Archery Hunter Killed by ML Hunter

is there anyway to figure out if the guy that passed was a member here? I found him online as having lived in Kingwood, several members here live in that same town.

What we are seeing are opinions from those who clearly have no clue about archery hunting in CO during ML season. Go to Colorado and learn something before you post. Until you have experienced it, you are FN clueless.

T.Rep

FNG
Archers don't own the woods for the entire month as it's not only "archery season". How arrogant of you, as muzzleloader hunters aren't out there with loaded weapons when it's not their designated season/days. If you don't like it, stay out of the woods during muzzleloader season (you still have the majority if the month) or wear orange and in the meantime, take it up with CPW.
Its not just muzzleloaders. They allow centerfire rifles during bear season for the entire archery season also? Complete shitshow. But then again we are talking about the agency that allowed the entire state to vote on the wolf issue🤦🏼‍♂️

sndmn11

WKR
Its not just muzzleloaders. They allow centerfire rifles during bear season for the entire archery season also? Complete shitshow. But then again we are talking about the agency that allowed the entire state to vote on the wolf issue🤦🏼‍♂️

What about rifle bear and ungulate muzzloader season coinciding with archery seasons is a shit show?

These incidents are the result of the perpetrator (s), those perpetrator (s) are not the victim of season dates. They are victims of their own conscious, deliberate, bad actions.

Phaseolus

WKR
That’s an interesting misconception, the ‘agency’ allowed the people of Colorado to vote on the wolf issue?

BIRDMAN11

FNG
is there anyway to figure out if the guy that passed was a member here? I found him online as having lived in Kingwood, several members here live in that same town.
Not sure if he is a member. We crossed paths on the mountain Monday and seemed like a great young man… I stopped by his camp on Wednesday to let him know we were leaving. He had a hunting partner with him and cant imagine what he is going through. They were suppose to be headed home back to Texas today.

Archers are not putting arrows into gun hunters...you don't understand! There should be complete separation!
Maybe maybe not. But there sure as hell do to other archery hunters. End of the day we accept risks when we hunt. Each of us make a conscious decision on whether or not we want to mitigate any of them.

Since you are a strong advocate for archery only, and no one else can hunt anything else in the woods with a firearm while you are there, get a petition going and see about changing the regulations. No squirrel/bear/rabbit/wolf/fur bearer/birds with a firearm to protect the archery hunters. Might as well also forbid trapping.

https://tdn.com/news/local/kelso-ma...cle_21c8d8be-bd21-11df-aee2-001cc4c03286.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.argusleader.com/amp/7284636002

schmalzy

WKR
There was a Hunter out here from PA a couple of years who built his own cart to fit on the narrow gauge railroad tracks. He was confronted by some RR employees when they rolled up on his jalopy and, according to the employees, he went off on a threatening rampage. Because he was armed, they backed down, left and went back to silverton and got the San Juan county sheriff, who then rode the entire length of the train tracks through the wilderness area and never found him. He also never got on the train itself in the following days. Considering there are only 2 trail exits he could have used: one is 3 miles and 3,000 feet of switchbacks and the other is 5 miles and a couple of thousand feet as well, seems unlikely that he could have escaped with his equipment, but they never found anything.

That’s pretty wild. Never know what/who to be found out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So tragic on so many levels. Archery hunter was about my age, found him online and looks like he was just married in the last few years

We know nothing about the ML hunter or the situation other than what is posted above. The archery hunter I’m assuming has someone with him as a witness.

As dumb and horrible as what transpired … ML hunters life has definitely changed forever. We don’t know but decent chance he has a good, job, family, kids, etc back in PA and they are all going to suffer as well as him.

Sad sad situation for every party involved , including those in both hunting parties

Last edited:
The clear conflict is not guns vs archers but guys hunting the same animal with firearms at the same time when archers generally are using calls and decoys. Doesn't take a lot of common sense to see obvious risks here. Archers should have their elk season, then ML and rifle. I won't carry a deek in CO during ML season, hike out very early and hunt well off the beaten trail to void those smokepole guys.

sndmn11

WKR
The clear conflict is not guns vs archers but guys hunting the same animal with firearms at the same time when archers generally are using calls and decoys. Doesn't take a lot of common sense to see obvious risks here. Archers should have their elk season, then ML and rifle. I won't carry a deek in CO during ML season, hike out very early and hunt well off the beaten trail to void those smokepole guys.
How do calls or decoys excuse identifying the target?

woods89

WKR
Some ML tags are ES. Identifying antler points isn’t needed.

Confirming what you’re shooting at still does tho
Copy that. Sounds like from posts below the 5'' rule still stands, though? The unit I hunt has the 4 points or 5'' rule and I thought that extended across CO.

I had crosshairs on a bulls shoulder at 240 yds for over a minute 2 years ago waiting for him to move his head from behind a tree so I could verify legality. He never did so he lived. I guess my point is that you need to know not only that you are shooting at an elk but what sort of elk it is as a general rule, so in these situations one can usually assume the shooter was already not following CO game laws. I realize sometimes there are really odd situations, though, so I hate to speak in absolutes.

Despite the wondering just what happened, at the end of the day it's an awful thing and quite a few lives will never be the same. Once those bullets leave the barrel......

Some of you make it sound like this happens routinely. It's an unfortunate tragedy. But these things rarely occur. I don't know how many total hunters and other recreationalists will be in the woods this September but I can pretty well guarantee it's well over 10,000. This is one single incident. I can think of one other a few years ago. That's makes two (that I know of) in eight years.

The fact that a negligent hunter killed another doesn't mean the whole season structure needs to be re-worked.

I'm mostly a bow hunter but I have a rifle bear tag. I'll be out later this week looking for that bear and I'll go back to bowhunting after that. I'm fortunate to spend about half the archery season hunting, and I've never once had any sort of incident with a muzzleloader. There is simply not that conflict that some claim.

Last year there was a guy who was killed by his friend during rifle season. It was the same type of negligence that killed him and there was no season structure to argue over.

Copy that. Sounds like from posts below the 5'' rule still stands, though? The unit I hunt has the 4 points or 5'' rule and I thought that extended across CO.
The rule is that a bull must have four points or a brow tine of at least five inches, not both.

For units that do not have that requirement, spikes, etcetera are also legal.

Savage99

WKR
Some of you make it sound like this happens routinely. It's an unfortunate tragedy. But these things rarely occur. I don't know how many total hunters and other recreationalists will be in the woods this September but I can pretty well guarantee it's well over 10,000. This is one single incident. I can think of one other a few years ago. That's makes two (that I know of) in eight years.

The fact that a negligent hunter killed another doesn't mean the whole season structure needs to be re-worked.

I'm mostly a bow hunter but I have a rifle bear tag. I'll be out later this week looking for that bear and I'll go back to bowhunting after that. I'm fortunate to spend about half the archery season hunting, and I've never once had any sort of incident with a muzzleloader. There is simply not that conflict that some claim.

Last year there was a guy who was killed by his friend during rifle season. It was the same type of negligence that killed him and there was no season structure to argue over.

Prayers for the family.

I remember reading about the boy shot by a ML Hunter some years ago also.

I don’t know of one of these that someone could say was an accident. It’s just negligence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ill never understand these type of mistakes. here in idaho, orange is not a requirement. and where i live in the panhandle it is thiiiiiiiick, albeit way less hunters here and recreaters but still, i dont hear of these things happening here, and no one wears orange for any season. i wrap a vest around my backpack but thats the extent of it.

sndmn11

WKR
I had crosshairs on a bulls shoulder at 240 yds for over a minute 2 years ago waiting for him to move his head from behind a tree so I could verify legality. He never did so he lived. I guess my point is that you need to know not only that you are shooting at an elk but what sort of elk it is

Why put your crosshairs on something that you are unsure of? Isn't that exactly what your post is saying not to do?

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
I don't get it... I try to spot with high mag optic, stalk and confirm with binos, take reference points for easy retrieval and finding in optic/sights then confirm again cause I'm always worried even after I count the points or lack of that it's the opposite gender then my tag.

Guess there are hunters more worried about killing something then harvest a legal game animal....

RIP, as someone who is currently learning the ropes in archery I hope I'm never am article. I guess I will also not hunt during a mixed season

How do calls or decoys excuse identifying the target?
There is no excuse but clearly people today are dumber than ever and if we will print this on a label...we can justify separating archers and muzzleloaders during elk season or at least place em in different units. And when someone does murder a bow hunter...they stay locked up. We choose to hunt with a bow for the challenge and partially so we are less likely to get shot.

0223_warning-label-chainsaw_485x340.jpg

A guy seeing this from 240 yards might send a sabot your way. It only takes one.

thumbs_IMG_20170819_114721-e1503356615398-768x1024.jpg

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
There is no excuse but clearly people today are dumber than ever and if we will print this on a label...

If someone mathed out the hunter shoots hunter in Colorado September hunting seasons base on personal recreation days, the percentage would come out to probably far less than .000001% chance.

The only thing that would have prevented this from occuring would have been for the person who pulled the trigger to have been the only person in the woods that day, or for them not be allowed in the woods. That person chose to shoot for whatever reason, and the victim's hunting weapon had nothing to do with that.