Arazona OTC January archery.

Hey guys need some opinions here! My hunting partner and I are planning a otc archery mule deer in Arazona in early January. After multiple hours of research still can't lock down a unit. We will be backpacking. Looking for a unit we can get away from the roads! We will be coming from Louisiana so boots on the ground scouting just is not possible. Thanks in advance!! GOD Bless!

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
Not many guys will hand out that detailed of info, I would suggest listening to the Jay Scott podcast he covers this topic frequently. If coues are the target I would draw a line across the upper 3rd of the state, and stay below that.

Good luck finding an area with no roads,VERY few exist.
ATV's don't need roads and either do thier drivers.
P.S. it's A R I ZO N A ! Don't want to end up somewhere
like Mex. Lol! :cool:

OP
O
Not many guys will hand out that detailed of info, I would suggest listening to the Jay Scott podcast he covers this topic frequently. If coues are the target I would draw a line across the upper 3rd of the state, and stay below that.
Thanks for your response! I will do that. Not looking for anyone's honey hole just curious about some more remote units. Really wanting to spot and stalk mule deer. Would be willing to trade some great whitetail hunting here in Louisiana for the right intell. Thank you again.

OP
O
Gotcha! Thanks.
Gotcha! Thanks!

Good luck , interested to see what you end up with. Been thinking about that hunt myself after hearing about it on a podcast.

fmyth

WKR
Keep in mind that some units in AZ can get heavy snow. I was south of Flagstaff in 6a this Jan and we got 20" of snow overnight. Never saw another deer or tracks after the snow fell. I think most of them drop below the Mogollon Rim after the first significant snow of the year.

Last edited:

Birdman88

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed, Jay is extremely informative especially otc coues

TradAg02

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the above regarding snow. I found a good area just below the snow line in 2018. I arrived this year to find 5’ of snow pack at my parking spot. This pushed all of the hunters to lower elevations within the unit.

I scouted some border units earlier this year. I’ve spent a lot of time hunting south Texas so I’m familiar with border patrol, but we don’t have anything on AZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Depends which deer you are looking for? You can find mule deer in basically every unit. If you are looking for a coues deer then look in the southern 1/3 to 1/2 of the state. Be proficient with longer shots 50-60yds. Hunt hard, have fun, glass a lot, and you will have opportunities. Good luck.

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
It's all open compared to Louisiana. OTC is Aug/Sep and Jan. Units vary on when they are open. In general, northern units are open in Aug/Sep and southern units Jan. Look at the regs for details.

Good luck!

Echo what some of the folks above are saying - up north and higher elevations can get some surprising amounts of snow and cold (froze my butt this past January). Get too far south and you can have some uncomfortable (for me) experiences with migrants/smugglers.

OP,

Agree with all of the above. Northern/North Eastern country can get heavy snow, and get into very low temperatures regardless that time a year. Anyone planning a January backpacking trip in those areas should take the necessary precautions for cold weather and snow. That said, the aforementioned weather in those areas will generally keep the hunting population lower in that time of year, especially away from the roads.

In the southern part of the state, there are some great units that hold good deer. However, do not dismiss what others have said about water and illegal immigrants. There is hardly any water in the field, and if you find some, guaranteed there will be others around (hunters or illegals). It is very difficult to pack in enough water to sustain more than a couple days in the field unless you do come across a water source. Then keep the what I said previously in mind. And yes, January in AZ you will be drinking a lot more water than you might imagine. Temperatures can still reach high 70's/80's during the day, but get down into the low 30's at night. Also, there is very little shade opportunities, so keep this in mind for long glassing sessions (which are necessary for the open AZ country).

Good luck and let us know what you end up planning.