Archery only?

agardner00

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, fellas talk me through this. First, background info. I hunt whitetails, muleys, elk, and will start antelope hunting this season or next. And will probably do a black bear hunt at some point. Also, I’m pretty minimalist with gear—I buy the best I can afford (maybe a touch more ) and then don’t buy anymore until it’s falling apart.

Several years ago my buddy talked me into buying a bow, and fell in love with archery hunting. Last year I had an early season mishap and bent a cam on my bow, which put me on the sidelines for three weeks during prime time.

Every year I get more serious about hunting, and decided I need to get a backup bow. My current (only) bow is an Xpedition Denali 65# that is now roughly 3 years old. It’s great—no issues, other than it’s not an overly common brand, hence the three weeks for replacement parts.

So, my initial thought was to save a couple bucks, go to the local shop and get a used bow for a backup. Then it occurred to me that I have a BNIB Barret Fieldcraft. I’ve never fired it. Never even mounted a scope because I’ve only been archery hunting. I could get a pretty sweet setup for what I could sell that for. Problem is, you guessed it, it’s my only rifle.

Anyone gone full-in on archery? Regrets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
agardner00

agardner00

Lil-Rokslider
Did Barrett quit making them?

jmez

WKR
Bow only for myself. I shot a doe every year for my boys. Couple more years they will all be able to shoot their own so I'll be back to bow only.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

I would not give up your only rifle. You may find yourself wanting to extend your hunting opportunities and that may mean a rifle tag. Also, it's a great rifle.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
You have one of the best lightweight shootable rifles. Do what you want but I wouldnt sell mine. Between military contracts and covid who know when or if they will make them again. The fieldcraft line isnt killed just put on hold for an unspecified amount of time.

OP
agardner00

agardner00

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I should probably hang onto it. It’s also 30-06 so there’s not really anything I’m interested in hunting that would require a different caliber. Guess I’ll save my pennies and look for deal!

Sell a rifle that doesn't depreciate in value and buy a bow that depreciates rather quickly. Sorry not me.... pick up a side job and buy a bow, keep the gun. But that's just me.

Sobrbiker

WKR
I’ve gotten the archery bug badly this year, and putting in for rifle hunts just doesn’t seem as exciting at the moment as it has since I picked up a bow.
However, I will sell none of my rifles to get a bow. I only sell/swap firearms to get better firearms (or firearms more suited to a current need).
Every American should have a functional rifle, shotgun, and pistol-and be proficient with them.

Only bowhunt big game....all species. Like rifles and shotguns, including hunting varmints and birds with firearms. as well as shooting sporting clays and skeet.

Jimbob

WKR
You should always have a rifle, so no don't sell your only rifle to buy a BACKUP bow.

That is such a sweet rifle that it would be hard to sell but you could let it go and buy something cheaper to free up some crash.

I am pretty committed to hunting with my bow from here on out but I would never sell my only rifle. Also, some hunts are really hard for archery. Late season moose hunt seems pretty much impossible to me so I might bust out the rifle for that.

Loco4dux

WKR
No way I’d sell my only rifle especially that one to buy a bow. Buy a used bow on AT for dirt cheap.

Fatcamp

WKR
I recently sold a rifle to find a bow project. Certainly wasn't my only one, though.

I would feel weird not owning a sighted in rifle.

MTSabo

WKR
Dont sell it. If you hurt your shoulder or something and cant draw it back, your still rife hunting.

Trial153

WKR
You can get a two year old flag bow for about 400 to 600... I would grab one for back and hold onto the rifle.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

wayoh22

WKR
I'm sure plenty of hunters who only bow hunt own rifles and firearms alike. You don't need to slap a label on yourself so to speak. So please don't sell that rifle.