Archery Hunter Killed by ML Hunter

sndmn11

WKR
True, but nobody is really worried about archers accidentally shooting other archers or muzzleloader hunters. So I guess my question is how do gun hunters wearing orange make archery hunters safer? Pending details, the above incident may be an example of why this isn't great logic.

Aside from archery season possibly being shortened, wouldn't all parties involved be happier if the seasons did not overlap?

I am not really taking the position that it does, other than the fact that I can identify the likely effective range of that orange/pink hunter. I do love ke that for the simple fact I can see a hunter at 150 yards not in color and know we are likely out of play for each other. Whereas if I saw someone at 150yds in color, they would have a good bit of my attention. I have argued in the past that it may create a more dangerous situation because a rifle/muzzloader hunter puts on their color, and that establishes the mindset to not shoot the color. So, if their sight picture doesn't contain the colors, nothing in their mind sounds an alarm to not shoot. I think this applies to people who are borderline uncomfortable with handling firearms.

My opinion is that everyone in color or nobody in color, this is a people doing dumb stuff problem and not a regulation problem.

I couldn't care less about sharing with others. I have a rifle bear tag in one unit and I have an OTC archery tag as well that is not valid where my bear tag is. Almost bought a leftover muzzloader tag for my wife last week.

In my above example, if the woman muzzleloader hunter would have setup with her weapon at the ready, I would have called out. I surely can be responsible for taking steps to help ensure my own safety.

The only factors preventing archery accidents are the limited range and the physical act of knocking the arrow and drawing a bow.

I do think that the reporting on these incidents leaves out a significant amount of detail that would provide context. The incident last year, I never remember reading any details.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
not surprised, this was bound to happen.

2 years ago, muzzie hunter aimed at me in unit 62. Guess my bugle, grunting in the timber was too convincing.
heard a stick snap behind me, turned around and there was the muzzie hunter 50 yards away, his ML pointed at me.

now I hunt before or after muzzie season in CO.

in some states, like WA, overlapping seasons require usual hunter orange requirement for all in the woods.

Last edited:

UpNorth89

Lil-Rokslider
Very sad deal for every party involved

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BIRDMAN11

FNG
This is so upsetting. I was camped at that trailhead last week and met some great people. Scared to find out who the victim is… only knew of 2 Muzzy hunters and they were camped next to us. Do not understand how some one can screw up this bad.

BTLowry

FNG
No excuse for not identifying target.

Shooter should be charged with manslaughter

Sad thing is that CO requires hunter education so the shooter had to have taken it

Will be interesting to see what investigation reveals

BTW, not all of us from down south "shoot at bushes rustling" and are just as scared of those types as anyone else

Erict

WKR
How are y'all drawing conclusions based on almost zero facts? I just looked online and can find no additional information so far.

sndmn11

WKR
How are y'all drawing conclusions based on almost zero facts? I just looked online and can find no additional information so far.

The conclusion I have drawn is based on the attached press release stating a muzzleloader hunter killed an archery hunter while the parties were hunting. That language leads me to conclude it was an in the field incident that occured while both were actually hunting. I believe if this were something that happened in camp or in a vehicle, the release would not have differentiated between the two types of hunters and stated the pair of muzzloader hunters were wearing reflective clothing. I think it was a good press release.

I also conclude based on my own firearms experience that if I do not point the boom end at a person, no person can get shot.

rideold

WKR
So sorry to hear about this. It happens far too frequently. I never archery hunt during muzzleloader season because it seems to be that exact combination that happens the most. And yeah, I'm the archer that wears an orange hat when in the field. My woodcraft skills aren't good enough that the bit of orange is going to scare an elk away.

T.Rep

FNG
Its an absolute joke and complete bullshit that CO allows rifles of any kind in the woods during archery season. And as stated before its pretty damn dumb to make the rifle hunters wear orange but not the bowhunters???
The guy who pulled the trigger along with CO Parks and Wildlife should be held accountable.

CoStick

WKR
Its an absolute joke and complete bullshit that CO allows rifles of any kind in the woods during archery season. And as stated before its pretty damn dumb to make the rifle hunters wear orange but not the bowhunters???
The guy who pulled the trigger along with CO Parks and Wildlife should be held accountable.
You are allowed to wear orange while archery hunting. There are no rules against it.

T.Rep

FNG
You are allowed to wear orange while archery hunting. There are no rules against it.
Yessir you are correct and I do wear orange. My point is that you shouldnt have guys walking around with rifles during archery season. Its archery season for a reason. Bear season is any legal weapon at the same time as deer/elk archery season. Please make it make sense.

CoStick

WKR
Yessir you are correct and I do wear orange. My point is that you shouldnt have guys walking around with rifles during archery season. Its archery season for a reason. Bear season is any legal weapon at the same time as deer/elk archery season. Please make it make sense.
The woods are high use year round. Hikers, hunters, you name it. You need to know your target. People accidentally shoot moose each year. Regardless of hunting season there will be people out there not orange. You have to know your target and what is behind it.

T.Rep

FNG
I agree 100%. All I’m saying is that its pretty damn silly to have guys in head to toe camo while others are wearing orange and carrying rifles. I bowhunt a vast majority of the time to get away from rifle hunters but its just not possible here. Anyway, prayers up for the guy and his family.

Poser

WKR

With many squirrels seasons opening in sept , I’d venture more states than Not have rifle/shotgun hunters in the woods the same time as archery hunters. It’s super common.

I always bear hunt with a rifle in sept in CO, but I’ve yet to encounter a single other big game Hunter while doing so because I’m hunting different habitat. That being said, as you pointed out and was previously mentioned, there is 0 logic in me being the only person in the woods wearing Orange.

In terms of season segments in CO, I propose that there are far too many archery hunters in the woods at any given time and the season is too long. Give mzls their own week and break archery into 2 10-12 days seasons with separate tags.

Sad for sure. Walked into my own perfect storm years ago, lucky to be above ground.

Sad situation