ARCA PLATE FOR LONG RANGE SHOOTING

RFOUST89

Lil-Rokslider
I am having a custom rifle built now. I am considering having a arca plate mounted to the stock, in order to shoot from a tripod. Does anyone else on here run that setup, if so do you recommend it? I am leaning more towards getting it than not.

OP
RFOUST89

RFOUST89

Lil-Rokslider
I've seen those they're awesome. Sawtooth Rifles (Matt Yore) whos building my 300 PRC right now, makes his own. I'm thinking about just having him install one of his own on it. Do you prefer to shoot of your tripod versus a bipod or other rest?

Firestone

WKR
I prefer whatever is most stable in the current situation. So If that means clamping it into a tripod I am gonna do it. So why not have that option is the way I look at it.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Once you have an arca dovetail on your rifle you will never go back! You should look into running a full length rail on the bottom of your rifle and using an arca clamp on your bipod as well. It will provide a huge amount of flexiability when taking angled shots and will only add a few ounces!

OP
RFOUST89

RFOUST89

Lil-Rokslider
Once you have an arca dovetail on your rifle you will never go back! You should look into running a full length rail on the bottom of your rifle and using an arca clamp on your bipod as well. It will provide a huge amount of flexiability when taking angled shots and will only add a few ounces!
I like that idea alot. I have a 2" pic rail on the fore end for mounting a bipod. I would have to get one thats not quite full length.

jeffpg

WKR
I’m having a custom lightweight hunter AR built in 6mm ARC by Sgt of Arms in Texas. They have their own Arca hand guard that I will mate with a 2vets (also in Texas) carbon fiber bipod. I’ll run her suppressed with a Super Hogster thermal for night time pigs & coyotes.

Looking forward to playing with this setup!

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I like that idea alot. I have a 2" pic rail on the fore end for mounting a bipod. I would have to get one thats not quite full length.
If you switched the mount on your bipod from pic to arca you can ditch the pic rail all together and have everything universal! That's assuming the pic rail on your rifle is easy to remove.

FLS

WKR
On my match AR and bolt gun I use full length ARCA rails. Mag well to the end of the stock/ forend. That’s so I can slide my bipod around to accommodate shooting off of different props. When I shoot off of the tripod it’s attached as close to my mag well as is feasible.
On my hunting rifles I have a 4” piece in front of the mag well and use a standard swivel attachment bipod. I don’t see the need for a full length rail and additional weight on a hunting rifle.

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider
I have the short 2"(ish?) plate bought here from Salmon river. LOVE it. Mounted on a Tikka CTR. Works great, really adds capability. I did 2 consecutive sub 2 MOA 5 shot groups standing at 100 yds of a tripod yesterday. Super cool set up.

I'm putting an 8" arcalock rail on mine from Area419. My .22lr trainer has a 4.25" one near the magwell.

bradb

WKR
I have installed them on most of my guns(not drilling my exhibition grade walnut stock out!) I use a variety of plates from super cheap and so on. I have been using the Henderson the most lately. I just want a short little plate on my hunting guns, but can see a little merit in the full length. I am using the anvil so the one gun I have a pic rail in the front still locks in if I wanted. A slot in the plate that matches your screw shaft size can stop side to side movement if it where to come loose. Either way I would not over think it they all work. Yes my preference is short plater and thin sitting as tight to the gun as possible

khuber84

WKR
I have the salmon River arca plates. I like them, however there is an issue with them. The RRS lever clamps on my anvil head and Ckye Pod don't grip the arca tightly and it skids under recoil or by applying too much shoulder to the gun when it's in the tripod. Pretty annoying. These clamps lock up solid on several other arca equipped rifles I have, accept the mpa chassis spigot. But it grips the integrated rail on that chassis just fine. These clamps are set from RRS and offer no adjustment as to tension.

Lawnboi

WKR
I have the salmon River arca plates. I like them, however there is an issue with them. The RRS lever clamps on my anvil head and Ckye Pod don't grip the arca tightly and it skids under recoil or by applying too much shoulder to the gun when it's in the tripod. Pretty annoying. These clamps lock up solid on several other arca equipped rifles I have, accept the mpa chassis spigot. But it grips the integrated rail on that chassis just fine. These clamps are set from RRS and offer no adjustment as to tension.
I had problems as well. Took 2 additional plates but they made it right and got me one that works

You can adjust the clamp on the anvil head. With it unclamped, push the moveable jaw all the way in with 1 hand and spin the clamp clockwise to tighten.

khuber84

WKR
You can adjust the clamp on the anvil head. With it unclamped, push the moveable jaw all the way in with 1 hand and spin the clamp clockwise to tighten.
Hmmmm yeah not on this one. If you look at the rrs instructions there is nothing stated about clamp adjustment. I've completely disassembled the anvil as much as I could have found no means of adjusting tension.

Hmmmm yeah not on this one. If you look at the rrs instructions there is nothing stated about clamp adjustment. I've completely disassembled the anvil as much as I could have found no means of adjusting tension.
Yeah it wasn't in my instructions either. I got pointed to this video.

Edit: sorry I was thinking of the wrong adjustment. They had to put it together somehow and that clamping lever screwed in there someway. I know mine is their latest revision so yours might be a little different.

Last edited:

khuber84

WKR
Yeah it wasn't in my instructions either. I got pointed to this video.

Edit: sorry I was thinking of the wrong adjustment. They had to put it together somehow and that clamping lever screwed in there someway. I know mine is their latest revision so yours might be a little different.
Mine is a first gen anvil, and I cannot rotate the lever more than 90°, it's solid all the way through to the other side. If I rotate the level, the other side rotates too.