Archery elk hunting Montana.

Planning my first diy archery solo elk hunt to Montana in 2022. Just wondering if a Ebike is a worthwhile option for western Montana or is it limited just like a regular atv on certain trails. Just wondering whether to have a ebike or my atv and a regular fat bike to get farther back.

I would throw your e bike in, there are definitely places where you could use one, I use one to spring bear hunt a couple spots there every year, and no its not illegal where I use mine. My old stomping grounds elk spot has trails that its legal on as well. If you call the forest service and talk to them, they can be pretty helpful about some areas and whether they are or aren't legal

OP
Hunterbobko
I would throw your e bike in, there are definitely places where you could use one, I use one to spring bear hunt a couple spots there every year, and no its not illegal where I use mine. My old stomping grounds elk spot has trails that its legal on as well. If you call the forest service and talk to them, they can be pretty helpful about some areas and whether they are or aren't legal
Thanks a lot for the advice. Appreciate the reply.

Hiwallman

Lil-Rokslider
Since you are coming to Western Montana in September to archery hunt I would take the ATV and fat tire bike. One snowstorm could make the Ebike virtually useless. Plus…you will be limited to motorized trails anyway unless on BLM land. No sense letting an ATV pass you going up the hill When you are trying to be stealthy on an EBike. Use the fat tire bike on the non motorized trails Except when in wilderness areas. I also own an EBike.

I don’t have an e bike but most of the trails in the area we hunt go up from the road. Dirt bikes seem like the way to go I’ve seen them climb some stuff I didn’t think was possible.

Best place for those are gated roads. Get a travel map for the National Forest you hunt. I shows all travel restrictions. Even in one area every road can have different restrictions.

AbSandy

FNG
ebikes work great on the alpine gravel roads at night trying to locate bulls bugling! They are banned behind most gates though.

OP
Hunterbobko
Since you are coming to Western Montana in September to archery hunt I would take the ATV and fat tire bike. One snowstorm could make the Ebike virtually useless. Plus…you will be limited to motorized trails anyway unless on BLM land. No sense letting an ATV pass you going up the hill When you are trying to be stealthy on an EBike. Use the fat tire bike on the non motorized trails Except when in wilderness areas. I also own an EBike.
Ya that’s the way I’m thinking now. Thanks