Archery elk Colorado

nebhunt

WKR
I'm planning to archery elk hunt in Colorado this coming September. We are going to back pack into an area off the road about 2 miles. My question is what time of the month would you go for 10 days up to two weeks. The moon starts to get bright around the 8th and is full on 14th. The black powder guys start the 14th and end on the 22nd.

Jbehredt

WKR
No perfect answer. Pick one and go. I’m going to focus most of my vacation days the weeks before and after muzzle this year. I’ll also be out Labor Day weekend though, with everybody else.

Let me add, the moon is the least of my considerations. It’s a handy excuse when you can’t find the elk but I don’t use it to plan my hunts.

OFFHNTN

WKR
I'm planning to archery elk hunt in Colorado this coming September. We are going to back pack into an area off the road about 2 miles. My question is what time of the month would you go for 10 days up to two weeks. The moon starts to get bright around the 8th and is full on 14th. The black powder guys start the 14th and end on the 22nd.

This question comes up a lot. Each year can be different, but do you want to hunt unpressured elk, but not have as much bugling or rut action? Then go early. If you want to catch the rut, go middle to late September. If it's an area that doesn't take many points to get a muzzy tag, be prepared for gun fire and more hunting pressure. Ask yourself what you want to experience in the hunt, and pick your dates from there. Good luck!

OP
N

nebhunt

WKR
I might just have to split my time. Hunt a week before muzzleloader season and if I don't tag out go back out the last week of September.

jmez

WKR
If you are thinking of splitting time I'd go the first week of the season. Get in there right away when there hasn't been pressure. We have had really good luck early season Co and cold calling.

Tough question for this year with the moon. I would still prefer going before Muzzleloader season.

ElkNut1

WKR
Sept 10th - 24th would be my 14 days! My one thought is why spike camp 2 miles? I'd come back to my base camp with that short distance! If at all possible stay mobile & return to a base camp each day if not biving out some serious miles!

ElkNut/Paul