Archery kill to stalk ratio

How many stalk attempts do you make relative to making a kill when hunting mule deer? How many seasons have you spot-and-stalk or still-hunted mule deer with a bow?

This is my first archery season and thus far I’m 0:7. I’ve had 7 stalks or encounters and have thus far killed no mule deer.

2 of the 7 were genuine opportunities where the animal was within 30-40 yards. For reasons of inexperience I failed to capitalize. The others were marginal, most with me getting blown by the 50-90 yard mark for all manner of reasons.

Interestingly enough, African lions sit at about 2:10 and African wild dogs at 7:10. For us, the lion is an interesting comparison since they also hunt spot-and-stalk whereas the dogs run their prey down to exhaustion. Gotta envy the numbers they’re putting up though.

Carpenterant

Lil-Rokslider
I’m 0fer a dozen or so. Had one bedded at 20 yards once but couldn’t see him so I had this great idea to make a little fawn noise to see if he would look around or whatever, you ever people say they run 20 yards and stop? He didn’t do that.

Redarrow

FNG
I’m something like 2 for 7 over the last 3 years. In my experience it’s not that hard to get within bow range but getting a shot off is where it can get tough.

sagebuster

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting...I've been hunting mule deer exclusively with a bow since 1987. Here in ID I have about 80 or so days a year to chase muley bucks via archery . I'm a stat freak, and I've kept pretty accurate records over the years. My first three seasons, '87, '88, and '89, I had 29 broken chances, no scores. Excluding 2020, which ain't over yet, and the two years I lost out of my life to cancer, in roughly 27 seasons since 1990 I've averaged 58 days in the field, taken 9 bucks, and averaged exactly 32 stalks per 60 days of season. Some days many, some days none. Unless your hunting in your neighbor's backyard, I can't imagine how it gets much easier than that. I've put some great stalks in and got on bucks well within range, but backed off more more than once because I just wasn't satisfied with the animal. I call those practice. Patience, patience, patience. 9 bucks in 27 years doesn't seem like much. It's those near misses on the truly big bucks that keep me coming back.

HWR

FNG
Interesting...I've been hunting mule deer exclusively with a bow since 1987. ..........

Great stats you have kept. Very neat. I'm starting on my first Archery season ever and you've inspired me to do the same!

And I'm sure those 9 bucks were worth the patience.

HWR

On 1 buck alone this year I've hunted him 2 days. Both start with watching him bed. I'm 2 shots out of 3 stalks. Going back out tomorrow to try again.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Dude!!! I'm glad to hear it's hard for everyone.

Last year was my first year hunting mulies in the mountains. I chased a really nice 5 point around quite a bit, as well as a few other decent bucks. I think I put on 7 stalks or so and came up empty handed for the season. I did get a shot at a decent buck, but he was a little too full of energy chasing a doe around and the shot was 40 yards.... Ducked my arrow and I gave him a shave.

Block

WKR
I’ve been pretty Lucky in the mountains and hold a good batting avg here in Cali,,, in the Az desert flats it’s pretty embarrassing... I’d need a calculator

This is an interesting thread - AND very discouraging for someone heading on their first archery hunt soon 😁 - I'm hoping for the best!

Rich M

WKR
I'm deaf, none of that for me. Sounds like you are doing great.

Once you get it figured out (work thru the newbie mistakes) , you're gonna be a killing machine.

I see the same thing w folks and rifles - lost opps due to uncertainty about what to do. This, I do do and seem to do okay. But not sneaking within spitting distance.

Don't get
This is an interesting thread - AND very discouraging for someone heading on their first archery hunt soon 😁 - I'm hoping for the best!

Don't get discouraged! Yea it's hard, but really fun. I've never had so much fun failing at filling a tag!!!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t know my ratio but do know that I’ve killed bucks on the very first stalk.

When it comes together, it can seem easy...

then five years later you be thinking “I remember that one time...” and you long for the day

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bdjones

Lil-Rokslider
This year I'm 10 stalks and killed finally thanks to high winds and some luck.

I exclusively chased 3 bucks. One crazy thick 3x3 and 2 - 180 class. Then We have one that was a real nice buck. 5x5 with brows.

I have tracked my miles hiked, chasing these deer this season including scouting them. Understanding every move they make brings me to a grand total of 95 miles.

It wasn't until my 11 miles adventure yesterday when I scored the 5x5 buck that I had on the list. He went just in the 160 class. But it was a Long hunt that finally came to a close. I was pretty excited as it was my first mule deer with my bow. Smoked him at 13 yards.
daec37f1f21571c84e3ca9b1dd8f7ae2.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
A
Wow, way to go on that buck! That's 1:10 for you and you were being selective at that! You're getting up there with the African lion!

As of yesterday I'm 0:8 now. Had a stalk on a group of does and completely misjudged the final approach distance from my glassing spot. What looked like it would only be 20 yards from good cover to their bedding spot ended up being 200. Ran out of light before I could close the final distance. The surfaces in the subalpine are so dry and noisy right now. Did half of the entire stalk in my socks and my painstakingly gentle foot falls still seemed too loud.

I wonder how cougars deal with the noise? Do they just not even try in areas with noisy ground cover or do they pattern the deer and then wait for the deer to come to them when stalking surfaces are crispy and crunchy as all hell?

Mule34

FNG
I am in the grasslands of South Dakota, so stalking where there is only terrain (rolling hills) or a single cedar tree...haha. My first year chasing them I had 23 attempted stalks ending in my first mule deer with a bow. I learned a lot and got better each time I went out. I did have 2 other successful stalks before the first one, but they were on small bucks I just wanted to practice. Biggest thing for me out here is, if you think you are going slow enough, you need to go slower...lol, the dead grass is super crunchy and using a little dew in the morning or waiting for a small rainfall helps a ton. Then 2 years ago I switched over to the longbow and got a smaller whitetail buck. Last year I was unsuccessful in getting within range to a trophy mulie with the compound. I am excited to try this year starting this weekend!

Attachments

• First Archery.jpg
    First Archery.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 39
I will add another question to this thread to anyone else responding - what is the biggest reason for your stalks being unsuccessful? Getting winded? Getting picked off or seen? Moving too fast?

Like sagebuster said “ It's those near misses on the truly big bucks that keep me coming back. “

I spent three and a half hours plus working in on an incredible buck. He crossed a fence onto private after sensing something wrong... I needed, maybe, another second or two.

I think about that moment still.

Unfortunately, a neighbor trespassed to kill that buck a few days later and created a whole lot of ill-will.