Archery elk camp suggestions?

Ranger 692

Lil-Rokslider
The elk camp photo thread got me thinking about next season and my plans...still debating whether I’ll truck camp or actually camp a ways in next season, it will be my first elk hunt. If I were to camp, what’s a good tent/sleeping starter setup be that would cover my bases here in WY in late September? I do have an REI Half Dome but that’s it, no sleeping bags, pads, etc. I’m guessing the Half Dome won’t cut it but not sure. I’d appreciate any suggestion/advice, thanks. If I do decide to truck camp I’d take any tips or advice there as well.

4rcgoat

WKR
That half dome would probably do just fine in most situations. I run a big agnes insulated pad,mountain hardware 28 degree bag and with some additional layers handy im comfortable for just about all September can throw at me. Just be prepared for the occasional dusting of September snow.

Attachments

• 20160924_111508.jpg
    20160924_111508.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 62

warrbuk

WKR
A few years back we got 4 straight days of snow in mid september in Wyoming. Sure glad I was in a 12x12 alaknak tent with a stove.

Wapiti1

WKR
Simple fact, you never know. The half dome will more than likely be fine. I'd say 90%. If you want a 100%, you have to go 4 season. Tipi, pyramid, or 4 season tent. I like a pyramid. You'll have to get happy with floorless if you go tipi or mid.

Sleeping pad. Thermarest self inflating or insulated fully inflatable. I have a neoair insulated and a Klymit static V insulated. Both have done well and are warm pads. Self inflating are a little more durable, but are heavier. Ones to look at are the Neoair, Exped downmat or synmat, Big Agnes and Klymit for a budget option. Take a repair kit and learn how to find leaks.

I use an EE 20 degree down quilt until late season, then go to a -20 full down bag when night temps hit 10 and colder. I sleep hot, though. I've used this quilt in Montana, Colorado and Alaska without issue. If you like a bag, look at the Big Agnes Lost Ranger, or Mountain Hardware Lamina bags. There are others, but I've used these.

If you truck camp, use the same tent, or get a bigger cheap one and sleep on a fat foam pad with the heaviest sleeping bag known to man. Weight means nothing truck camping, just be mindful of bulk. Those big cheap 6 man tents are just fine for a base camp in most cases.

Jeremy

I’ve created my own “hybrid” style. I think I’ll call it “Backcountry Truck Camp”. I’ll bring my backcountry gear and have a truck camp. Depending on where I hunt, truck camp could mean my travel trailer.

I’ll bring 7-10 days of food for the backcountry, and some real food, extra clothes, water for bathing and lots of luxuries for truck camp.

I can also hike in for a week in a predetermined location, or do a couple 2-3 nighters in different locations.

When I’ve hiked in to a predetermined location where everything in between my backcountry camp and truck camp is good hunting, I’ve hunted back and forth between the 2 locations and stayed the night at whichever camp was closer when the sun starts to set.

The luxuries of truck camp plus being able to resupply and head back in gives me more options. If I want to jump in the truck and check out backup plan C, I can leave the backcountry camp right where it is and go hunt another area if I want. My backcountry camp should be no more than 3 - 4 miles in. This affords me the time for the distance I’m moving back and forth and not being in so deep I may have issues getting meat out. If packed in 3 miles, I can extend that 2-3 more miles in and bring meat to backcountry camp and then to the truck allowing some time for food and rest and not killing myself.

ElkNut1

WKR
A base camp should have heat, this equates into comfort. Stay mobile. Don't get sucked into the glamor of a Bivy hunt, you have no elk hunting experience! Being mobile allows you to hunt countless areas in hopes of locating huntable elk, a backcountry hunt can rob you of this!

ElkNut

Werty

WKR
Ii just bought a eskimo insulated ice shanty, for hunting out of my truck. I'm sick of the wind flapping rain fly, low head room, time it takes to set up a big tent. I can set this up in about 3 minutes. It will allow me to be more mobile.

satchamo

WKR
Kodiak canvas flex bow + cot + mr buddy heater on a 20 lb tank will have you not even miss your bed at home. Listen to elknut - basecamp and drive to various areas and hunt in and out until you find elk. I hunted a general unit this year in the last week of September and found elk nearly every place I went using this strategy.

Elknutty

FNG
If the budget is tight, use the tent you have and put your money in a quality backpack, sleeping bag and You can’t go wrong with a thermarest pad. There are several companies that make quality sleeping bags. I would check out the Kuiu down bags. The down is treated so it doesn’t absorb water. I would suggest a cold weather bag, that way you will be comfortable in most weather. I have a 20* and a 0*. I use my 0* for most hunts Sept-Nov.

fmyth

WKR
My recipe for comfortable affordable base camp:

Kodiak Tent 10x14 is comfy for 2
Cot/insulated pad/20 deg bag
Buddy heater/hose ext/filter CO detector and a 20lb propane tank
Cheap Walmart rug for entry and runner for next to your cot

I can set up this camp or take it down and pack it up in an hour by myself so no big deal if I need to move during the hunt.

If you haven’t camped much and will be buying new gear I recommend thoroughly testing it and seeing how it carries and how you sleep on it before heading into the back country. If you aren’t able to thoroughly test ahead of the season then Id opt for truck camping. If you’re in good shape though you can still get far off the roads on day hunts from the truck. Truck camping will give you a lot of luxuries that you have to sacrifice if you’re carrying your gear in.

Last edited:
Your REI tent will work fine for truck camping.in a pinch you could probably split the weight between two people for backpacking too. If you don’t have a bag and pad, I’d focus on that first and truck camping. Listen to Elknut, truck camping is your best bet as a frist time elk hunter. It’s easier to move than a bivy hunt, plus you already have a tent.

bz_711

WKR
A base camp should have heat, this equates into comfort. Stay mobile. Don't get sucked into the glamor of a Bivy hunt, you have no elk hunting experience! Being mobile allows you to hunt countless areas in hopes of locating huntable elk, a backcountry hunt can rob you of this!

ElkNut

STOP...Read the quote above 10 times...then read it again 10 times. First time elk hunters should post this on their bathroom mirror at home that first year leading up to their hunt:)

nvkevin

FNG
Don't go all in on a backpack hunt for your first time. While it can definitely work out for you, the bottom line is elk are hard to hunt, and sometimes even harder to find. Elk are where you find them. That could be 1/2 mile from your truck, or in the next county. Staying mobile, especially if you don't know the area, is absolutely crucial to finding elk.

11boo

WKR
Any decent tent with heat and a cot will do wonders for morale, particularly when it gets cold and wet. A wood stove will dry wet gear better than propane heat. Truck camp is the way.

Unless you love mountain house food, a good steak and a little bourbon in the evening are what is good in life.

5F548E2D-88BB-4D67-B2CF-31696479D4F7.jpeg