Archery Field Kit / Repair Parts?

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Been hearing different things from different folks and thought I would see what you all do. When going to the field what spare parts / tools do you carry?

One guy only takes an allen tool, another takes a portable press, spare sight, spare rest, and extra string set. Others just take a spare bow. ???

I could see having parts / backups at least somewhat close in case something happened, just curious what others do. Please note what you are doing and how that aligns with your kit. (i.e. big difference between a backyard tree stand and an Alaska drop off float hunt)

Thanks!

Lawnboi

WKR
I take a backup bow.

In the field I only take a lighter, and some Allen keys. Anything beyond that stays in the truck only because if I mess something up that bad I'm grabbing my other bow or I'm atleast going to go shoot a Target to make sure I'm going to hit.

I don't hunt Alaska though. And I'm not too tech savy with my bows yet, I'm still learning.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I take a backup bow.

In the field I only take a lighter, and some Allen keys. Anything beyond that stays in the truck only because if I mess something up that bad I'm grabbing my other bow or I'm atleast going to go shoot a Target to make sure I'm going to hit.

I don't hunt Alaska though. And I'm not too tech savy with my bows yet, I'm still learning.

How would things change for you if you were doing a fly in remote trip? Say ten days in duration and you were living out of a backpack?
What do you use the lighter for?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
Serving material and dloop material would also be a good addition that I am going to take from now on.

A lighter will harden up any fraying serving. I almost had a hunt ruined because my serving was rubbed to the point i was going to break. A spoon and a lighter and it held in there until i was able to get it re served.

Going that far in, i would take an extra bow and leave it at base camp if possible. Unless you are very good at teching your own bow then take whatever you think you would need. Otherwise if you will be moving the whole time that may not be an option and you might just have to take a few essentials based on what you can fix on your own bow.

My kit is so small mainly because I am not too tech savy (yet) with my bow.

My extra bow always ends up sitting in the truck, and iv never been on a fly in trip.... so take my advice with a grain of salt

JNDEER

WKR
Are you talking a car camp home hunt, backpack hunt, fly in hunt??

I have taken different things depending on where I am going.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you talking a car camp home hunt, backpack hunt, fly in hunt??

I have taken different things depending on where I am going.
I'd like to know what you take for each scenario. I have different lists (like probably most of us) that I tailor to each hunt and always looking to learn from others.

Thanks!

JNDEER

WKR
I'd like to know what you take for each scenario. I have different lists (like probably most of us) that I tailor to each hunt and always looking to learn from others.

Thanks!

backpack hunt = serving, D-loop, 2 nocks, super glue, bow rench set, 3 extra BH. If the backpack hunt is not to extreme I leave a spare release in the car. If it is a special hunt (like 10 days in a good area) I would bring my spare bow and leave it in the car.
fly out of state = Everything I can fit into the bow case.
Car camp hunt = I bring my whole kit with everything needed to work on the bow. Extra arrows, broadheads, etc.

swat8888

WKR
I did a 10 day fly in last year and this is what I took:

Carried the entire time:
Allen set
Small piece of serving string
D-Loop materiel
Wax
Extra fork for my drop rest (Code red)
Judo points
Would have carried extra pins but I couldn't find any in time for my sight
I always have super glue and duct tape as well

Left at the strip:
Portable bow press
Spare release

If anything did happen to my bow while I was way back in the bush I was carrying some extra rounds for my buddies rifle, I would have grabbed that instead of walking all the way back to the strip to fix my bow. I think the biggest danger of your bow getting jacked up is the bush flight...just make sure those dudes put your bow in a safe place. Next time I will be bringing it in a soft case that I can leave at the strip...luckily I had no issues.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did a 10 day fly in last year and this is what I took:

Carried the entire time:
Allen set
Small piece of serving string
D-Loop materiel
Wax
Extra fork for my drop rest (Code red)
Judo points
Would have carried extra pins but I couldn't find any in time for my sight
I always have super glue and duct tape as well

Left at the strip:
Portable bow press
Spare release

If anything did happen to my bow while I was way back in the bush I was carrying some extra rounds for my buddies rifle, I would have grabbed that instead of walking all the way back to the strip to fix my bow. I think the biggest danger of your bow getting jacked up is the bush flight...just make sure those dudes put your bow in a safe place. Next time I will be bringing it in a soft case that I can leave at the strip...luckily I had no issues.
Thanks, good info!

swat8888

WKR
I would have also left a spare string at the strip if I had one at the time...which I didn't.

Maxhunter

WKR
My kit usually consist of the following;

1. Allen wrenches only for rest & sights
2. D-loop material
3. Dental Floss and serving material
4. Small tube of bow wax
5. Plastic nock wrench from Easton.

I've been on quite a few 10 day plus remote fly-in trips haven't had to use it yet, but if I had too, I could pretty well fix about anything on my bow.

I think the over all package of what you bring depends on the style of hunting (backpack or camp) you do, and your level of comfort of wrenching on your bow.

In pig camp:
Extra bow
Press
String cables
Allen wrenches
Bow wax
Nocks
The list can go on and on

Back packing:
-With me-
Allen wrenches
Extra nocks
Extra fiber optic matterial
Small game head, 2 field point, extra new broadhead.
Old cam axel with electrical tap at the ends. Us this to lock the bottom cam at mid draw to switch out string and cable. Field emergency only.
D loop material
Service matterial.
String/cable
Lighter

-At truck-
Extra bow
Bow press
Target
Practice arrows
Hamske tool for 3rd axis. I've leveled a lot of other guys bows at the truck.
Tools
Serving tool and thread
Ect
Ect

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Old cam axel with electrical tap at the ends. Us this to lock the bottom cam at mid draw to switch out string and cable. Field emergency only.
D loop material

Please explain this. I've only been shooting for the last year or two and this is new info to me. Thanks.

Take an old axel from a bow, Pro Shop will have extra's laying around. Wrap Electrical at the ends of the axel. This area will come into contact with your limbs. The tape is to prevent marring. Now wrap the electrical tap around the middle section of the axel. This area will contact the cam.

Now draw your bow half way or a quarter of the way. Have a buddy slip the taped axel into where your cam is so that when you let down the cam can't rotate back because the axle is holding it from rotating back. If you have no one there to help. Put your foot on the handle, draw back with one hand, and use other to put the axle in the cut outs of the cam. I usually use the bottom cam.

Now I am sure this will void all warranties, or someone out there will say it will mess up the deflection of the limbs, but if you don't want to carry a Bowmaster style press, and you are 6 miles back in, this works great in a pinch.

If this is still clear as mud will try and post some pictures.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I sort of follow you, but pictures always help! : ) What about the portable / field presses?

Here ya go. This was the foot and pull string method. Small portable presses like the Bowmaster work great. But take up a little bit of room and extra weight.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 32