Archery hunt in full camo? Or solid color ok?

Trial153

WKR
I never would have killed this without my camo hat and bino harness. It blended in perfect to the flaura and fauna. I became one with the land scape and experienced the science behind camouflage.
3757577cb3983c039b66221b9f454300.jpg

Last edited:

ElkNut1

WKR
Camo makes little difference during our elk hunts, but I do like it!

30 yard shot on this bull!

ElkNut/Paul

Attachments

• Paul II bull.jpg
    Paul II bull.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 214

JWP58

WKR
Just curious what your thoughts are on archery elk hunting with solid color pants such as prana?

I see Corey Jacobson and others on youtube with full camo and my first thought about their visuals is that they show off their white faces in front of the elk.

I don’t like camo pants but I plan to conceal my white face.

People like Corey Jacobson probably get their Sitka suit fo' free, or at a very nice discount. And that's not knocking them. If Sitka, Kuiu, Arcteryx, Kryptek, or OR wanted to sponsor me....I'm in.

Fact is old timers kill animals without it (see Fred Bear in old azz videos on youtube).

And if you're face painting, just stay away from the Chris Bracket #bjeyes face paint. Not a good look.

I feel like camo is more useful to the bowhunters who have to get up close to the game. One time I was at the edge of a long meadow up in the white river forest bowhunting. Some elk were walking right up the middle of it browsing as they went out of bow range. I tried to follow them from along the edge but even though they were in no hurry I couldn't keep up with them long as they headed up a gradual slope. I was thinking if I just had a outfit that looked like a pine tree I could stand out there in the middle in bow range and maybe get a shot. So I always though if one could design a suit that looked like a small pine it would be the ultimate camo. Only problem I could see is if I'm the only tree in the meadow and a bull decides he wants to shred a small pine I could be in real trouble. :(

The right camo really works. Military snipers often wear Gillie suits. They intertwine natural flora picked from the area they are sniping into their suits to blend in even more. They are very hard to spot. Non movement helps a lot as well. Anything that breaks up the human outline helps. Whitetail deer can be tough but I have many times sat still in the woods in my camo and been within 30 yards of them. Much closer though they start to see me though they may not know what I am they know something doesn't look right. Some will quickly move off, some will start to stomp, some will look me up and down and timidly, snort or blow at me at a good distance and some will curiously come close enough to satisfy their curiosity then quickly move off . A close encounter can be pretty exciting. I feel like Camo helps but non-movement is still essential.

I feel like camo is more useful to the bowhunters who have to get up close to the game. One time I was at the edge of a long meadow up in the white river forest bowhunting. Some elk were walking right up the middle of it browsing as they went out of bow range. I tried to follow them from along the edge but even though they were in no hurry I couldn't keep up with them long as they headed up a gradual slope. I was thinking if I just had a outfit that looked like a pine tree I could stand out there in the middle in bow range and maybe get a shot. So I always though if one could design a suit that looked like a small pine it would be the ultimate camo. Only problem I could see is if I'm the only tree in the meadow and a bull decides he wants to shred a small pine I could be in real trouble. :(
IN BEFORE someone says sitting silent and still and downwind is more important. And they'd be right...

There's all sorts of camo that tries to look like a floral print of Hardwoods or shrubbery and most of them sort of suck, or at least provide no real advantage.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Ratbeetle

WKR
Wear what you want. I happen to like camo. I'm not wearing my hunting clothes to work and I'd prefer multiple seasons of specific use in the field as opposed tearing my gear up getting groceries every week.

That said, I killed a pronghorn in Dockers last year.

mwebs

WKR
Wearing solids to hunt is the new cool kid thing to do! So hipster! For me if your archery hunting and camo can give you one more second of the animal not knowing what you are it's worth it. Could be the difference of kill or not, why do we spend so much money on the rest of our shit and think a wrangler shirt is just as good for killing as FL, Kuiu, Sitka etc.? I guess because camo is played out, everyone saying it doesn't matter and posting pics of kills in solids is just another fanboy of a different type, keep beating your chest.

Rifle hunting who cares, wear flashing lights for all I care for how far some people are shooting.

The quality of the clothing and its ability to hold up to harsh hunting conditions is more important than any camo pattern. Wear something that works for you and the conditions you hunt in whether it is a camo pattern or solid and pay attention to the wind.

nowen22

FNG
Wearing solids to hunt is the new cool kid thing to do! So hipster! For me if your archery hunting and camo can give you one more second of the animal not knowing what you are it's worth it. Could be the difference of kill or not, why do we spend so much money on the rest of our shit and think a wrangler shirt is just as good for killing as FL, Kuiu, Sitka etc.? I guess because camo is played out, everyone saying it doesn't matter and posting pics of kills in solids is just another fanboy of a different type, keep beating your chest.

Rifle hunting who cares, wear flashing lights for all I care for how far some people are shooting.
Haha ok

Many years ago when I was younger (late 70’s) I was obsessed with reading books by Fred Bear and Chuck Adams. I heard that Chuck was going to be speaking at an event nearby, so I knew I had to go. During a question and answer session someone asked this very question about camouflage (since Chuck always hunted in solid pants and a flannel back then). He responded by saying that a white cat will kill just as many birds as a brown cat and that movement and scent are what gives you away. I still abide by this philosophy although I usually wear camo while hunting.

Will_m

WKR
Why does the military use camo if it doesn't work?
I would be extremely hesitant to copy the military for anything. Literally anything.

Like people going crazy for mil-spec stuff. That generally just means it is a POS.

MAVinWA

Lil-Rokslider
Based in WA, OTC archery public land in AZ, UT, so
I believe a face covering helps. Whether cloth material or face paint, reduce the sun glare and reflection off your face. A dark beard may help too, but mine would be too white now at my age.

in the field, my observations of other hunters around me: sun on their face, they shine and not just white faces.
1-Saw 2 Hispanic hunters last year in AZ. Their faces looked shiny orange as they stalked along an alfalfa field into the setting sun. They sat down against the brushy field edge about 300 yards away, facing into the slight breeze. Hour later the muleys came out into the field. Those 14 does immediately stared their way, even though the hunters hadn't moved. Then nervously the does moved off, away from the hunters position.
2-One morning in UT, across a meadow 400 yards a brightness stuck out against the background. Putting up my binocs, it was a white face of another archery hunter. His camo blended great but that sun's reflection off his face alerted my eyes. His face was like a light bulb in the morning sun.

Big, dark Timber not so much, unless you are in a clearing and bright sun shines down upon you.

Last edited: