Archery- In front of or behind cover?

brimow

Lil-Rokslider
The fun ones are when you think you are set up in front and that bull decides to take a whole different direction coming in than what you thought was the obvious place. I positioned myself in front of the last fir tree at a narrow point of a long (L to R) meadow. Had a bull coming in from in front of my position wind from him to me. Figured he would want to cross at the narrow spot and he ended up circling around and came in 90 degrees to the fir I was kneeling in "front" of. Had to freeze in my position as he walked about 50 yards up to about 3 yards to my left through an open meadow. Thought he was going to put his nose on my head. Never had a chance to move a muscle because I was in his line of sight the whole way as a lump on the side of the tree now with nothing but open space to my right.

In the black timber it gets pretty crazy and what you thought was in front of cover as you hear him coming in could turn into behind cover all of a sudden. I’ve seen it happen before😉

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm always moving so much that sometimes I'm in front of cover, sometimes beside it, and sometimes behind it. It's just a matter how far in front, beside, or behind when I run into the bull.......or he runs into me.

Always in front guys, you don't get immediately busted all the time?

It seems to me a that when we conceptualize it we think about it in absolute terms. Either you are in front of cover and have good shooting ability and get busted straight away, or you are behind cover and hidden from elk that you can't shoot because of obstructions. Seems to me most field situations are gonna be more complex than that.

I like the idea of reading each situation differently but lots of folks are hardcore advocates of ALWAYS as much in front as possible as above posts indicate. My question for them is do you get busted right away? Do you wear face mask/ ghillie suit?

Hunting blinds exist for a reason. Hiding behind cover works for concealment better than in front of it. Ancient blinds exist in archaeological sites all over the world. For bowhunting with modern vertical bows, is the risk of being seen easier worth the reward of having better shooting lanes?
Hunting blinds are for turkey and deer. Never had a problem setting up in front. Most of the time wrong movement at the wrong time is what gets people.

Also, better off standing than kneeling most of the time

Hnthrdr

WKR
The fun ones are when you think you are set up in front and that bull decides to take a whole different direction coming in than what you thought was the obvious place. I positioned myself in front of the last fir tree at a narrow point of a long (L to R) meadow. Had a bull coming in from in front of my position wind from him to me. Figured he would want to cross at the narrow spot and he ended up circling around and came in 90 degrees to the fir I was kneeling in "front" of. Had to freeze in my position as he walked about 50 yards up to about 3 yards to my left through an open meadow. Thought he was going to put his nose on my head. Never had a chance to move a muscle because I was in his line of sight the whole way as a lump on the side of the tree now with nothing but open space to my right.
Did you get a shot at him?

Preferably in front of something that breaks up my outline. Really no reason to be behind something.

brimow

Lil-Rokslider
Did you get a shot at him?
Never got a chance to draw. He buggered when he got right next to me. I stopped him for a couple seconds on the opposite side of the meadow which was about 60 yards. He was on such alert and looking dead at me so I didn't want to take the shot.

Biggest lesson I learned on that one is stay off your knees unless you have no other choice. I could have slipped back into/beside that tree if I was on my feet.

Front for me as well. But things can happen fast and change and the elk may come around from a different angle, especially bulls if you bugled. Be ready for your ideal shot, but also think about all the other angles and where your shot might be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

BuckSmasher

Lil-Rokslider
Never got a chance to draw. He buggered when he got right next to me. I stopped him for a couple seconds on the opposite side of the meadow which was about 60 yards. He was on such alert and looking dead at me so I didn't want to take the shot.

Biggest lesson I learned on that one is stay off your knees unless you have no other choice. I could have slipped back into/beside that tree if I was on my feet.
That happened to me. My buddy called in a nice 300+ six point in to twenty yards. I was kneeling, leaned out to shoot and there was a blowdown log across his chest. Had I been standing at 6'4" I would have had a clear look at his vitals. Never again. If I can stand I will be. I don't regret being behind the tree.

ElkNut1

WKR
Wow, tough question! In a perfect world, ha ha , I would be in front! BUT, in a not so perfect world I stay versatile & utilize whatever it took to position myself for what I felt allowed me an opportunity for a shot!

It's like asking would I/We only take broadside shots, hell no! I will take advantage of every shot opportunity that presents itself. I will pass on any situation that I do not feel confident in, issue is I feel confident in nearly all of them! (grin) I'm not a what if guy, I'm a you're gonna die guy! That said most my shots are under 25 yards!

ElkNut

SteveinMN

FNG
In front so long as I'm not standing in the sun there. I've been busted too many times when out of the shade to risk it anymore. If front doesn't work I move to the closest shade with least obstruction. Never fails that they then come out exactly where I have no shooting lane. Honestly I'd prefer standing in the open in the shade than right in front of cover in the sun.

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
You don’t look like a elk they aren’t looking for you unless you give them a reason. Moves need to be planned out when they are going behind cover or looking away

^this.

I'd pick the shady side, whichever one that is. So I prioritize for shade.

Of the 3 bulls I've killed two I was behind terrain and was able to pop up and send the arrow. On the third I was in no-man's land but did my best to stay still and only move when I could.

Can't say I've ever missed opportunities by being behind, although I could see that happen. Seems I don't get a lot of time to pick a location so I just do the best I can in the moment.

Geewhiz

WKR
Typically my archery tactics consists of ambush type setups and in those scenarios I set up behind some sort of cover and wait for my quarry to pass by.