AR Varmint Trigger

cmahoney

WKR
I am slowly beginning to put together an AR for Coyotes. I don’t have any experience with lightweight AR triggers. I am naturally leaning towards triggertech because I like the one in my 700 so much.

Im looking for opinions and maybe a cheaper option, 2 lbs is about where I would like it to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BAKPAKR

WKR
My daughter and I have Geissele SSA-E (curved) and SD-E (flat) triggers on a couple of rifles. We really like them. The trigger pulls are about 3.5 pounds. I know lighter triggers are available, but I have never tried them. Geissele triggers go on sale quite often.

BAKPAKR

WKR
The SSA-E and SD-E are both two stage. I also have a Geissele Super 3 Gun. It is described as a hybrid between a single stage and a two stage. It can be shot quickly, but we haven’t had any trouble using the two stage triggers hunting.

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using these lately. If you can live with 2 stage, which didn't take me much at all to get used to, they're very hard to beat for the price.

https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-mbt-2s-trigger/

They have a single stage as well, but it's quite a bit heavier than the 2lbs you said you're looking for.

This or the ALG ACT are great budget options. Geissele or one of the canned timney/triggertech options if you want to spend a little more.

ETA: Maybe I should read first, if you want 2 lbs of pull, you're not going to get it out of a budget trigger, end even most of the nice sets will only take you down to ~3. Only one I can think of off the top of my head that gets appreciably lower is the Triggertech AR Diamond.

Last edited:
I have the larue MBT and it’s a nice trigger. I have some 1 pound triggers on a few rifles and it’s not that light but it’s not the combined 4.5 they claim either. This trigger will not be the limiting factor in your accuracy

OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
What do you guys with the two stage triggers think about using them for coyotes, specifically when you have a double. Part of the reason I want to put together this rifle before the winter is the double I missed this year. I think I could have shot both if I was using an AR.

OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
This or the ALG ACT are great budget options. Geissele or one of the canned timney/triggertech options if you want to spend a little more.

ETA: Maybe I should read first, if you want 2 lbs of pull, you're not going to get it out of a budget trigger, end even most of the nice sets will only take you down to ~3. Only one I can think of off the top of my head that gets appreciably lower is the Triggertech AR Diamond.

I realized what you are saying about the weights last night when I was looking at triggers. I was just looking at the La Rue 2 stage and may give it a shot. I can always use it in another rifle if I don’t like it

BAKPAKR

WKR
With a little range time, I doubt that you would have any trouble with a fast second shot using a two stage trigger. The Larue trigger might be a good way to test the water. Plus, Larue always sends you neat extras.

The SSA-E and SD-E are both two stage. I also have a Geissele Super 3 Gun. It is described as a hybrid between a single stage and a two stage. It can be shot quickly, but we haven’t had any trouble using the two stage triggers hunting.

I have the SSA-e in my DD 6.8 and love it! Or get the trigger tec because your tigger pull might be the same for both.

VAHunter01

Lil-Rokslider
With a little range time, I doubt that you would have any trouble with a fast second shot using a two stage trigger. The Larue trigger might be a good way to test the water. Plus, Larue always sends you neat extras.

Yep, that’s how I felt too. Way too good for me not to buy several, and I was paying $100 instead of $80 at the time.

Don’t expect many extras if you just order a trigger though....just saying.

LaRue MBT-2s. Cannot beat the price currently for what you get. Great trigger. If you dont shoot accurately with this trigger then it aint the trigger...