Archery Pig Mendicino Area. *Looking for ranches or private hunts. Does anyone want to get rid of pigs?

Hi,

I'm an all archery hunter looking to harvest pig in the Mendocino area. Does anyone have private land or know landowners that want to get rid of pigs?

Otherwise, I know there is a lot of private guides in the Mendicino area that don't really advertise? Does anyone know outfitters that are good to hunt with for archery?

Any recommendations with hunters that have been successful. Let me know -

Thanks

Rob5589

WKR
Welcome! As you probably know, pigs are a cash cow for California land owners. 600-1000 for one pig is the going rate. I wish you luck trying to find something reasonably priced. If you do, PM me 😁

curt514

FNG
The problem is that everyone says that they are destroying everything and they want to get rid of them BUT they figured out they can get paid instead. Everyone wants money to hunt them and trophy fees if they are over a certain weight. It is unfortunately starting to be like all other hunting, a rich mans sport.

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt a 9000 acre ranch in Mendocino county, and know the neighboring 14000 acre ranch owner very well. There are not anywhere near the numbers of pigs there used to be 20 years ago. I saw my first hog in several years this deer season. I'd look south like central Ca or east close to hwy 5. Sonoma and Mendocino aren't great anymore.

OP
ArrowFlight
Welcome! As you probably know, pigs are a cash cow for California land owners. 600-1000 for one pig is the going rate. I wish you luck trying to find something reasonably priced. If you do, PM me 😁
Hi Rob,
I found reasonable partial guide down south. It’s still hot down there. Should be good to hunt daylight hours in a few weeks.

OP
ArrowFlight
The problem is that everyone says that they are destroying everything and they want to get rid of them BUT they figured out they can get paid instead. Everyone wants money to hunt them and trophy fees if they are over a certain weight. It is unfortunately starting to be like all other hunting, a rich mans sport.
I hunt a 9000 acre ranch in Mendocino county, and know the neighboring 14000 acre ranch owner very well. There are not anywhere near the numbers of pigs there used to be 20 years ago. I saw my first hog in several years this deer season. I'd look south like central Ca or east close to hwy 5. Sonoma and Mendocino aren't great anymore.

OP
ArrowFlight
Hi SF, do you want to go hunt it? I really dig the terrain in the North. It's epic country and similar to Santa Cruz. We used to have a bit of pigs but they disappeared after a 90's trapping campaign. I have a lot of friends in the North Coast, they are all die hard steelhead guys and don't know how to set up the land connections. I'd be happy to talk to you and see what exchange I could do for you or your landowners. I'm doing a lot of work in fire restoration and working with estate management. I specialize in that and could explain better by phone. I'm sure the pig numbers are better down South. I just like the country way more in Mendicino. Green country.

Rodéo

WKR
I'll be buying a tag for the Lake Sonoma pig hunt this year for the first time. It's archery only and you have to buy an additional tag but it seems like a good public land opportunity based on reading. I've heard the best hunting there is done when you can scout the shores by boat and then make a stalk but I don't have access to a boat so I may rent one or just try my luck with spot and stalk.

OP
ArrowFlight
I'll be buying a tag for the Lake Sonoma pig hunt this year for the first time. It's archery only and you have to buy an additional tag but it seems like a good public land opportunity based on reading. I've heard the best hunting there is done when you can scout the shores by boat and then make a stalk but I don't have access to a boat so I may rent one or just try my luck with spot and stalk.
Good to hear, yeah I’ve come across it a bunch. It sounds super fun to spot and stalk from the boat. That would be awesome. I’ll look a bit deeper into it. I’ve heard good things.

This blows my mind. On my place in Texas you can't go anywhere on the ranch without seeing pigs. I shot 5 the other day with my bow walking to my stand and then shot 5 more on my way back to the cabin. I can't believe people pay that kind of money to shoot them

OP
ArrowFlight
This blows my mind. On my place in Texas you can't go anywhere on the ranch without seeing pigs. I shot 5 the other day with my bow walking to my stand and then shot 5 more on my way back to the cabin. I can't believe people pay that kind of money to shoot them
Where is your ranch at Throwin Darts. I’d love to come shoot pigs in good number like that.
More time behind the arrow. In California the big problem is private land. Everyone has their say on what should be done. Not a lot of good public land in the Central Area.

Where is your ranch at Throwin Darts. I’d love to come shoot pigs in good number like that.
More time behind the arrow. In California the big problem is private land. Everyone has their say on what should be done. Not a lot of good public land in the Central Area.
I'm in Texas Northwest of Fort Worth

Fort Hunter Liggett Military Base is in Monterey County and has decent pig numbers. It is not hard to get a hunting permit. Some hunting zones are designated archery only.