Archery only?

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
I have a policy that I no longer sell guns unless they turn into a money pit for me to keep running.

Buy a used bow for backup. I still shoot a 14-year-old parallel limb bow (sentimental value) that kills ‘em dead and is as accurate as anything else. I shoot this bow at least multiple sessions a week for the last 14 years. You can get a 10-year old 100% functional bow for $150-$250. The older tech parallel limb bows work 97% as efficiently as the 2020 bows and have tons of life left in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OH->CO

FNG
I started as archery only. I still hunt archery well over 90% of the time. I would still keep the rifle. Archery problems aren't that prevalent during the season and I would just have the shop look it over some time during the summer before season starts. Always having a rifle seems to make sense to me

Joe Holden

Lil-Rokslider
I bow-hunt 90% of the time. Turkeys deserve a shotgun, and every so often a rifle comes out for deer. As much as i enjoy and use my bows, I'll never zero out my louder devices.

Find a used bow a couple years old and set up as a back up. I just grabbed 2 Prime Centergy's NIB with full warranty and set them up exactly the same for this very reason.

acesand8s

Lil-Rokslider
I would buy a used bow before I sell the rifle. I would get on one of the facebook groups and buy a used cheap bow. If, you decide to sell the rifle let me know.

Simon85

FNG
Bow hunting is Mitch more personal than with a gun, just my thoughts. It feels like u are more neer to the nature

87TT

WKR
I can't believe you only have ONE rifle! You need another rifle and a bow.

OP
agardner00

agardner00

Lil-Rokslider
I can't believe you only have ONE rifle! You need another rifle and a bow.

I also have my first firearm—an old Winchester .22 my dad bought me when I was a kid. Does that count? That’s one I’ll never sell.

87TT

WKR
I just assumed that everyone also had a .22, so nope you need another "rifle", bow and maybe a pistol or two.

Ok, fellas talk me through this. First, background info. I hunt whitetails, muleys, elk, and will start antelope hunting this season or next. And will probably do a black bear hunt at some point. Also, I’m pretty minimalist with gear—I buy the best I can afford (maybe a touch more ) and then don’t buy anymore until it’s falling apart.

Several years ago my buddy talked me into buying a bow, and fell in love with archery hunting. Last year I had an early season mishap and bent a cam on my bow, which put me on the sidelines for three weeks during prime time.

Every year I get more serious about hunting, and decided I need to get a backup bow. My current (only) bow is an Xpedition Denali 65# that is now roughly 3 years old. It’s great—no issues, other than it’s not an overly common brand, hence the three weeks for replacement parts.

So, my initial thought was to save a couple bucks, go to the local shop and get a used bow for a backup. Then it occurred to me that I have a BNIB Barret Fieldcraft. I’ve never fired it. Never even mounted a scope because I’ve only been archery hunting. I could get a pretty sweet setup for what I could sell that for. Problem is, you guessed it, it’s my only rifle.

Anyone gone full-in on archery? Regrets?

Ive only archery hunted for years and am committed to it for the foreseeable future. Your Xpedition Denali is a sweet bow and should last you many years. Id keep that bow and keep the rifle . Dont sell your guns. You can save up for another bow in the future. Take care of what you have and it should last. You could also buy a cheaper new bow ( I have a Bear as my backup that i've had for 10 years that shoots fine) or a used one for "backup" and not spend too much vs going all out and spending $1500 etc on the higher end replacement.

OP
agardner00

agardner00

Lil-Rokslider
I just assumed that everyone also had a .22, so nope you need another "rifle", bow and maybe a pistol or two.

Yep—bow, -.06, .22 and 9mm. I figure I need a 12ga, backup bow, and a 10mm for bear country.

OP
agardner00

agardner00

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, everyone! I’ll hang onto the rifle, put together an emergency repair kit, and probably buy a new bow in a few years and make this one the backup.