Archery Elk hunters clothing/gear input needed.

Hey gents,

Just found out I am going on an Elk hunt with a friend to Idaho at the end of august for a week or 10 days. I am just curious what sitka gear you recommend for that time of year as I have no idea what the weather is like in the mountains that time of year. I currently have a bunch of first lite base layers, first light rain gear, and a kuiu puffy. What im looking at buying is:

-ascent pant
-mountain pant
-traverse zip-t (to use as a mid layer but primarily as an outer layer over my merino. Other suggestions?)
-Jet stream jacket for outer layer while glassing or if its cold. (other suggestions?)
-beanie and ballcap

Does anyone have any other recommendations for a light outer layer that might be better than the traverse zip t? Or a better suggestion than the jetstream jacket? Im just looking for help building a system and really any input is greatly appreciated. Also I can get sitka for roughly the same price as the kuiu counter part so it wont be more or less to go a certain route.

Next question for any Idaho hunters is what rating sleeping bag do you guys recommend for archery? Down to 40? 20? 15?

Thanks guys all help is greatly appreciated.

Beendare

WKR
Weather varies, but earlier is usually a tad warmer. FWIW, We are always at high elevation above 8k.

What I wear;Ascent pant or equal...sometimes the mtn pant if its colder. I almost never wear LJ's on these archery elk hunts as we are almost always moving.....but know guys that do.

Short gaiter...tall gaiter if its pouring rain

LS Merino top, 125 or 145 wt....starting in the am with fleece top or that traverse over it. Then good rain gear of course....I like the Kuiu best....just haven't been impressed with GT.

I like the syn puffys as an addl layer if in camp or sitting and its cold.

I'm a warm sleeper and use a 20 deg bag...which is more than enough for me.

wseidel

WKR
On our archery elk hunt to NW Wyoming last fall (followed by 2 weeks of rifle) I used two pieces of Sitka gear for the first time - the mountain pant and the fanatic hoody. Temps in mid-September at the higher elevations called for the addition of a base layer and fleece outer jacket in the mornings. The mountain pants are great with the flexibility (stretch), durability, camo pattern and abundance of pockets. The fanatic hoodie had a built in face mask which was a nice addition...especially in cooler weather when sitting at a wallow. Have a wonderful trip and try to stay as long as possible - you'll grow to love hunting in the high country (mountains, deep timber, meadows) and take full advantage of the opportunity. Hope this helps.

KurtR

WKR
For that time of year i think the flash pull over might be more versatile. Last year in idaho during rifle i wore my quarter zip the majority of the time and put the traverse cold weather hoody on a few times glassing. I would think with your kuiu puffy and that flash as a wind break you would be set for rifle. The jet stream is warm as in i wear it when it is 10 degrees here in South Dakota with the wind blowing and dont get cold ice fishing.

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
Why are you looking at so much new clothing? It sounds like you've got a pretty solid kit already. Buy a pair of Kanabs or the new Obsidian pants from First Lite and let 'er eat. Late August is going to be plenty toasty during the day, but it will still get plenty cold at night. You most likely won't be wearing a base layer on your legs during the day but you will be glad you have it through the night. Not sure what merino base layers you have but I recommend a lightweight, long sleeve (for sun protection) merino shirt and something like the Kanabs with no base layer for cruising through the day. Something like the Chama is good for chilly mornings and evenings. The puffy and rain gear (and bottom base layer) for when it gets cold/wet.

Temp swings are big in the mountains here. It can easily be in the 80's in the day and turn sub-freezing at night. If you're spiking, a 20 deg bag is a nice balance of pack weight/space and warmth. You can sleep in your clothes if you need a little extra. If you're sleeping close to your truck and not packing your bag around, you won't regret having the extra warmth and being able to sleep in fewer layers.

OP
B
Why are you looking at so much new clothing? It sounds like you've got a pretty solid kit already. Buy a pair of Kanabs or the new Obsidian pants from First Lite and let 'er eat. Late August is going to be plenty toasty during the day, but it will still get plenty cold at night. You most likely won't be wearing a base layer on your legs during the day but you will be glad you have it through the night. Not sure what merino base layers you have but I recommend a lightweight, long sleeve (for sun protection) merino shirt and something like the Kanabs with no base layer for cruising through the day. Something like the Chama is good for chilly mornings and evenings. The puffy and rain gear (and bottom base layer) for when it gets cold/wet.

Temp swings are big in the mountains here. It can easily be in the 80's in the day and turn sub-freezing at night. If you're spiking, a 20 deg bag is a nice balance of pack weight/space and warmth. You can sleep in your clothes if you need a little extra. If you're sleeping close to your truck and not packing your bag around, you won't regret having the extra warmth and being able to sleep in fewer layers.

Thanks for all the input guys, it is appreciated.

And as far as new clothing I just want to make sure I have all that I will need for whatever I may encounter. I will be spike camping back a few miles and don't plan on coming out for 7-10 days unless I tag an elk. The base layers I have currently are the Firstlite (2) Llano and (2) Chama qz as well as the matching bottoms. I just want to get 2 pairs of pants so I can swap them depending on temps or if one gets wet. Mainly I am looking for input on what people are using for their outer layer mid morning or mid day, as well as their outer layer when its cold and windy glassing. If its just a core layer, the traverse zip, peloton etc. The Jetstream appealed to me as an outer I can put on over my base layers if its windy/cold/drizzling and I am sitting glassing or very slowly moving. I read a lot of threads of people loving the Jetstream but it might have been for a later time period. Or If I would be able to get away with buying the traverse zip T and the traverse hoody (for colder) and use the rain jacket as a wind breaker. I just love softshells.

Scoot

WKR
My suggestion:
1 pair of pants (I prefer Mountain pants, but Ascent are fine too)
merino long sleeve shirt
Jetstream, Traverse, or 90% jacket for top (or equivalent from other company)
puffy top
beanie
baseball cap
2 sets of socks
1 pair of boots
No other clothes-- no need for it. As long as you're hauling it on your back, don't bother with more IMO. If you're going in on horses, bring everything and anything!

If it were me I'd bring a 15 degree bag, but I'm kind of a cold sleeper.

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
My suggestion:
1 pair of pants (I prefer Mountain pants, but Ascent are fine too)
merino long sleeve shirt
Jetstream, Traverse, or 90% jacket for top (or equivalent from other company)
puffy top
beanie
baseball cap
2 sets of socks
1 pair of boots
No other clothes-- no need for it. As long as you're hauling it on your back, don't bother with more IMO. If you're going in on horses, bring everything and anything!

If it were me I'd bring a 15 degree bag, but I'm kind of a cold sleeper.

I'd have a hard time disagreeing with this. Only things I would change would be to take a llano and a chama (instead of either/or). The chama is a little warm for hiking around during the day that time of year, imo, but the llano isn't quite enough when it gets chilly. I ran the Mountain pants and the traverse hoody for a while and thought they were plenty serviceable, but since have moved away from the sitka stuff for the most part. Great products, I just found other stuff that was a little more versatile and fit better with what I do. Take a neck gaitor as well. They take nothing to pack but are invaluable for sun protection/added warmth when needed.

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
It occurs to me that I'm giving this advice with the assumption that your going to Central ID, even though you never stated as much.

OP
B
It occurs to me that I'm giving this advice with the assumption that your going to Central ID, even though you never stated as much.

I will be going around the Salmon area. My buddy just moved there out of the military so it will be both of our first times. Were not too sure what to expect as far as weather opening week. Plan to be above 8000 feet, but scouting will dictate where we end up going. Any other clothing tips or idaho tips for that matter? I appreciate all of the info. Just trying to make sure i have the right gear for what i might encounter.