Archery Antelope

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
Will do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple (tall) tales of my previious antelope hunts if interested. Only thing to glean from them is I had a ton of fun.

274A42D3-4F68-47D6-AAD5-8AD53EFC5A09.jpeg

Last edited:

49plates

FNG
Last season was my first after lopes with a bow. Got within 100 yards a few times but not much farther. The good part is that there is no shortage of opportunities.

pdxflung

FNG
hunting lopes with a bow is a blast. You may, but I could not, hunt by sitting in a blind over water. I gave it 1/2 a morning once then no more. The stalks can be very long and slow and frustrating when, after hours, you get busted at 80-90 yrds.

But.......

Man it is fun!

Laramie

WKR
I have taken 3 out of blinds and two stalking. My furthest was 55 yards. If you scout water holes well you can pick the times that are most productive to be in the blind, limiting the boring hours. I prefer water holes as they really increase your chances on a good buck.

An old college buddy and I went out for 4 days in SW Montana last August. something like 25 stalks within 100 yards between the two of us, just could not seal the deal, though it felt very doable with time.

They are tough to stalk for sure, but the same reasons that make it tough make it doable. they disappear and reappear out of nowhere, and are so damn unpredictable. The closest ones I had were not from being super sneaky on well planned stalks, but from being in the right place at the right time (walking back to the truck after a "well planned" blown stalk) and they would appear out of nowhere passing through very stalkable terrain.

I will kill one this summer, or next... or the summer after that... for sure.

WCB

WKR
What I’ve taken from all of you guys is, get in as close as possible out of sight, pop up a decoy as close as possible, go on lots of stalks, grab some buddies, have some fun while you’re at. Can’t wait to make some memories and have a blast this fall, thanks for all the responses guys!

You got the basics. Even though some say it is not needed I would get your effective range as far as possible. Yeah guys kill them at 10-20yards spot and stalk doesn't mean it is the normal. I bet if you talked with someone that has killed a bunch of goats with a bow that is not the norm. In the end shoot as far as you are comfortable and efficient.

I have used decoys...timing is huge. Also, even when they are rutting hard, one goat may see it and run and the next goat comes charging in...doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason some days. I have had a lot of goats well under 50 yards and a few run within feet of me with a decoy. Also, be aware of pressure and if you see other guys using decoys. I have seen some absolute idiot hunters trying to decoy goats through 3 fences and across a state hwy with their truck parked 150 yards away in plain sight.

#1 piece of advice....if you are in any sort of broken terrain and can watch a buck or herd of goats till dark they normally will be in a small drainage or draw or just up against a hill side. Mark it good and slip in before shooting light the next morning 99% of the time I have found them in the exact same spot if not within 100 yards or so.

Flycasual

FNG
Where is the best state to go for the new unexperienced hunter? I have heard this is such a great time and the best western hunting for the money.

I used a be the decoy hat and had great success.. I found that if you walk towards them they will scatter, but if you just sit tight in a slight depression with just your head visible they will come check you out. I had multiple inside 80 but ended up killing mine a long ways out on my archery hunt.

7dfa29fa8ff4537f991255afa5e6ff84.jpg

06a0ea9d17c9c64f6e1f9eb28a809fc1.jpg

a9cfa129717414cbeba463120a4fafc6.jpg
I want one just for the fun factor. they crack me up congrats great goat

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
I put in for an unlimited tag in Idaho along with my elk and deer apps. Hoping to be able to get the dates worked out to go in late August and give them a whirl for the first time.

JC333

FNG
Spot and stalk seems way too much fun as compared to sitting. I've been successful on S&S bear and aoudad and will be heading to Texas for antelope. I know they have great vision and I'm going with a decoy. Either the Montana antelope, moo cow bessie or possibly the "hat" ..... Can't wait to get out there, been cooped up too long

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted them with a bow for the first time last year. It was a blast. Frustrating but fun. I did spot and stalk for two weekends and then turned to a blind after seeing them hit water consistently. Never was a fun of blind hunting until last year. Had alot of antelope come in and multiple opportunities over a two day weekend.

kcm2

WKR
I've taken seven antelope with a bow, all at waterholes. I had no luck at all shooting at them past 30 yards. My biggest buck was right side quartering away when I let the arrow go, but it hit him left side quartering away as he turned when I shot. Had that happen twice. Bucks at 50 yards would watch the arrow, take two steps forward and be a clean miss. They are clearly more wary near a waterhole, so this may not happen if you're stalking in sage.

When they are at the waterhole, they will drop their head down then immediately pop it back up to see if anything has moved or is moving. So, wait until they drop to drink the 2nd time when they'll start hitting the water hard.

And when you put an arrow in one, track him immediately. The blood will dry quickly in antelope country and in tall sage, they are not easy to find.

Good luck.

shayes11

FNG
Hunted them last year for the first time, such a blast. I ended up patterning them crossing open BLM, going between two fields to feed. Set a ground blind along the fence where they slide under and had a 26 yard shot. Worked perfect.

I'd sit the blind in the mornings and afternoons, then spot and stalk throughout the day. Got to 45 yards from a bedded buck and doe but got screwed by a lightning storm. Multiple stalks a day, great learning experience.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk