Archery help

JP7

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all, you guys have been awesome about answering archery related questions for me in the past so I’m back with a new conundrum.

My bow was shooting lights out provided I didn’t screw it up. I was building confidence as spring and summer have progressed. However the last 3 days of shooting I have been hitting left. The left has come out of nowhere.

For background info, about a month ago I was shooting out to 70 with pretty good results, and I threw on 5 or 6 different fixed blade broadheads and they were shooting with field points.

Earlier this year, in a pick up basketball game I took a hard screen to the left shoulder (RH shooter). My left shoulder as hurt and given me fits while shooting, push-ups and lifting all spring and summer. Last weekend on wet roads my truck slid into a rut with a pretty hard impact and I braced on the steering wheel pretty hard. My left shoulder hurt for a solid two days, but has since stopped hurting when shooting and when lifting.

So I’m just trying wondering if anyone has any suggestions on things to try or things to look at to correct the left hitting arrows. Another odd factor, is after multiple groups of left I moved my sight left to compensate, and that just pushed the arrows out further left.

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rclouse79

WKR
Have you checked that your bow is still tuned? I got a new bow this year that was putting bare shafts with fletched. While at the 3D range I noticed my arrows were flying wonky. After shooting through paper I found I was out of tune. Bumped my rest up and now I am back to putting bare shafts with fletched at 30.
Hopefully it is something you can fix with your bow and isn’t your shoulder. Good luck.

Zac

WKR
Yeah cables, and strings probably stretched, especially in this hot weather. How old is your set, and how long ago did you tune?

OP
JP7

JP7

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t checked the tune yet aside from shooting broadheads, but it is on my list of things to do. On a whim I took a level and found a level wall in my house and then held the bow to it. Looks like my 2nd axis was a bit off so that’s been adjusted.

if you have any vids of you shooting before try to take new ones and compare. the fact that your muscles experienced trauma it would be no Suprise if you're form is off or torquing the bow now. you may be doing something to prevent the pain or in fear of it but on a subconscious level, not uncommon so maybe something to look at.

OP
JP7

JP7

Lil-Rokslider
I think my strings and cables are two years old, I last checked the tune last summer I think. I can check that.

I worked with my pro shop guy yesterday and moved the sight pretty far to the left, and that brought stuff back in line yesterday.

Today however, everything is back to the left again. So I’m….frustrated. I think cable stretch could have some merit, the muscle trauma, and maybe I’m having a bit of a head case issue going on.

something simple to keep in mind, where you hit on a target is irrelevant the only thing that matters is that you group well. if moving the sight brought everything back then that is probably from you holding that bow differently. I know it's hard, but whether it's the bow or you I'd say take a break for a bit and stop working that muscle. if you try to heal a muscle by working it it may not repair itself correctly.

Reactions: JP7
Sounds dumb I know, but make sure your rest is tight. Small movements there will throw a wrench in everything.

OP
JP7

JP7

Lil-Rokslider
So….I took a day off of shooting. Took some of the stress off. Talked to some other archery guys in town who thought maybe I was moving my hand from my anchor point.

Also found one of my third axis bolts on the sight was loose. Don’t know if that had anything to do with it but tightened it down.

Went out and shot, with the focus of trying to keep my hand on my anchor through the shot. Stuff started looking better. Also noticed that sometimes my finger was in a different spot on my trigger which I think is due to the anchor issue. Shots with a focus on anchor point and using how the trigger sits on the index finger seemed to be a lot better. Got to the center of the target out to 40.

Still haven’t shot the bow through paper but I am trying to organize it (small town, no pro shop). Arrow flight looked weird as I was trying to follow through and not peek. Did have a few arrows stick in the target at some funny angles. However, I put a field point, a Ramcat Diamondback, and an IronWill together at 20. Had less than ideal conditions for shooting and tuning especially trying to trouble shoot an issue so I’ll try again tomorrow.

Any thoughts on shooting the bow through paper even though my broadheads seem to be grouping with my field points?

Are you shooting a single or multiple pin sight?

I miss left this time of year each year and its because my old friend, Target Panic, comes back to say hello. On a multiple pin sight, the target ends up covered by the bar and I think my pin is covering it. I then punch my trigger and get a left miss.

One way to test is to sight your bow against a vertical line or shoot a yardage where you gap your pins (say 45).

OP
JP7

JP7

Lil-Rokslider
Single pin sight. Did have the same left/right miss when I was shooting a fixed pin sight.

I think a bit of TP may have been coming into play also. That crunch time right before the hunt and you want everything to be dialed always seems to get me.

I also worked on slowing down my shot process and trying to control the shot, Joel Turner stuff.

Hey all, you guys have been awesome about answering archery related questions for me in the past so I’m back with a new conundrum.

My bow was shooting lights out provided I didn’t screw it up. I was building confidence as spring and summer have progressed. However the last 3 days of shooting I have been hitting left. The left has come out of nowhere.

For background info, about a month ago I was shooting out to 70 with pretty good results, and I threw on 5 or 6 different fixed blade broadheads and they were shooting with field points.

Earlier this year, in a pick up basketball game I took a hard screen to the left shoulder (RH shooter). My left shoulder as hurt and given me fits while shooting, push-ups and lifting all spring and summer. Last weekend on wet roads my truck slid into a rut with a pretty hard impact and I braced on the steering wheel pretty hard. My left shoulder hurt for a solid two days, but has since stopped hurting when shooting and when lifting.

So I’m just trying wondering if anyone has any suggestions on things to try or things to look at to correct the left hitting arrows. Another odd factor, is after multiple groups of left I moved my sight left to compensate, and that just pushed the arrows out further left.

TIA

Form, it's all about good form.

D S 319

WKR
Perfect practice makes perfect. Keep drilling the basics and you’ll get it back.

Pretty easy to make a paper target holder to place in front of your normal foam target. I would definitely do that as it gives me piece of mind knowing my arrow is leaving my bow correctly.

Another tip that helped me a lot is especially with the panic, is to focus on the target and not the pins. When I come to full draw I check my bubble then I focus purely on where I want my arrow to exit the target. I would argue this little tip helped me more than any other.

Best of luck and have fun out there this year!

OP
JP7

JP7

Lil-Rokslider
Bit of an update, I’ve had some good days and some bad days shooting. Broadheads still seem to hit with field points unless I pull the shot. So not sure if I need to check the tune or not because I have still been hitting left more often than not.

I did find that my limb driver rest had a part hitting the quiver. Not sure if that contributed after I changed the quiver mounting position enough to clear it. Thinking I got a bit of the yips and not sure how to work through that.

I have noticed that I seem to be very rushed in shooting.

I guess it sounds mostly like target panic, but you really havent' done anything to eliminate the potential mechanical problems - like fletching contact, which can really jack up arrow impact. or cam timing. or rest timing, particularly if you're using a qad. You've also done nothing to really evaluate your own execution.

So, maybe try doing something diagnostic besides just shooting? put the bow on a drawboard, or check for fletching contact using either athleet foots spray or lipstick, blank-bale without your sight and analyze impact angles, or video yourself taking some shots? once you know the problem it can probably be fixed.

OP
JP7

JP7

Lil-Rokslider
So shot through paper and got perfect bullet holes. So I believe it’s a shot execution issue, or TP.