Archery Changes to Colorado GMUs 80/81 & 14/214

cnelk

WKR
Again - there were changes made this week at the CPW Commission meeting.

You can read all about them here - https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Commission/2022/January/Item.13-Ch_W-2-Final.pdf

Specifically for ELK:

Elk  Limiting archery elk licenses in GMUs 80 and 81 (pages 118 and 119). Since 2005, staff have taken steps to stabilize the elk population in E-32, including decreasing limited antlerless rifle and muzzleloader licenses. Meanwhile, there has been a significant increase in the number of archery hunters in these units, often leading to overcrowding. There have also been continuing issues with poor calf to cow ratios. As a result, limited, either-sex archery licenses have been created for GMUs 80 and 81 and GMUs 80 and 81 have been removed from the over-the-counter, either-sex hunt code (EE000U1A) to address these biological and social issues.  Removing over-the-counter antlerless hunt codes for Game Management Units 14 and 214 (pages 2 and 118). Due to increasing pressure from archery hunters and decreasing harvest success, as well as heavy outdoor recreation use, and decreasing calf to cow ratios, GMUs 14 and 214 have been removed from the valid units included in that over-the-counter archery antlerless elk hunt code (EF000U1A). Over-the-counter, either-sex licenses are still be available for GMU 14 and 214 (EE000U1A). In addition, these GMUs have been removed from List B.

clint6760

FNG
Thanks for the info. Does anyone know that if you apply and draw a tag for unit 80, will it be for only unit 80 or will unit 81 be included.

So looking at the reason for going to a draw, overcrowding and did i read that right? Social issues? Anyhow there is no doubt that the dwindling number of otc units will get hammered and go the way of the draw. Just a matter of time now.....

Stevo

FNG
I think it's only a matter of time, my guess is in the next 2-4 years, that all Colorado OTC will go to a draw. I've done it a few times, and it gets more crowded every year. The OTC will be able to be drawn with 0 points, but at least they will be able to control the number of hunters in a given unit.

NCtrapper

FNG
I think it's only a matter of time, my guess is in the next 2-4 years, that all Colorado OTC will go to a draw. I've done it a few times, and it gets more crowded every year. The OTC will be able to be drawn with 0 points, but at least they will be able to control the number of hunters in a given unit.
I could see this happening as well, in your experience does a unit with 0 required points to draw attract more people or deter them. ( I know there is a limit of tags but wondering if OTC hunters will think they are getting something better in a draw with 0 points unit than they have in a unit that is still OTC)

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
They will be able to be drawn with 0 points for a year or two. But with the amount of people used to hunting CO, I could see it getting where most units are hitting low point creep like WY general. Heck of a lot of folks like you said that have found out they enjoy elk hunting.

Those units needed a break, but this will only continue to contribute to the overhunting of other CO OTC units. It seems inevitable that CO OTC is in store for a limit on NR tags in time.

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
Refer to the 2022 Regulations - page 15

View attachment 385459
Ahh, I should have looked at the January post date and checked the new regs. Skipped right by it in your post and started reading about proposed changes and stuff that had been crossed out, then panicked when I saw that initial proposal not crossed out. I always put an orange cover over my pack during muzzleloader season but prefer to try and blend in for getting in close with the bow. Thanks for the wake-up!

ColoradoV

WKR
It was a needed change 👍. Good to see the cpw listing to the majority of hunters as we all know otc archery has not been sustainable for a decade or more… CPW is slooooow to act so when they do you know it was long overdue lol…

No doubt soon all units will be draw for archery elk and with a 80-20 res no res split crowding will start to at least stabilize and will be a huge improvement for elk hunting in Colorado.

Again good to see the CPW listing to majority of archery hunters rather than just a few well connected folks…. Hope to see a few more units next year added to the list and start tone recovery process in those units.