Archery Noobie

GueroUlt

FNG
Hey All,
I’ve been hunting for a few years now and am deciding to get back into archery. I’ve been successful on some rifle hunts and just decided that I want to go on some OTC hunts here in Az. My first bow was a full setup that I bought from hunters friend. That was 5 years ago. I had some knee surgeries and haven’t been bow hunting in over 3 years. I recently bought a bow that’s new to me. A bowtech prodigy from 2015. I am going to a local bow shop to get my draw length set up at 27 inches sometime next week. I know nothing about the whole technical side about archery but just wondering on if I will be able to shoot my old arrows? They are 400 grains/spine? This new bow is set at 70 lbs. my buddy was saying I should get some new arrows. I just don’t know if I am under spined. My draw length is at 27 inches and just measured my arrows at 26 and 3/4 inches. Is it normal for the arrows to be shorter than the draw length? Thanks for any insight offered. I hope to learn more about archery as I go as I know there is a lot to learn

Your going to be underspined @ 70#. Now if you wanted to you could turn the bow down below 65# probably around 60-62, and cut your arrows down and add new inserts and use your old arrows.

Not certain how your measuring your arrow length, if you could get the carbon length to 26" your going to likely have a 26 3/8" arrow. Should be plenty for a 27" draw assuming you are comfortable having your arrow inside your riser. Typically you can run an arrow 1 1/4-2" shorter than your actual draw length.

OP
G

GueroUlt

FNG
Interesting, thanks for the info! Would I need some arrows at say, 450 or 500 if I wanted to keep the bow at 70 lbs?

Interesting, thanks for the info! Would I need some arrows at say, 450 or 500 if I wanted to keep the bow at 70 lbs?
350-300 spine depending on what arrow length you settle on.

57251.jpeg

In this picture you can see my broadhead is inside the front of my riser, arrow is a touch longer than I normally run as I normally have it about an inch in front of my rest. Some guys prefer to have the arrow past the end of the riser. The longer the arrow the stiffer the spine you need.

OP
G

GueroUlt

FNG
Gotcha now that makes sense. I’ve done some more research this morning and it’s all starting to be more understandable. I even found the arrow selection chart for my arrows 👍

Gotcha now that makes sense. I’ve done some more research this morning and it’s all starting to be more understandable. I even found the arrow selection chart for my arrows 👍

The general consensus is to go heavy on spine. It's easier to tune that way. I'd recommend bumping up a spine size from what the chart tells you. Remember the selection chart is for the arrow length, not your draw length, and is based off of 100 grain heads.