Archery Elk Hunting Sucks!!! But I love it!

Gobbler36

WKR
Man recently moved to Idaho and this was my first season to hunt elk with a bow. I've been on rifle hunts for cow only and had success my first 4 day trip I had several encounters and drew back on a spike and because of two limbs didn't feel comfortable releasing the arrow, 29 yds closer and could of closed the deal on a cow but wind swirled and she was gone, next day had a really good bull 20 ft but stood behind thick brush all I could see were antler tips, ended up stalking and shooting a mule deer buck. Next four day trip I try a new area since an outfitter moved into the first area and I get rained and sleeted on for two days and I hear no bugles or see any elk, I was solo this second time and I had a maximum distance I was willing to try and pack a bull by myself so this limited me some, but I felt like I was in a good area and was finding what I thought was fresh sign but never could cross any. This game is full of ups and downs I went from inches to closing the deal to anger frustration along with wet cold boots and tired feet from miles of hiking through dead fall. With all that said this elk thing with a bow is addicting and I will continue to learn and hike further and higher for those few encounters is what keep us all coming back. For now I will have to wait till November to hopefully get a cow with my muzzleloader. What's everyone's strategy for hunting elk in the rut, what areas are you looking for? Terrain features? Vegetation?

Bar

Banned
I hunt the muzzleloader season and still hunt the nastiest, thickest, dark timber I can find. The more blow down the better. It's a guaranteed way to find elk and solitude from other hunters.