Archery Hunter Killed by ML Hunter

sndmn11

WKR
I think the scope/scoping talk was a tangent of the conversation, and not related to this incident other than pointing your gun at things you aren't supposed to.

KHNC

WKR
Idiots from the south scare the crap outta me in CO. Those guys shoot at moving bushes. Guarantee these pinheads will be that area. Should be charged with murder.
As in Southern United States? Generalizing greatly arent you? Have you hunted in NC, SC, GA or anywhere that you are referring to? I have seen many a fool from OH, PA, WI and MI shoot at anything during deer drives. Most of the southern states do not participate in deer driving during gun season.

KHNC

WKR
Shooter was arrested and charged with criminally negligent homicide.

DOLORES COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
State of Colorado
P.O. Box 505
Dove Creek, Colorado 81324
(970) 677-2257 Fax (970) 677-2880
Don Wilson
Sheriff

Date: 09-18-2021
To: Dolores County Residents and Visitors
Subject: Hunting incident

On 09-17-2021 at approximately 1048 hrs Law Enforcement personnel, emergency medical personnel, Rico, West Fork, Dove Creek Search and Rescue personnel, Dolores County Coroner, and Colorado Bureau of Investigation were dispatched to Forest Service Road 535 at the Kilpacker Trail Head for a report of a hunter being shot. The hunter who was fatally shot was identified as 31 year old W/M Gregory Gabrisch from Houston, Texas. The individual shooting Gregory was identified as Ronald J. Morosko from Elizabeth, Pennsylvania. Ronald was arrested for Criminally Negligent Homicide and taken to Montezuma County jail. This incident continues to be under investigation.
Thank you for the support from Dunton Hot Springs, Keith Keesling for supplying food and water for personnel involved with the recovery of Mr. Gabrisch. Dolores County Sheriff’s Office appreciates all the volunteers and those who have and continue to assist us with this incident. Please keep the families in your prayers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SO Where's Bruce, i hope you read this and get the location. NOT from the Southern US.

I think he's saying he already had it identified as a bull, he was only verifying antler points for legality. I don't see anything wrong with that

There’s not, people put the cross hairs on animals and decide not to shoot for a number of reasons. Not even close to the same scenario this thread is dealing with.
The guy originally said, I thought we were taught not to aim at anything you weren’t going to destroy or something like that. I’ve never heard that before in my life.

Reactions: NB7

KHNC

WKR
There’s not, people put the cross hairs on animals and decide not to shoot for a number of reasons. Not even close to the same scenario this thread is dealing with.
The guy originally said, I thought we were taught not to aim at anything you weren’t going to destroy or something like that. I’ve never heard that before in my life.
I read a post regarding alaska moose. It referred to using your hash marks on the reticle to identify width at certain ranges. Cant accomplish this without putting the reticle on the moose to begin with.

Rotnguns

FNG
So, Colorado requires orange for ML hunters, but archery hunters can have full camo and bow-mounted decoys?

Seems to be an indictment of the hunter orange requirement. Unless everyone in the woods is required to wear orange during hunting season, it doesn't make a lot of sense to require it for ML hunters.

Edit to add: I did not see this posted prior, but the ML hunter has been arrested and charged with negligent homicide:

sndmn11

WKR
You have never been made aware of firearms rules?

Rule One: All guns are always loaded.
Rule Two: Never let the muzzle cover anything which you are not willing to destroy.
Rule Three: Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
Rule Four: Always be sure of your target.

If one has not identified what a something actually is, or if that something is actually legal to destroy, how has that person satisfied rule two or rule four? If that person does not point their firearm at the un-identified something, there is zero chance that unidentified something gets shot. It is literally foolproof and not reliant on the brain power of the person to NOT shoot when they establish a sight picture by putting the crosshairs on the yet to be identified something. It eliminates "I didn't mean to pull the trigger", "I wasn't going to shoot, but it moved like it was going to run, so I just reacted", "I slipped", etc.

In the real life scenario of what happened in Dolores County, if rule two or rule four were followed, this would not be a story and none of us would know the two involved parties names.

Using KHNC’s scenario…

If the moose was confirmed to be a moose using something other than a scope, and the rifle was confirmed to be safe, then it’s 100% legitimate to use the scope to measure the rack width.

If a scope was used to confirm the moose was a moose, then that’s not ok.

You have never been made aware of firearms rules?

Rule One: All guns are always loaded.
Rule Two: Never let the muzzle cover anything which you are not willing to destroy.
Rule Three: Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
Rule Four: Always be sure of your target.

If one has not identified what a something actually is, or if that something is actually legal to destroy, how has that person satisfied rule two or rule four? If that person does not point their firearm at the un-identified something, there is zero chance that unidentified something gets shot. It is literally foolproof and not reliant on the brain power of the person to NOT shoot when they establish a sight picture by putting the crosshairs on the yet to be identified something. It eliminates "I didn't mean to pull the trigger", "I wasn't going to shoot, but it moved like it was going to run, so I just reacted", "I slipped", etc.

In the real life scenario of what happened in Dolores County, if rule two or rule four were followed, this would not be a story and none of us would know the two involved parties names.
No I’ve never seen the word destroy and hunting used in anything, sounds like it came off a video game not a hunters ed course.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Ive always thought bow mounted decoys were a little sketchy for this reason.
I walked around with a decoy this weekend. I held it at my side upside down. I also put an orange vest on my pack for increased visibility. Realistically a Colorado muzzle loader has a max range of 100 yards for 99.9% or people. At 100 yards you should be able to tell an Elk from a bow mounted decoy. 🤦🏻‍♂️

There should be no overlap weekend's with Muzzel Loader and Archery. With the new technology they might as well hunt with the Rifle Season.

Fatcamp

WKR

One of the three rules people quote is, "Don't let a gun point at anything you are not willing to destroy."

It is a part of Colorado's Hunter's Education course.

Bullets destroy things.
Also a part of most non-hunting general firearms instruction. Destroy, shoot, maim, kill, all would work there. Terrible to think of what that young man's family and friends are going through right now. Please be safe all.

CrossLaw

FNG
There should be no overlap weekend's with Muzzel Loader and Archery. With the new technology they might as well hunt with the Rifle Season.
Colorado has pretty strict muzzleloader restrictions
Yup. CO limits ML to open/iron sights, loose powder charges, and non-sabot bullets.

Archery range for me is about 65 yards under ideal conditions, muzzleloader extends my range to about 125 yards at the very most under ideal conditions. At those ranges, no one should have trouble identifying the target regardless of the weapon being carried. Sadly, this isn't a regulation issue, it's just a hunter ignoring the most fundamental of all hunter safety rules.

Jbehredt

WKR
Muzzleloader season would fit nicely in the days between archery and first rifle. Seems like the escalation of force makes the later dates appropriate as well. I’ll text the gov and have him make it so.