Archery instruction/practice?

68Plexi

WKR
I’m new to archery and looking for some help with proper technique and practice. I used to play golf and know that practice doesn’t actually make perfect, it only reinforces whatever habits (good or bad) you’re repeating. The closest archery shop is an hour away from my home so I don’t have a local shop I can regularly visit. I’ve found some good advice in the tips and tactics on this website and some helpful videos from Inside Out Precision on YouTube. Just found Phil Mendoza’s videos here and they look helpful too.

The best help I’ve found was actually from the archery manager at Cabelas, but that’s an hour and a half from my house and their indoor range is 12 yards. I live in Tahoe, CA.

So I’m looking for resources, drills, or maybe even an archery shop that can help me cultivate a practice routine to create good habits. Right now when I draw I feel like I’m standing over a golf ball with 100 “checks” going through my head. Is my grip too tight? Is my elbow bent enough? Is my anchor point consistent? Nothing feels natural. I don’t expect to have the time to go through all of these mechanical checks in the field, which means I’ll shoot however I’ve practiced, for better or worse. I appreciate your help if you have any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You already mentioned two resources I was going to suggest, inside out precision, Phil Mendoza. I’d also suggest NockOn archery. Between those three resources I’ve learned a lot on shooting technique. I don’t have a shop near by so a lot of what Ive learned is from watching and reading, and then translating that to shooting.

I don’t golf but I imagine your stance is a big part of your form? That is always where I start when going through my check list. I then work my way up my body to my grip, draw, anchor/head position, sight alignment, etc.. Some of these things will be easier to do if your bow is setup correctly. If setup correctly your head position, anchor, sight alignment will be easier to find consistently.

There’s a lot of good videos on where your anchor should be based on the type of release being used.

One thing I do to make sure I’m consistently find my correct anchor every time is to draw with my eyes closed, go to my anchor and then open my eye. The goal is to be looking down my peep when I open my eye. This is assuming your peep/ draw length is setup correctly for you.

It’s good you’re working on these things now before seasons get closer. Im no expert but I would encourage you to look at those resources listed,as there are a lot of tips between them, and if you have a question forums like this are good tools to ask. The hardest thing is breaking a training scar once it’s been established.

Rob5589

WKR
Are there any clubs in the area? Most shooters are willing to help out and/or can point you in the right direction. Join the California Bowmen Hunters, their monthly newsletter has a ton of clubs and events listed. cbhsaa.net

Like golf, once you have a routine down it will just flow naturally. Although I can shoot a bow a hell of a lot better than hit a golf ball.

OP
68Plexi

68Plexi

WKR
Thanks guys. All good advice and the reason for my post. I’m not aware of any clubs but I will look into the association you mentioned. I was surprised (not sure why) at how much I enjoy archery so I’d like to learn to do it well. That and I’ve got two young kids who want to learn as well. Appreciate it.