AR10 130gr load development

Ffjmoore

FNG
In california so I have to shot non toxic. Wanted to develop a load for my AR10 to potentially hunt pig. Using a Barnes TTSX 130 and BLC2 powder. I started loading at the COAL recommended on Barnes but ran into compressed load way below max. So I started loading them at magazine length. There was a some overlap between the 2 lengths but was able to fit more powder in the longer ones before I started getting compressed loads, obviously.

What I found crazy was how much a difference the length made. I put a new scope on and zeroed it yesterday so any scope movement should be ruled out. I fired a few rounds before I did the reloads so the barrel temp was normal. Point of aim was the same for both groups. The second group i dialed the scope down to get it closer to the POA. So the first 8 shots were the top group and the second 6 were the bottom group.
20201223_134700.jpg

Here are the velocities for each load. I was just testing for pressure signs so only 1 shot per load.
ar10.jpg

And here are the shots as fired from lowest first.
20201223_211641.jpg20201223_211432.jpg

Im going to stick with the longer COAL and do some 3 shot groups of the fastest 3 and maybe go .5 grains farther.

I did find it interesting that the second group POI was coming down as velocity went up.
I dont know what to make of it all, maybe you do, but i found it to be an interesting day.

Faxon 18" 308 1:10 barrel