Archery (maybe gun) elk outfitters recommendations

Scottyboy

WKR
Looking for any recommendations on a outfitter good, bad or ugly for a archery (or possibly rifle/muzzleloader) elk hunt that requires 0 points to draw. My wife has given me the green light to book something for my 40th bday next year. Some criteria...

Under $7k (*not including license, transportation etc)

Can be drawn with 0 points

Decent lodging for the wife and kids to stay at a plus, local Airbnb would be just the same. Nothing posh, just comfortable while I’m out and about. Spike camp isn’t out of the equation just not ideal (our kids are younger)

Not looking for trophy animals or your honey holes 🙄 moreso any outfits you know of that have frequent run ins with animals of any size, or better yet have a good reputation for treating people the right way.

Ideally driving from Minnesota, flying is an option but would prefer to drive (yes, I know it would be a multi-day trip to most places and I would plan accordingly, taking 2-3 weeks vacation at a time is not an issue)

I understand the vast majority of you all are DIY and I wish I was in the same boat, unfortunately I am not at that time. feel free to PM if you wish to keep any information quiet..

TX_Diver

WKR
If you would consider NM then hit up Tom Klumker with San Francisco River Outfitters. He is the guy to call regarding hunts in the Gilas where there are definitely "sizeable animals".

Odds are okay for some of the outfitter pool tags, generally you get NM results back early enough to still withdraw from WY. Buy 1 WY point this year and apply for special elk as a backup. May not be guaranteed but should have pretty good odds.

KHNC

WKR
Stay away from NW Montana and outfitters like Cody Carr. Best advice i have for now. Otherwise, you can check with Dan Ardrey from www.kiowacreekoutfitters.com in Colorado. He does eastern plains elk hunts, no draw required. Rifle or bow in September during the rut. Only takes a few elk hunters as he is mainly a muley operation.

Wapiti1

WKR
KB Outdoors in Colorado. Montana Hunting Company. Northern Rockies in Montana.

Get in touch with Aaron Neilson at Global Hunting Resources. He is an agent that I have used and he has always steered me right.

When you add in the wife and kids, my usual suggestions aren't so good. They are in places were they would have nothing to do during the day.

Jeremy

NC Hunter

FNG
I would contact Sean Graese in New Mexico. He works for a ranch V7, and also does some guiding on his own.

Riplip

WKR
If you would consider NM then hit up Tom Klumker with San Francisco River Outfitters. He is the guy to call regarding hunts in the Gilas where there are definitely "sizeable animals".

Odds are okay for some of the outfitter pool tags, generally you get NM results back early enough to still withdraw from WY. Buy 1 WY point this year and apply for special elk as a backup. May not be guaranteed but should have pretty good odds.

Tom is excellent indeed, but he only does wilderness horseback hunting trips, and I certainly wouldn't recommend Reserve NM for a family trip. Not to mention 16b is a tough draw, even in Outfitter pool.

TX_Diver

WKR
Tom is excellent indeed, but he only does wilderness horseback hunting trips, and I certainly wouldn't recommend Reserve NM for a family trip. Not to mention 16b is a tough draw, even in Outfitter pool.

I missed the wife and kids part. I would definitely advise against a 16b trip with a family.

I guess draw odds are relative. It's been a year since I looked but I remembered them as significantly better than the other gila units.

OP
Scottyboy

Scottyboy

WKR
I missed the wife and kids part. I would definitely advise against a 16b trip with a family.

I guess draw odds are relative. It's been a year since I looked but I remembered them as significantly better than the other gila units.

Wife and kids are not essential, just makes it easier for when I try to justify a sika hunt in Maryland the following year 😀