AR15 or AR10 - 6.5 Grendel vs 6 creed

keep in mind the factories producing grendel steel case have announced they are ceasing production to ammo cost will get worse with time.
I just bought 3800 brass-cased Hornady and Privi 6.5 Grendel rounds from an online ammo dealer for a good price. I've had no problems finding ammo. Even the bigger local ranch and home type stores have had plenty on their shelves for good prices.

What you you do? Ar10 in 6 creed or ar15 in 6.5 Grendel?
Since you're not afraid to load your own, I'd get an 18" barrel chambered in 22 Creedmoor if you want the most flat-shooting option. The brass can be easily made from 6.5 or 6mm Creedmoor, Lapua SRP case heads will hold up to the abuse the AR will put on them reaching for good velocity. In all my 16.5" bolt rifles and 18" ARs in 22 Creed, I can hit 3075 fps suppresed with a cool-burning load of H4831sc under 95gr SMK. This combo has killed everything it touches like it was hit by lightning, from coyotes to whitetails. It's my favorite round to shoot and load for.

robertchutch

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought 3800 brass-cased Hornady and Privi 6.5 Grendel rounds from an online ammo dealer for a good price. I've had no problems finding ammo. Even the bigger local ranch and home type stores have had plenty on their shelves for good prices.
There is a buffer period between ceasing production and the start of supply issues

I hope brass stays in stock but id expect it to get more expensive

OP
satchamo

satchamo

WKR
In case anyone cares - I decided to actually go another route and I’m having a 243 built in an AR10 - plan to shoot 58 grain superformance.

ccampff

Lil-Rokslider
If you reload, maybe build a 6arc upper as well and you can shoot the same projectile. Then just use each one based on if you want to carry a ar15 vs ar10 weight wise.

BronkoRob

FNG
I ran a 6.5 grendel for a bit. Loved it. Knocked coyotes down without issues. Ended up selling it due to all the ammo issues. Its been almost 2 years and Im just now seeing powders, bullets, primers slowly starting to show back up. great round.

I went back to 223 and really enjoyed it. I had way more 223 reloading supplies laying around then I did 6.5 grendel, so Ive been living off that for a while. Also gets coyotes, but not with the same hammer effect of the heavier grendel rounds I was using.

I have some friends who are really loving the 6ARC, but that 224 Valkyrie is hard to beat. Also it seemed like over the last 2 years of ammo shortage, I always came across 224 valkyrie ammo sitting on shelves.

andyaz

FNG
I solved that dilemma. Put together a Grendel a couple weeks ago and AR-10 components are on their way.
good deal. I use a grendel after too many walk-offs with 223. ammo is getting available and if you reload you just need to get a couple boxes for brass.

if you're worried about ammo availability why not just make the AR a 243? you'll never have an issue and for yotes the difference between 6mm creed and 243 is nil

Vedauvoo

FNG
I just finished building and AR-10 in 22 Creedmoor. The barrel is a 1-8" twist. This works very well with 75 gr ELD-M at 3450 ft/sec.

Down side? It is much heavier than my AR-15 platform rifles. Not a great walking gun.

duckp

FNG
i,m running a 6.5 grendel with a 18 " wilson combat barrel have no regrets i bought up a bunch of bulletts and brass . you can find componuts if you look around starline will run the brass every now and then. im shooting 95 gr. vmax i have shot a few out to 400 yrd at night but dont make it a habit. i don,t think i would go with a 20 " barrel if you put a can on it it gets pretty long. if i build another gun its going to be a 243 so many more options with bullets . but that was,nt one of your choices

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
I got a Saturn barrel and converted my 6.5 Grendel to 6mm ARC. The 6mm ARC will boringly put em in an inch at 100. Haven't hunted with it yet but looking forward to it.

Vedauvoo

FNG
I just finished building and AR-10 in 22 Creedmoor. The barrel is a 1-8" twist. This works very well with 75 gr ELD-M at 3450 ft/sec.

Down side? It is much heavier than my AR-15 platform rifles. Not a great walking gun.
How long is your barrel? I just completed an AR-10 in 22 Creedmoor, 22" barrel. My initial load was 75 gr ELD-M as well. Looks really promising. 3420 ft/sec.

Like you, I just wish the dang thing didn't weigh so much. I had hoped it would serve well as a predator rifle.

Vedauvoo

FNG
How long is your barrel? I just completed an AR-10 in 22 Creedmoor, 22" barrel. My initial load was 75 gr ELD-M as well. Looks really promising. 3420 ft/sec.

Like you, I just wish the dang thing didn't weigh so much. I had hoped it would serve well as a predator rifle.

...The ultimate in stupidity. I responded to my old post and ask the "idiot" a question.

Wondered why I agreed with everything the "idiot" said.

Not a coyote hunter but shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor Stag Arms AR-10 very accurate rifle out to 500 yards as that's the only long distance I have access to on a range. It's a heavy rifle and very steady off the bench.