Archery Dall hunt

jcc1590

FNG
Hey y’all been lurking for a while now lots of great info here. Looking to get some information/tips/pointers. I’ll be going on a dall hunt later this year. I’m a life long western hunter and more recently have made the switch to archery only and loving it. Looking for any insight to an archery dall hunt vs a rifle hunt. Will be going with my dad he’s killed two dalls and a stone he has a good amount of insight but he’s not much of a bow hunter. Any bow specific info is much appreciated. Thanks

I would say Canada. AK does not have the terrain or numbers of sheep for high success archery hunts*. There are places that are more conducive than others to bow hunt. So I would make sure they have had archery success in that specific area before. Rifle hunts are pretty straight forward though in either place. In my bowhunting experience if there is a rifle at hand, you are most likely going to kill one with it....

*unless you get lucky and draw a TOK tag in AK

Last edited:
OP
J

jcc1590

FNG
haha have definitely have been told not to bring a rifle. It might be hard to resit the rifle my dad will be hunting with. Im feeling pretty good with the outfitter I have booked in NWT. Just looking for any info/stories/tips from guys who have done it before they seem few and far between online.

Bambistew

WKR
They are far and few between, because the success rate is very low. The archery hunts here by Anchorage run about 7-10% at best. about 50 hunters kill like 3-4 a year and its any ram...

We have extremely varied terrain to hunt them in most is very conducive to stalking with a bow. IMO the challenge of bowhunting is not the terrain but being patient and waiting them out. They will make a mistake but it might take a week or more for them to get in a favorable spot, same goes for rifle hunting...

Good luck if you go with a bow, that's quite a challenge! Look up Jonah Stewart and talk with him about archery hunting sheep, he has killed about as many with a bow as anyone and guides archery hunters.

I taken a Dall with my bow in the Mackenzies...2017 with Canol Outfitters. Also a Stone in BC with the bow. Check out a thread I started called “Bowhunting Thinhorns” over on Bowsite. Lots of good info there from myself and other successful archery sheep hunters. Good luck!

as.ks.ak

WKR
I taken a Dall with my bow in the Mackenzies...2017 with Canol Outfitters. Also a Stone in BC with the bow. Check out a thread I started called “Bowhunting Thinhorns” over on Bowsite. Lots of good info there from myself and other successful archery sheep hunters. Good luck!

Could you post a link to that bowsite thread? I couldn’t find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk