Archery Antelope

SigM1

FNG
I want to hear guys experiences and advice on hunting speed goats with bows. Best tips and tactics, and also decoy use if you guys do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
Don't use a single pin sight, go with a 3 or 5 pin slider Also able to kill out to 80 yards. When I prepare for antelope I will practice between 100-120yds for the biggest majority of the time. Some of the funnest hunting I have ever done without a doubt.

Stalker69

WKR
Its nice to be able to spot and stalk all day long, not just a morning evening thing, or sit by a water hole. Plus you can see them from so far away, it gives you many opertunities. I love my single pin sight as I can dial precise yardage and don’t have to “ pin gap “ shoot. We tried decoys numerous times, but it’s never worked for us yet. Sitting in a blind at a water hole has been the most productive, but man does it get boring. Every damn time I get out to stretch and look around, it seems they appear out of thin air. Spot and stalk is what I try ( like) the most, but they can see extremely good. stay low and move extremely slow. And watch for rattle snakes. Agree it’s some of the funnest hunting I’ve done, javelina are my favorite though. Cool animals for sure.

Last edited:
Went for the first time last year. Sooooo much fun because of the challenge.

Be ready to shoot at least 80-100 yards. I used a decoy that attaches to the front of my bow, but the closest I could get was 70-80 yards. They seemed to be often curious about the decoy, sometimes come toward it. They never closed more than 50 yards or so when they spotted it. So, my philosophy was to get within 100 before I shoes it to them if possible. I never closed the deal, but had best spot-stalk success on singles and pairs.

Water holes had activity as long as there was no rain for a few days. They could come at any time, but usually very early or very late.

Gear musts: knee pads, leather gloves, gaiters. I regretted not having gaiters.

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve also never had luck with decoys, just scare them away the second they see it. Spot and stalk is my favorite way to hunt them. My advice would be if the antelope aren’t in a really good spot to try a stalk don’t even try it. Be patient until you find one in a good spot then go for it. Antelope can be very frustrating because they will get up and move for no apparent reason, but this can also be in your favor. Just because one is in a bad stalking spot one hour they could be in a perfect stalking spot the next hour.

wytx

WKR
Wow, took mine with a recurve at less than 20 yds, shooting out to 80 yds is not neccessary.
Practice your stalking skills for a closer shot.
Decoy only in archery season so as not to get shot at by rifle hunters.
Waterhole hunting works but can be boring. Try a sneak from above on a ridge if possible, they like to bed where they have a good view but don't look above themselves as often.

Jaker_cc

WKR
I used a be the decoy hat and had great success.. I found that if you walk towards them they will scatter, but if you just sit tight in a slight depression with just your head visible they will come check you out. I had multiple inside 80 but ended up killing mine a long ways out on my archery hunt.

7dfa29fa8ff4537f991255afa5e6ff84.jpg

06a0ea9d17c9c64f6e1f9eb28a809fc1.jpg

a9cfa129717414cbeba463120a4fafc6.jpg

You will find that antelope are much more calm just before dark, and at times early AM but definitely right at sunset they are much more approachable. For archery, water-holing is normally the preferred method you just need to make sure you have a good spot or it can be very, and I mean very boring.

Shooting at them a football field away is a bit out there for me when it comes to archery but guys do it, as seen above. It's kind of weird seeing guys step out of a truck, range, and shoot 80-100 yds at standing antelope. When you see antelope running from your truck in August, early September prior to rifle seasons, you can bet they're being road hunted from the 100 yd arrow slingers.

S.Clancy

WKR
Wow, took mine with a recurve at less than 20 yds, shooting out to 80 yds is not neccessary.
Practice your stalking skills for a closer shot.
Decoy only in archery season so as not to get shot at by rifle hunters.
Waterhole hunting works but can be boring. Try a sneak from above on a ridge if possible, they like to bed where they have a good view but don't look above themselves as often.
Terrain is the biggest obstacle. I've stalked and shot goats in broken terrain, you can get very close. However, if you're hunting open terrain you need to be able to shoot. Go in mid-September when they are rutting hard, will make you rethink hunting the elk rut.

Jaker_cc

WKR
I think I take myself too seriously to wear one of those hats. Guess maybe if I had the shirt too, otherwise it might clash with my sitka camo.

It looks dumb as shit, no doubt. But it absolutely a huge part of why I killed a B&C lope with my bow. I caught hell from all my friends until they saw my buck.

Knee pads are another huge part of spot and stalking these things. I forgot them and kneeled down on a rock, looked like a sniper hit me.

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve also never had luck with decoys, just scare them away the second they see it. Spot and stalk is my favorite way to hunt them. My advice would be if the antelope aren’t in a really good spot to try a stalk don’t even try it. Be patient until you find one in a good spot then go for it. Antelope can be very frustrating because they will get up and move for no apparent reason, but this can also be in your favor. Just because one is in a bad stalking spot one hour they could be in a perfect stalking spot the next hour.

Bow killed 3 buck antelope with decoys, all shots under 30 yards. Decoys work great if used are right time of rut and in particular, in my experience, if you are within 200 yds, preferable closer when you pop it up. Popping up a decoy from way off is a pointless exercise, in my experience.

Also arrowed 4 other bucks spot and stalk.

The fun of bowhunting lopes is the thrill of the stalk and the nonstop activity in a good area were can do many stalks in a day.

For guys saying expect to shoot 80 or more yds to bowhunt antelope spot and stalk or with decoy I suggest you are too impatient or need to up your game. It ain’t easy to sneak in close to antelope but far from impossible. It is the challenge of a close well earned shot that defines why it is so darn fun. An absolute favorite big game animal for reasons noted above.

To OP, go for it, try crazy things to get close and have fun. Eight bad stalks then it all comes together is my experience. And have a good, compact camera with a lot of optical zoom on your person at all times. Many great memories there, too, This buck is as close to me and my decoy as he looks. 10 feet. Passed on this one and ate tag soup on the trip....

A824AF03-3B8E-4F1D-B908-5040B486E524.jpeg

This wild scene occured nearly in bow range when spot and stalking. One buck ran in and chased off the one I was hunting. Love chasing them. Even the failed stalks can put a smile on your face.

E04CF74F-8E15-4EEF-AC5F-5AA761A65B54.jpeg

The hats can work too. This is a buddy who ALMOST at the moment of the photo arrowed a great buck I killed a couple days later.

0202904A-4AC3-49EE-B0BA-C6D464AD289C.jpeg

Last edited:

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
Did spot and stalk two years ago and plan on doing it again this season. Was successful after 4 days and had some great action. I hunt deer on the east coast a majority out of a stand. I go west to walk and stretch the legs. Personally don't want to sit on a water hole in a tent.

Agree knee pads are key for spot and stalk. Good luck no matter what method you choose.

I use a single pin and I am comfortable to 50 yards. Had a booner hang up at 77 yards ...good for him.

bmont

FNG
I hunt them with a traditional bow and build a stand in a windmill out over a tank. No need to wear camo, just a big cowboy hat and sun shirt. With the windmill moving they never look up. Not as fun as spot and stock but very effective for 10-20 yard shots and not stuck in a dark box.

OP
SigM1

SigM1

FNG
What I’ve taken from all of you guys is, get in as close as possible out of sight, pop up a decoy as close as possible, go on lots of stalks, grab some buddies, have some fun while you’re at. Can’t wait to make some memories and have a blast this fall, thanks for all the responses guys!

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
What I’ve taken from all of you guys is, get in as close as possible out of sight, pop up a decoy as close as possible, go on lots of stalks, grab some buddies, have some fun while you’re at. Can’t wait to make some memories and have a blast this fall, thanks for all the responses guys!

. You have the perfect plan. Post up pics and a story after season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great info! Plan on doing my first antelope hunt in Aug in southern Idaho. Going to take all of this to heart!