Arazona OTC January archery.

If camping in the field, I personally would stay north of the 10. They may be exaggerated but I’ve heard too many stories about drug runners/mules.

If backpacking I assume you don’t want to backpack where you could easily pull up in an ATV. Most of AZ has tons of roads but there are exceptions, if you are in or near a wilderness area, you should have plenty of opportunity for that. 22 and 23 have plenty of remote areas. 24A and especially 24B do too (Superstition Wilderness). You can pretty far away from roads in 31 and 33. I haven’t hunted it but I’ve heard that while 32 has a lot of private property access issues, if you are willing to walk in the long way, it’s pretty remote. The 20 units may be another potential area, but with more roads.

Most of those units have both mule and Coues deer and I would recommend scouting using OnX and starting with the areas recommended by the AZGFD

Last edited:

Walking Birds

Lil-Rokslider
If camping in the field, I personally would stay north of the 10. They may be exaggerated but I’ve heard too many stories about drug runners/mules.

If backpacking I assume you don’t want to backpack where you could easily pull up in an ATV. Most of AZ has tons of roads but there are exceptions, if you are in or near a wilderness area, you should have plenty of opportunity for that. 22 and 23 have plenty of remote areas. 24A and especially 24B do too (Superstition Wilderness). You can pretty far away from roads in 31 and 33. I haven’t hunted it but I’ve heard that while 32 has a lot of private property access issues, if you are willing to walk in the long way, it’s pretty remote. The 20 units may be another potential area, but with more roads.

Most of those units have both mule and Coues deer and I would recommend scouting using OnX and starting with the areas recommended by the AZGFD

The F&G site is pretty good for giving folks a good starting place. That's where a lot of us go when we're looking into a new unit

jragsdal

Lil-Rokslider
I am heading to Southeast Arizona for the first time in January as well. Good Luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patagonia Lake area is good for Coues in January. They’re in rut and you’ll see plenty of deer.
Yes and no. Just be aware that 90%+ of that area is private land once you get away from the lake a bit. There's no guarantee on the OTC hunts, even for those of us that live in great deer country. Snow can definitely be a factor in January, so as an outsider, I'd look at elevations below 5,000' or so. Best of luck.

R_burg

WKR
Seems to me like AZ OTC archery deer is really hyped right now because of podcasts, YouTube, etc... But this hunt is really hard. I wouldn't be traveling out of state for this hunt unless I had an unlimited amount of OT and I HAD to go hunt somewhere in January.

From Louisiana and looking to do this hunt next year as well! Already all in on a Montana trip for this year. Good luck!

Orions.Quest

Lil-Rokslider
I think it's great you want to come to AZ for the OTC tags.
Sounds like you have some experience hunting western states, but huntin AZ is still a learning curve. So I'd suggest keeping it simple, pick a unit with higher deer densities to give you increased chances of multiple stalks a day. This might include picking a unit with both coues and mule deer. Although several people have mentioned snow, it's rare to have a big snow storm in January. The further south you go the less likely you'll encounter snow, I don't have any issues hunting south of I-10. Bring a tripod and expect to glass, glass and glass some more.

Personally I avoid the units that are closer to the human population centers, or I'll hunt during the week to avoid highest hunt pressure. Not trying to talk you out of backpack hunting, however I've found satisfactory bucks within a mile or two of roads, also having a vehicle helps cover country if you want to scout as you hunt and relocate for mature bucks. Even though it's the rut, you can get into areas with low to minimal activity and immature bucks. I'd rather be aggressive and cover country and find some mature bucks, particularly if you aren't familiar with a unit. Also, apply for an archery javelina tag. They are a blast to hunt and great to practice stalking.
If you don't kill in January, remember your OTC tag is good for an entire calendar year. Come back in Aug/Sept or December for more archery opportunity.

dtrkyman

WKR
So what is everyone's opinion on Jan. vs. August hunts? Aside from no rut activity and temps are you finding deer in different areas?

There is plenty of water where I have been hunting so I assume the deer aren't going to abandon the area, maybe just using some different food sources?

What say you?

f8ffa1c7c70aa52feba94ab504572fd5.jpg

Pick a unit and pound it. Killed my first archery buck on that hunt this January

f8ffa1c7c70aa52feba94ab504572fd5.jpg

Pick a unit and pound it. Killed my first archery buck on that hunt this January

Dude thats awesome! Id be excited to shoot that with my rifle, that much more with my bow. How long was your shot?

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
I know it’s shocking but I’d spend the pretty penny for gohunt and then get BaseMap or onX maps