Archery hunting turkey questions

shanevg

WKR
Never hunted turkey before but I got drawn for a spring bear tag in NE Washington and have been told it is definitely worth carrying a turkey tag in my pocket. I'm planning on going after bears with my bow so I will have my bow in my hand. My question is - where do you aim for a turkey with a bow? Should I be shooting with a broad head or a judo point?

Thanks!!!

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I normally aim at the head, punch the trigger, drop my bow arm and the arrow should hit in the upper 3rd part of the body.

OBP

WKR
X2 what gulicemo said. Aiming point depends on which way they're facing, what the bird is doing, etc. Broadside shots I aim for somewhere between where the wingbone sits and top of their thighs, this is the most lethal shot in my experience, really anchors the bird. Full strut, head on aim for the beard, and going away base of the fan (this shot is devastating for turkeys but I 100% do not advocate it for mammals.) IMO turkeys are the hardest animals to kill with a bow I've come across, their vitals are very small and they just seem to take punishment more than other animals.

MattB

WKR
As I have heard it said, "aim high and watch them die, aim low and watch them go". Their vitals are right up against their spine which follows their backline. I like to aim right up the leg and 2-3" below the top of the back. For some reason, lots of guys shoot them through the breasts usign the low and forward shot placement they use on ungulates - there is nothing vital there. Alternately, if you can break a leg or wing or both legs, you will anchor them quickly.

Broadhead-wise a big cut mechanical is best for body shots. I have used the 2 3/4" Vortex 125's with fantastic success.

Head or follow the legs up and shoot for the hip... Turkey hunting with the bow is.....a blast!

OP
shanevg

shanevg

WKR
Thanks for all the help guys! Unfortunately, WA state does not allow expandable broad heads for whatever reason. My Montecs will have to do

Whatever you are throwing for your bear is what I would throw at a gobbler!!! Watch your shot angles!! Turkey vitals are small!! On broadside shots I go 1" behind the wing butt, if its facing away anywhere between the head and butt BREAK that spine!!! facing you aim right for the read waddles!!! and HAVE FUN!!

vcb

WKR
That's a great thread joe hunter, I have read it 4 times and still picking up tips

CtP

Lil-Rokslider
That's a great thread joe hunter, I have read it 4 times and still picking up tips

agreed. great thread.

this is my first year and I'm gonna use a hen and jake decoy with 2" grim reapers. I'm not good enough (yet) to shoot their heads off so a body shot is key.

I am very excited to get out there for these big birds!!

trkyslr

WKR
Dang joe beat me to posting that link to the thread. Some good info on there by several turkey slayers!

JG358

WKR
I use whatever head I'm using for what ever else I'm hunting.... I dont do well having to remember which arrow is for this and which arrow is for that.
Bow hunting turkeys is a blast, Aim high and watch em die. :)

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot them in the head/neck, wont take long to find them.

Attachments

• turkey4.jpg
    turkey4.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 39

2rocky

WKR
Be ready for a Coyote or Fox to respond to your calls. My first Turkey hunt I had one come in so fast, I wasn't ready!