Archery MT or WY Options?

Whisky

WKR
I saw some good info in the "Colorado or Idaho" thread and figured I try to fish for some info from you guys as well.;)

It's that time of year where I have time and ambition to start planning for 2013. I realize my options are limited as I don't hold much for preference points. I have 1 pt each for WY elk, deer and antelope. My thinking is I'm going to be patient in regards to WY elk and keep building points there. But I want to get some mule deer hunting accomplished in the mean time, and possibly some elk hunting in MT within the next year or two.

I am wanting to do a Sept archery hunt for mule deer in the 2013 season, either MT or WY. Elk in MT would be a bonus, but not required. I understand the MRS for Montana will be out next month but I want to get a jump on things.

With 1 point in Wyoming, and no points in MT, what state would you focus your efforts on for this hunt this year? Keep in mind if I hunt MT I can probably accomplish some elk scouting for the following year, depending on unit, or even hunting the 2013 season as I understand there are combo tags usually available. I haven't studied the lotteries in MT at all, but am somewhat familiar with WY as we antelope hunted there last year. The unit wasn't conducive to good mule deer hunting, so whichever state I choose, I will basically be flying blind...

General areas for starting places would help and, of course, be very appreciated, but I'm more or less curious on which state you'd recommend I focus on at this point.

I'm sure nobody here gives a rats behind about waterfowl, but if interested, I could point you to some great ND waterfowl hunting if interested...

PM's are welcome.

Thanks,
Whisky

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
If you want a trophy class buck, you need to narrow it down to the counties that still produce them. That would narrow it.

If you aren't concerned with size so much, you can build points in Wyoming AND hunt deer by applying for a region with leftover deer (NOT g or h) 2nd choice and still get to hunt. On average, better bucks in Wyoming due to limited rut hunting compared to MT where they get hammered.

MT deer is still very high odds of draw since the price went up, and guaranteed on the combo (or at least was).

The state doesn't matter as much if you're not picky. If you're picky, probably Wyoming, but if you could scout MT and not Wy, MT might be better.

I know, I probably just confused you more.

OP
Whisky

Whisky

WKR
We'd like to get on some respectable deer. Here in ND our definition of respectable may or may not be different than yours. We certainly aren't expecting 170"+ deer on our first out of state deer trip. Reasonable chances at 150-160" would be just fine with me.

I found the 2012 draw odds for Wyoming. Does anybody know when they will be out for MT (if they are, I can't find them)? Also, when can we usually expect 2012 harvest data for these two states?

Scouting would likely be non-existant for Wyoming. However, Eastern MT scouting would not be out of the question. We just need to get our hands on some more data and get some areas narrowed down.

Thanks