Archery Elk question from new elk hunter

First post, new(ish) Archery Hunter. Last year first year (spent the previous 20 years guiding steelhead in the fall) but was able to come to full draw twice last year but just didn't work out. Learned a ton. But there is so much great info in this thread and for a newbie its much appreciated. I have been out scouting quite a bit this summer and have a couple of zones where I am seeing a ton of sign both new and old and looks like it should have good feed come September. Just forcing my way through .5 mile of blow down to get into some great areas more conducive to actually hunting efficiently. Getting meat back out through that blowdown and to the truck could be a whole other story. :p Thanks for all the great info many post on here. Its super helpful

I am 52 and a seasoned hunter from the s.e., but i am new to elk hunting. I have been wanting to go elk hunting for decades, but life and other things always got in the way. I decided to make it happen since i'm not getting any younger. I have a strategy question that keeps coming into my head. I have done hours and hours of e-scouting for the wilderness area that i'm going to hunt. I have lots of gps spots marked from a couple miles from the trailhead to many miles deeper into the wilderness area. The terrain is rough and steep in this wilderness area. I am going out in late July to scout for 5 days and check the gps spots to put boots on the ground and see what they look like for real, and to look for other glassing spots, wallows, good areas.

I plan on bow hunting Sept 19 - 25. My question is, should I hunt my way out to my farther waypoints 6+ miles back or spend valuable time hunting the closer spots that have been hit already by ppl and work my way out to my further spots more slowly?
I am thinking of just bypassing my closer 2-4 mile spots and go straight to the furthest ones in hopes that the elk will be pushed out that way, or at least not messed with as much. But I don't really want to pass prospective elk along the way unnecessarily.

PS edit: in response to comments of going deep and camping back there and being able to haul out an elk. 16 year old son will be with me so packing/hauling is shared. Not wanting to have input derailed into whether a first time elk hunter should be going deep or not. Really just looking for input focused specifically as to whether to hunt my way deep over a couple days, or just head straight back deep where I think elk might get pushed to, or at least less messed with.

Thanks for any input.
I have shot elk 3 miles from trailhead and 0.25 miles from trailhead. Elk can move a long distance in response to a lot of different factors. In general remember elk are big herd animals and will make sign where they are. If you see a lot of fresh sign 1 mile in, hunt it. If not, keep going.
Only other thing I will add is to have backup plans for the general area. If you don’t see sign in the area, a big move to a different trailhead should be a back pocket plan also.

Sled

WKR
Thanks for the input. I doubt I would pass one up if I had an opportunity on opening day to kill one 300 yds from the truck, but the idea of that bums me out. I am looking forward to the full immersion experience of solitude, no road noise, star gazing at night, and working hard. Getting one that close to the truck really would piss me off.

you, sir, are looking for a good camping experience that just happens to be during elk season. nothing wrong with that but it's a tall order these days. set your priorities and decide what you can live with and without.

now that i got that out of the way...if i couldn't scout before then i'd pack a limited distance in and be willing to cover ground going lite. leave a base camp up but be willing to go coyote if the situation calls for it. after covering some ground you'll know where to be and have a better chance at harvesting.

Be prepared... I packed a bull out 8.5 miles 2500' of elevation change (up hill), 3 guys in our mid 20s, took 3 days. Needed a day off after we were done. Packing an elk for miles sounds badass until you have to actually do it.
Sore muscles that you didn't even know existed after that!

Ucsdryder

WKR
When you think you’re Billy Badass, then you get to a spot where it’s easier to go 300 yards without touching the ground...as you can see by the tracks, the elk don’t mind it.
2238F272-1E7E-42A1-A6EC-F655F9C6E2F8.jpeg

This is on the way back from trying to get to a bull before a storm, 2.5 miles of this straight. So I had already been through it once, before it snowed. I was sooooo frustated. Pretty much no way but over the top the entire way. I fell multiple times, once face down into a small creek that I couldn't see because it was snow covered. Not a great scenario. It was sunny when I left, and 75 degrees the day before. Imagine being deep back, and shooting a bull deep in this stuff. Ain't gonna deter me one bit, but just giving perspective here for some of the newbies.

I don't want deter anyone one bit. I want you to hunt hard and not give up and be successful. That's usually the key to the guys that are successful every year. They do what it takes to get on animals no matter the terrain. I just want anyone who is new to this to be have an understanding about what they can get into so there is no surprises. No matter how bad it sucks, no matter how much the pain and suffering, I always come out with a positive experience. Make friends with pain and you'll never be lonely.

Attachments

• IMG_0551.jpg
    IMG_0551.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 57

Gobbler36

WKR
My 16 year son is coming with me. I'll manage.
I love this haha
New to elk hunting and a guy try’s to give you some good advice and you completely blow it off, just because randy newberg says to go 6 miles or more means you should right???
just because 6 miles on your google earth doesn’t look far I can assure you it is a chore and a half to pack an elk out that far and something that could possibly ruin your son , but hey YouTube hunting celebs have your answers! Good luck
The elk will probably be in the timber 👍🏻

KHNC

WKR
Probably hunting CO OTC. Doubtful its Idaho, because they are sold out and he probably hasnt bought a tag yet. Probably be lucky if he even hears a bugle in the daylight.

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
This thread is hilarious. Packing a bull 6+ miles from a trailhead with 2 people and is not even remotely concerned. God I'd hate to be a part of that group. 3.5 miles with 2 of us was plenty for me last year.

jmh00043

FNG
I'm derailing my own thread now. Elk-fluenza, I like that! You are correct, I already have pre-elkfluenza. I googled where is the hardest least accessible place to hunt elk. I was staying up till 2am cyber scouting and placing waypoint pins all over my area on google earth for a couple weeks. I have an addictive personality, in that I dive in hard. I go to bed watching youtube elk videos. I've been a hunting addict all my life. My only regret is waiting until i was 52 to hunt elk. I don't like hunting the easy way. I've been antelope hunting a few times in S.E. Colorado just above new mexico. The guys I go with get their antelope on opening day rolling out of a truck and making a long shot. That's not my idea of hunting, thats shooting. I enjoyed crawling to see how close I could get to them and making my hunt last days. Getting so close to them that when I went to shoot, the buck was blurry because my scope was on 9x. I don't want my elk hunt to be over the day or the day after I get there. I want to savor it, and make it last. I am planning on hunting Colorado and Montana next year. I'm 52, I have to make up for lost time hunting elk. I hunt everything in the south, deer, hogs, bear, ducks, turkey. Time to head west while I can still carry sh*t on my back.
From a guy in Alabama that’s not as old and am looking to do the same thing, let me know how it works! Baby coming this fall but will be out the next fall.