txrookie

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys I have a sig 516 patrol that has a heavy 7.5 lb trigger. I’m wanting to use it for varmint hunting as well as hd but I hate the trigger. I’ve decided to go with a velocity drop in but I can’t decide what weight. Is a 3lb too light?

BAKPAKR

WKR
My only experience with aftermarket triggers has
been with Geisseles. The SSA-E and the SD-E have around a 3.5 pound pull. I like them a lot for shooting at targets and for hunting.

260madman

WKR
I only have 2 stage triggers in my ARs. RRA before they did their lobbying scandal and LaRue. Hard to beat the LaRue for $80. For HD I’m not sure how I’d go with it. Mine has a 2 stage and I’m comfort able with it. I don’t put my booger hook on the fun switch until I have to.

OP
T

Txrookie

Lil-Rokslider
I have no experience with Velocity, but 3lbs is not too light for a varmint gun.

I just re read and realized you were wanting it for defense use as well. For home defense I think 3lbs is too light. YMMV.
I guess hd isn’t a major factor, I was just curious. My main priority is night time calling so if it’s not to light for that then I think I’m going to go that route

I like the Geisseles. Single stage at 3-4#. I have some lighter triggers on bolt guns and one AR set up for long range with a sub 3# trigger. It is great for distance shooting but not ideal for antisocial purposes where things could get exciting.

NaturalJon

Lil-Rokslider
I put on a CMC on an AR built for coyote hunting. It has been excellent IMO

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

velocity makes a good trigger. I like 3.5-5.5 personally and my main general duty rifle wears a ALG ACT and breaks around 5. My precision rigs are around 3 lbs. I would not go less

I have a JP single-stage that would meet your specs. Willing to sell for $75 shipped. Pull is around #4. Sells new for $199 as JP EZ Trigger Fire Control Package. Can always change trigger spring to change pull weight.

OP
T

Txrookie

Lil-Rokslider
I have a JP single-stage that would meet your specs. Willing to sell for $75 shipped. Pull is around #4. Sells new for $199 as JP EZ Trigger Fire Control Package. Can always change trigger spring to change pull weight.
Thanks for the offer, if the velocity is a little light I might take you up on that offer..it’s supposed to come in Thursday and I’m planning on testing it out this weekend.

I have a Timney single stage at 3 lb. Its not too light at all. Actually, it feels pretty lousy compared to my bolt gun triggers.

OP
T

Txrookie

Lil-Rokslider
3.5 is my sweet spot, yours may be different. Lovin' the Timneys...put em in all my rifles but the Savages.
Do you leave savage trigger stock or put in something else? I have a 110 in 243, and it’s my favorite gun. It’s not pretty but I’m most comfortable with it.

bsnedeker

WKR
I have the PCC Gold Trigger on my AR...it pulls at 3# and it is sweet! It's a hybrid trigger with a really small amount of take up before it hits the wall. I've built a few other AR's for other guys and I always use this trigger system...everyone loves it.