Archery Elk question from new elk hunter

4dcfries

FNG
I am 52 and a seasoned hunter from the s.e., but i am new to elk hunting. I have been wanting to go elk hunting for decades, but life and other things always got in the way. I decided to make it happen since i'm not getting any younger. I have a strategy question that keeps coming into my head. I have done hours and hours of e-scouting for the wilderness area that i'm going to hunt. I have lots of gps spots marked from a couple miles from the trailhead to many miles deeper into the wilderness area. The terrain is rough and steep in this wilderness area. I am going out in late July to scout for 5 days and check the gps spots to put boots on the ground and see what they look like for real, and to look for other glassing spots, wallows, good areas.

I plan on bow hunting Sept 19 - 25. My question is, should I hunt my way out to my farther waypoints 6+ miles back or spend valuable time hunting the closer spots that have been hit already by ppl and work my way out to my further spots more slowly?
I am thinking of just bypassing my closer 2-4 mile spots and go straight to the furthest ones in hopes that the elk will be pushed out that way, or at least not messed with as much. But I don't really want to pass prospective elk along the way unnecessarily.

PS edit: in response to comments of going deep and camping back there and being able to haul out an elk. 16 year old son will be with me so packing/hauling is shared. Not wanting to have input derailed into whether a first time elk hunter should be going deep or not. Really just looking for input focused specifically as to whether to hunt my way deep over a couple days, or just head straight back deep where I think elk might get pushed to, or at least less messed with.

Thanks for any input.
I can see by the many responses that they are pushing you on the miles back and the difficulty of bringing out game, let alone the original question you posed. I have lengthy experience of bow hunting elk in Montana and Colorado. Your question is smart. My last time in camp there were four hunters (me included). Three moved quickly to spots they intended to hunt each day...I took my time. I tagged out on day three, they never did. I saw elk every day ( Bulls, cows and had a calf walk by me at 5 yards) they only saw one at a distance. Most new elk hunters make noise mistakes all day long. Lastly I would reach out to some outfitters who can come out with horses and pick up your kill. Not that pricey and saves your back. Doesn't mean you can't carry out your mount or some backstraps but sure does help with 5 to 6 miles of steep crap. Of course I am 65 and don't know much but hey...enjoy!

Oops, open mouth (keyboard) and insert foot. God gave us all one mouth and TWO ears for a reason. Good luck on your hunt OP. Sincerely hope you harvest a great bull and have a wonderful trip with your son. I highly suggest you harvest the first legal bull whenever you have the opportunity to do so. Most Archers have less than a 10% success ratio ( Elknut is not that guy). That is one bull every 10 years. With you being at the young age of 52, I suggest you start flinging arrows at every opportunity you get. Just because you harvest and elk does not mean your have to go home. Stay and interact with the elk and learn to call and try to get our son a bull as well. You can certainly walk past every shooter bull and get yourself back 6 1/2 miles before you start hunting. This is America, Trump is still in Office and you still have your freedom to do what you want, (for now). You seem to be an knowledgeable SE Hunter from the great State of Georgia and live at an altitude of around 2000 feet or less. Colorado may have some surprises in store for you. There is Kryptonite in them there mountains. Most members here are good people and are offering you good advice. With 14 post and being new to the forum you might slow down a little and listen. I am 60, started elk hunting late in life (at 49), and I have killed 4 elk in the 7 years I have been blessed to be elk hunting. Just take it down a notch, go hunt and have fun. P.S. Get a good set of treking poles.

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I had plans of going 3-5 miles in and we ended up killing only 3/4 miles from the truck.
Dont pass up elk just because you feel deeper is better.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You guys are wasting your time giving the OP advice. He took his ball and went home a long time ago.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You guys are wasting your time giving the OP advice. He took his ball and went home a long time ago.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yeh, but its a good lesson for others who are learning from his response as well as the other helpful tips that have come.

Grabwad

Lil-Rokslider
Shit, this will be my 5th year and haven’t killed yet. First year opening day I missed a 40yd shot on a cow with my recurve and haven’t gotten another shot opportunity since. I’ll shoot the first legal elk as close as I can!! No shame here! I just want to bring one home to Louisiana! 🤣

Going deep doesn't mean much. I see elk hit on the highway a couple of times a month. Altitude will take it out of you quick if your from the Southeast

Berger024

WKR
Great info in here with the responses here, fellas. I appreciate all the info and seasoned tactics. I love smashing the learning curve from guys that have been at it for a while. Heavy packs on the way out!!! Cheers.