Archery elk Lolo units 10 and 12 info

KevinDTX

FNG
I bought an archery tag for Lolo and have never set foot in the unit. I will be hunting it every weekend in September and looking for someone else that will be hunting or has hunted to share info with. I’ve spoke with the biologist and one other guy that has hunted it and don’t feel like I’m much better off than when I started. I’m aware there are very few elk and a lot of wolves and it’s steep and thick and there are very few elk and a lot of wolves. Figure if someone wants to partner up and share info we can cover more ground. Thanks in advance!

Huntnnw

WKR
I hunt it and as with most info is closely guarded. Hope you have more then weekends to hunt it. There is no where close to hunt it and if you are hiking in you will need time to pack meat

OP
KevinDTX

KevinDTX

FNG
Yes planning on taking the third week in sept off and hunting for 9 days straight. and if I get one down on the weekend I will do what has to be done to get it packed out. Would be a good problem to have.

TheTone

WKR
There are a decent amount of fire closures in the area right now. Hope for rain between now and when you show up

I hunt it and as with most info is closely guarded. Hope you have more then weekends to hunt it. There is no where close to hunt it and if you are hiking in you will need time to pack meat
Good man :)

OP
It seems to have become more and more popular year after year If you find elk in that area, keep it to your self. A lot of info has been passed down from prior generations and should remain a secret.

As stated above fires in the area has many of us praying we will have a bow season. Camp in your truck and cover as much country as you possibly can. I personally drive fs roads and night bugle, if I locate elk I’ll sleep in the rig and hunt em the next morning. Good luck 🤙🏼

OP
KevinDTX

KevinDTX

FNG
There are a decent amount of fire closures in the area right now. Hope for rain between now and when you show up
Yeah there are a ton of closures! Knocked out a couple areas I was looking already.

OP
KevinDTX

KevinDTX

FNG
As stated above fires in the area has many of us praying we will have a bow season. Camp in your truck and cover as much country as you possibly can. I personally drive fs roads and night bugle, if I locate elk I’ll sleep in the rig and hunt em the next morning. Good luck 🤙🏼
Thanks for the reply and good luck to you as well

Huntnnw

WKR
weather patterns are changing more now. First week of august some areas in there got a ton of rain. There was mud puddles and roads washed out. There is more rain coming tuesday and wednesday and looks like the weekend could have t storms

OP
KevinDTX

KevinDTX

FNG
weather patterns are changing more now. First week of august some areas in there got a ton of rain. There was mud puddles and roads washed out. There is more rain coming tuesday and wednesday and looks like the weekend could have t storms
All that rain should slow the fires down.

I bought an archery tag for Lolo and have never set foot in the unit. I will be hunting it every weekend in September and looking for someone else that will be hunting or has hunted to share info with. I’ve spoke with the biologist and one other guy that has hunted it and don’t feel like I’m much better off than when I started. I’m aware there are very few elk and a lot of wolves and it’s steep and thick and there are very few elk and a lot of wolves. Figure if someone wants to partner up and share info we can cover more ground. Thanks in advance!
So I got a tag for this unit this year and have read what others said was wanting to know what you found out once there. I have been to this unit before and have hunted the panhandle unit in the past. I was in this unit fly fishing. So would love any info you will share.

If you were fly fishing in 10 I’m guessing you’ve explored the Kelly creek area. Not a bad area to start exploring but has been wolfed out pretty bad. Locals still kill elk around there every year so don’t be discouraged. I would also explore some spots around the reservoir. If your from Spokane(509), I would highly recommend hunting the panhandle if you have the option. Much better elk density up there. Terrain is nearly identical to panhandle. Good luck 👍

If you were fly fishing in 10 I’m guessing you’ve explored the Kelly creek area. Not a bad area to start exploring but has been wolfed out pretty bad. Locals still kill elk around there every year so don’t be discouraged. I would also explore some spots around the reservoir. If your from Spokane(509), I would highly recommend hunting the panhandle if you have the option. Much better elk density up there. Terrain is nearly identical to panhandle. Good luck 👍
Thanks for the reply and yeah nf Clearwater and Kelly Creek, fly fishing both, have came over hoodoo pass. I have hunted the panhandle and the real reason I chose this over that unit it, from the research I have done is this had a little better success rate and looks to have less hunters. I'm guessing due to not having much around as far a gas and being more remote. I will make sure to have some spots around the reservoir(talking about doworshak I'm guessing?) I will also be bringing a rifle incase we see wolf's as I will be carrying a couple wolf tags and with the bounty on there heads right now would even give up the elk tag if it came to it. Another tips recommendations you have?

Yep they will pay you 1,000 in 10 if you kill a wolf as long as your a member of the foundation for wildlife management. And yes Dworshak. Go scout, be in great shape, and be mobile 👍

Yep they will pay you 1,000 in 10 if you kill a wolf as long as your a member of the foundation for wildlife management. And yes Dworshak. Go scout, be in great shape, and be mobile 👍
Thanks that's the plan and the bounty if your a member right now is a little higher then that due to the state and some other adding to it its 5k a wolf tell it runs out. And if it's like the panhandle great shape is what I will need. Lol thanks a best of luck to you.

Wow I didn’t know it was that high. That’s great. Find the wolves and your close to the elk. I appreciate it best of luck to you🤙🏼

Thanks for the information. I just joined The Foundation for Wildlife Management, pending approval. I will be in 10A this year solo as I was part of the ciaos on December 1st like everyone else. I have hunted ID for the past 6 years and 10A is a first. I plan to spend a lot of time in the unit this summer and look for isolated pockets. Good luck everyone!

corrynz

FNG
Thanks for the information. I just joined The Foundation for Wildlife Management, pending approval. I will be in 10A this year solo as I was part of the ciaos on December 1st like everyone else. I have hunted ID for the past 6 years and 10A is a first. I plan to spend a lot of time in the unit this summer and look for isolated pockets. Good luck everyone!

I have this same tag and will be there first of September and be there 10 days looking for a hunting buddy

Hey