Archery hunting in central NC

This is my first year out archery hunting in central NC and I'm facing a steep learning curve. I can find what I think are deer trails, but I don't see any other sign on them. No droppings, rubs, or scrapes anywhere. I'm also trying to do spot and stalk, but all the dead leaves and twigs means it's incredibly hard to try and move quietly. Plus the leaves in combination with the clay doesn't leave much for tracks. I can't afford a stand or trail cameras at the moment. Is there a way to move more quietly? Where should I look for deer? I've watched videos from Wired To Hunt and others, but I'm curious to see what people on here recommend.

When I lived in NC I hunted the Uwharrie NF and some of the WMAs as well as some private land a friend owned. Most of the guys there use tree stands for a good reason as it is very hard to move quietly in those crunchy October leaves. If it is lightly raining the sound won't be as much of an issue but if the rain is too hard, the deer will bed up somewhere and you won't see them until you are right no them. Even with a tree stand you have to pick a good spot overlooking some rubs and/or trails. You can use a ground blind but you will still be playing the wind game more than you would with a tree stand. I have seen plenty of deer while sitting behind a fallen log tangle so you don't absolutely need a manufactured ground blind either.

I make no claims of being an expert whitetail hunter so this is just my 0.02. You first need to learn how to read deer sign. Most of the time you are not going to find nice distinct tracks like you see in the books because of the soil substrate. But a deer moving through leaves will still leave a trail of disturbed leaves and it is distinct from trails left by humans, black bears, and hogs. You also want to focus on suitable areas to hunt. There are deer all over NC but some places have a lot more than others. Deep woods like the Uwharrie and western mountains will have a lot lower density than a mixed area of fields and woods. I would pick a WMA that has or borders agricultural fields. If you walk the wood line it will be much easier to cut for deer sign and see where they are entering the field that it would be looking for sign inside the forest. if you find a trail with fresh sign (learning how to age sign will save you setting up on a trail no longer being used) then you can then pick a good place to set up.

In addition to the field/woods borders, I would also look for natural funnels like a strip of woods running between fields or a saddle between the tops of two hills. Both are good places to find an active deer trail. I would stay away from bedding areas as they will likely be tough to access without making a racket. Whitetails are not like elk, they will stick to the same close area unless they are pushed really hard so if you find fresh deer sign then they are still in the area. Temperature, wind, and rain all play a big role in how much they are moving around. The rut will also be a major factor.

Hope this helps a little and you can get out a find some fresh deer sign. Good luck!

Walk 5 steps, stop and look around for 30 seconds to one minute. Repeat over and over. Still hunting whitetails, especially with a bow, is tough business.

You need to find feeding areas (oak flats, edges of private land near agriculture) and be set up there at first and last light. Still hunt along deer trails throughout rest of day.

There are a boat load of deer in central NC, even on public land. Keep at it. You will stumble into them eventually.

Right now acorns are starting to drop find them and you will find deer. depending on where you are in the state there is a ton of planted pines. deer will bed there but not much for feed. find creeks that have oaks in between pines and cutovers and you should find some good trails travel areas. if you can find an active creek crossing id setup near that.

msalm

Lil-Rokslider
Watch the wind and learn to use available cover as a makeshift ground blind. Can be very effective. Find several heavily used trail intersections between food and cover, and setup downwind with cover at your back and a light screen of cover in front. I killed my first half dozen deer with archery from the ground before I even put up a tree stand. I don’t think of it as handicap in the least. Watch the deer as it comes in, and only move when it’s looking away. Also don’t track up the area the deer will be traveling, they WILL smell that you were there.