Arca Swiss plate + Tikka stock

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Looks great, and I'm considering this exact same setup, taking advantage of the same rear swivel screw nut (I have the same Tikka stock and VA-5 pan head) and drilling a second hole for a screw into a second nut. I have a couple questions (or for others in the know-- @LivetohuntID ?), if you don't mind. How did it work out at the range? I've read some people don't like shooting with a pan head, and having never tried it, I'm not sure why.

Where did you get those M5x8 screws? Does the shape of plate match the contour of the bottom of that part of the stock well enough to solidly attach with just the screws, or would some compound help? As far as fit, any loose play between the rail and the VA-5, or does it lock in pretty tight (I've seen not all Arca rails are exactly the same width)?

Pan heads rotate up and down and swivel side to side. If the ground is not level or the tripod is not set up level, you are unable to adjust out cant in the rifle unless you mess with the legs. When aiming, it has to move in those two directions. So, what makes it good for cameras and glassing makes it less so for a rifle.

Whereas a ballhead moves freely.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I hate glassing with a ball head, so I just have my panhead with me when hunting. I’ve developed tricks to level the gun once I’m really close to being in a comfortable position on target. You can slide a leg in or out slightly to get the rifle level, that’s normally what I end up doing.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I hate glassing with a ball head, so I just have my panhead with me when hunting. I’ve developed tricks to level the gun once I’m really close to being in a comfortable position on target. You can slide a leg in or out slightly to get the rifle level, that’s normally what I end up doing.
That follows what I say a lot. Pick your head for what you want most, glassing or shooting, and figure out how to adapt the other...

cravingame

Lil-Rokslider
I hadn’t planned on it but I could potentially see it being an option with just a tapped hole
On the end to install a sling stud into.
The only problem I see with that option is you would lose the ability to access the rail from the front. If you had the sling stood at the very end you could potentially just lift your sling out of the way and still access the front of the rail.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The only problem I see with that option is you would lose the ability to access the rail from the front. If you had the sling stood at the very end you could potentially just lift your sling out of the way and still access the front of the rail.
Yeah, you couldn't slide it off the front, so it would be like a stop, which isn't a bad thing. The sling would have to drop out of the way, but that hasn't been an issue for me when running things like that.

Update-- just a week ago today I asked some questions above. Since that time I ordered an arca mini from @LivetohuntID, received it, reviewed @hereinaz's posts/vids about tripod shooting, and did the same setup as @07yzryder. Spent a few days dry firing to get ready, then hit the range today when the weather broke. My first 10 shots ever from a tripod, prone and with a rear bag, was under 1" at 100 with my Tikka T3X Lite 6.5 Creedmoor, and fired fairly quickly (maybe 5 minutes). My second 10-shot group I raised the tripod up to shoot from seated without rear support, and after a bit of dry-firing to cut down the wobble, got them in a 1.2" group. Very happy here. THANK YOU to all above for advice/tips/etc. Will be doing this a lot more from different positions.166931971_1977967315689613_8132188277081061583_n.jpg166987196_139598801355443_7648302852720349594_n.jpg166993800_143554801020549_6616709515485414720_n.jpg

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That’s impressive for shooting with only shoulder as rear support. I’m terrible like that.

It’s nice when everything comes together like that!!!