Archery Mule Deer in Eastern Montana/Missouri River Breaks

holmesac89

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, I struck out on all my other September hunt plans so I'm going to head to MT to try to fill the deer portion of my combo tag. I've decided to head to eastern MT, probably south of the MO river. Currently, I'm planning on getting out there a couple days before season opens to try to pattern some deer before the opener. If anyone has any experience in this area, I'd like to pick their brain about the roads, weather, and deer movement that time of year. Thanks!

bigsky2

Lil-Rokslider
The deer numbers are terrible in the Breaks on the south side of the river right now, so much so that FWP is considering making those units special permit. Not saying don't go, just something to be aware of.

OP
H

holmesac89

Lil-Rokslider
The deer numbers are terrible in the Breaks on the south side of the river right now, so much so that FWP is considering making those units special permit. Not saying don't go, just something to be aware of.
Thanks bigsky!

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
I had an elk tag on the south side of the breaks last season and I'll confirm what Bigsky2 said. I was shocked at how few deer I saw for how perfect the habitat is. Pretty sad deal