Archery newbie - what accessories are you running?

Archery newbie here, just getting back into shooting this past week and loved it. It's been about 20 years since I shot with any regularity, and back then I was 8 years old. I can't wait to practice until my arms fall off and attempt a few stalks this fall.

Anyways... the archery shop down the street sold me (and so did reviews on this site) on the Carbon Element G3. But I have no idea what direction to go or buy for accessories. Looking for a hunting setup, lighter is better usually. Would like to keep the add-ons less than $500 to $1000 if possible.

What are your builds for this and similar compounds?

Thanks!

Man there are a lot ways you could go with this, Here are mine:

Sight: spot hogg hunter 5 pin
Rest: QAD ultra drop away rest (soon to be a Hamskea versa rest)
Stabilizer: B stinger hunter
Release: tru ball short n sweet
Quiver: Tight Spot

Couple of things to think about is:
Do you want a slider sight or all fixed pins?
Do you want to take your quiver off?

jmez

WKR
Sight: 7 pin Axcel Hunter HD
Rest: Limb Driver Pro V (may be switching to a Hamskea)
Stabilizer: 8 inch Octane Hunter
Release: Scott Rhino XT
Quiver: Tight Spot

I would recommend you put a limb driven rest on the bow, Trophy Taker, Vapor Trail, Hamskea, etc.
Sights: Axcel, Spot Hogg, Montana Black Gold
Stabilizer, put a bunch of different ones on the bow and see which makes it feel and balance the best. Make and model doesn't really matter here IMO, get on that fits.
Releases, I'm partial to Scott, great products great customer service but there are many good brands, TruBall, Carter, Spot Hogg. Like the stabilizer, get your hands on as many as possible and see what fits you the best.
Quiver: One piece or two? If two piece go with a Fuse, if you want detachable Tight Spot

Great bow; welcome back to archery. On my Hoyt, I am running a CBE Tek Hybrid Sight, a Hamskea Versa Rest in Full Containment, and a Hoyt Arrow Rack Two Piece Quiver. Release: Spot Hogg Wiseguy. Arrows: Easton Injexions. Broadheads: QAD Exodus Deep Six.

Craig4791

WKR
Sight- spot Hogg Hogg father four pin slider

Rest- Hamskea full containment versa rest

Quiver- Hoyt two piece 6 arrow

Release- spot Hogg wise guy

Stabilizer- 10" b stinger hunter extreme

weaver

WKR
Sight.. HHA slider..not a bad sight but il probably upgrade to a Black Gold orCBE slider
Rest Trophy Taker smackdown pro
Quiver Hoyt 2 piece
Stab Fuse carbon blade
Release. Truball Boss X

I think the release is most important...get your hands on as many as possible and get the one that fits you

vcb

WKR
Wow, first off great selection of bow choice....second all the above responses are spot on...there are so many great products to put on your ow these days...here is mine:
sight. Spott hogg 5 pin slider
rest: trophy taker smack down
quiver: fuse 2 piece
stab: B stinger
release: stan thumb

OP
Racethesunset
Thank you for the feedback everyone, the engagement and support on this site is great. I am going to see what they have in stock tomorrow. Hopefully some of your recommendations make it on my new rig. More to come.

OR Archer

WKR
Im running on my Spyder Turbo

5pin Spot Hogg Tommy Hogg
Trophy Taker Xtreme...will be replacing with a Trophy Taker Smackdown in the future
Doinker 10.5" carbon field stabilizer
Tight Spot quiver

I will also be threading it with some Winners Choice strings shortly.

First: On the RKT cams on the Hoyts stick with a LIMBDRIVEN drop away!! You will be much happier and less stress free while trying to tune! There are a bunch out there to choose from my personal favorites:

HAMSKEA Versa Rest
VAPOR TRAIL Limb Drivers
TROPHY TAKER Smackdowns

Sights:

Toughest on the market for a fixed pin rig is the Spot Hogg hands down. I personally shy away from their moveable options because its a weight factor for me I prefer to run the CBE Tek-Hunter for a moveable. Don't over look the Black Gold line either though.

Stabilizers:

More of a personal choice here on whether or not to run one. I have always used a Bee Stinger until last year when I did opt out of a stab all together but will once again be throwing on my tried and true stingers this season. It is some much more about feel and bow response when testing them...and you WILL need to test them!!! I like the Sport Hunter Xtreme line that Bee Stinger introduced in 2012.

Quivers:

I love my tight Spots but on the 32" ATA of the Element DON'T over look the Hoyt 2 pc!

Arrows:

Stay with something relatively affordable out of the gate, it makes losing them breaking them and robin hoods a little easier to swallow ;) Gold Tip arrows are GREAT and the Expedition line is a great starter. I do shoot Eastons and prefer the smaller diameter shaft options but at $160 a dozen bare shafts for my injexions thats adding salt to an already gapping wound.

Releases:

Shoot an index finger release!!! You will have more control/command of your shot in the beginning just stay off the tip of your finger (read my article on rifle triggers VS archery release triggers!) Then after you are back in the swing of things we can begin exploring other options. I prefer and use only hook style releases for hunting because I believe they are faster when it comes to a follow up shot if needed and when allowed ;)

Strings:

I am a fan of a custom string ( AMERICAS BEST ) because they have a 1 yr warranty VS no warranty with the stock string. That being said you can save $100-$120 by just shooting in the stock strings for now. Fuse makes the strings/cables for Hoyt and are using the 8190 material which is the best in the industry so give them a run first.

Hope that helps a little.

OP
Racethesunset
First: On the RKT cams on the Hoyts stick with a LIMBDRIVEN drop away!! You will be much happier and less stress free while trying to tune! There are a bunch out there to choose from my personal favorites:

HAMSKEA Versa Rest
VAPOR TRAIL Limb Drivers
TROPHY TAKER Smackdowns

Sights:

Toughest on the market for a fixed pin rig is the Spot Hogg hands down. I personally shy away from their moveable options because its a weight factor for me I prefer to run the CBE Tek-Hunter for a moveable. Don't over look the Black Gold line either though.

Stabilizers:

More of a personal choice here on whether or not to run one. I have always used a Bee Stinger until last year when I did opt out of a stab all together but will once again be throwing on my tried and true stingers this season. It is some much more about feel and bow response when testing them...and you WILL need to test them!!! I like the Sport Hunter Xtreme line that Bee Stinger introduced in 2012.

Quivers:

I love my tight Spots but on the 32" ATA of the Element DON'T over look the Hoyt 2 pc!

Arrows:

Stay with something relatively affordable out of the gate, it makes losing them breaking them and robin hoods a little easier to swallow ;) Gold Tip arrows are GREAT and the Expedition line is a great starter. I do shoot Eastons and prefer the smaller diameter shaft options but at $160 a dozen bare shafts for my injexions thats adding salt to an already gapping wound.

Releases:

Shoot an index finger release!!! You will have more control/command of your shot in the beginning just stay off the tip of your finger (read my article on rifle triggers VS archery release triggers!) Then after you are back in the swing of things we can begin exploring other options. I prefer and use only hook style releases for hunting because I believe they are faster when it comes to a follow up shot if needed and when allowed ;)

Strings:

I am a fan of a custom string ( AMERICAS BEST ) because they have a 1 yr warranty VS no warranty with the stock string. That being said you can save $100-$120 by just shooting in the stock strings for now. Fuse makes the strings/cables for Hoyt and are using the 8190 material which is the best in the industry so give them a run first.

Hope that helps a little.

Thank you to everyone for the feedback.

Shot the bow for the first time today with borrowed accessories...

Disliked an old trufire trigger, noname short fixed alum sight, and longer AXT carbon sight - wayyy to much configuration and opportunity for failure IMO.

Liked the QAD HD and Hogg sight. Haven't decided what to buy yet, still sorting through your advice.

Also the bow rocks. Wow, I don't know what to say. Quiet, light, smooth. Shot maybe 200 shots at 20 yards, still have low confidence in my ability at this point. Can't wait for tomorrow.

Last edited:
As I was reading through this post, I did the math and came up with my bow being 18 years old. :(

I bet half the stuff on it isn't even made anymore.

OP
Racethesunset
More testing today, lost two arrows sighting in the third sight at 40 yards. Things got a lot more interesting at 40 yards IMO. Wind was gusty and I am a but sore, which made it more fun.

Here's the status on the G3s accessories:

Stabilizer - have not tested one, but am very comfortable without one for the time being. This is for hunting only. I am saving this for last, or second to last.

Sight - Simpler is better. The AXT carbon is out. Cobra 5 pin from the early 00s is in, dropped to 4 pins, and I am very comfortable with it. I will sight in the Hogg bulletproof as a competitor next.

Rest - Pretty set in this QAD Ultrarest HD. Can't find a flaw with it. Next to a Mattews top of the line without it, this thing rocked.

Quiver - haven't tested yet, will try the two piece and a couple of the above recommendations before buying.

rhendrix

WKR
I've got a two piece fuse ventera quiver you can try out, if you like it it's yours for 65 bucks.

Last edited:

2rocky

WKR
I would direct you to
Spot Hogg sights
Ripcord Rests
Easton Arrows
Carter releases
Rhinehart targets
Wac 'em Broadheads

Custom strings, Quiver and stabilizers of your choice.