Archery quartering-towards shots

Red33

FNG
I know this has been discussed on other forums, but wanted your thoughts: I shoot archery all year round, and I'm mostly a solo hunter with a 70 lb bow. I've taken 5 of my 15 elk with archery equipment. This year, I was at full draw on several occasions to elk I called in, but all they presented quartering towards shots, so I passed. I tried all the tricks that worked for me in the past (call and move so they walk past, etc.), but in the jungle of North Idaho, it is tight and couldn't get them to walk past me this year for a broadside shot. I lost one elk when I was 19 (I'm over 50 now) and I don't want to experience that again, but I keep hearing of people recovering bulls after taking risky quartering-to shots. I'm solid on frontal at short range, and broadside is a no-brainer, but I wanted to hear from the group. Quartering towards at under 25 yds, shoot or don't shoot?

Scoot

WKR
This one is easy-- don't shoot. Especially given how you reacted to losing one over three decades ago, don't take that shot. I'm good with frontal, good with broadside and quartering away, but bad with quartering to.

You are right that you hear about people all over the internet taking this shot and recovering the animal. What you don't hear about are all the people who take this shot and fail to recover- mostly those folks shut up and don't brag about their failures online. Also, the folks who have cameras behind them- they have a ton of pressure to shoot animals while being filmed and they take lots of shots shouldn't be taken.

No doubt there will be some internet experts who shoot 80 lbs and have 1100 grain arrows and 25% FOC who tell you they can shoot through an elephant's member on his wedding night, but mostly that's internet ego and testosterone! You made the right decision(s) and didn't take a bad shot. You should be patting yourself on the back!

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
I’m conservative on what shots I’ll take. I always pass on quartering towards shots. I can’t picture a “window” where the vitals aren’t well protected bone. I’ve had great luck with full frontal shots on elk.

wapitibob

WKR
Depends on the angle; as the animal turns from broadside to straight frontal the entrance has to move forward to get the arrow into the center of the lungs. There is a point where you can't go behind nor in front of the leg bones.

cnelk

WKR
I’ve taken that shot and been successful.

I’ve also had that shot opportunity and passed.

Every shot has its own nuances

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
i think it depends on how quartered the bull is. i have shot most of my elk slightly quartered to and it is always surprising how far back the arrow comes out. the bull i shot this year only look slightly quarter too, and the arrow went in 2" back from the crease and came out just in front of the hind quarter. the elk died 30 yards, but still spooky how far back the arrow came out.

I actually think when they're quartering to you it's an easier visualization of the shot then dead straight on. I've taken very few, I mean one maybe two "first shots" at an elk over 20yds. Being around elk a lot, and having some success with them, I would take the shot @ 15yds and in all day long. 25, that's playing with fire for me on anything frontal or quartering. They can move in that time. They're not getting out of the way even with a slow bow at 15 and under.

Edit, the quartering shot's I'm referring to are in front of the shoulder as they're quartered to you, not at the crease or behind. It would be the reverse of a quartering away shot.

Jaker_cc

WKR
Killed my bull this year quartering to at 40, thought it was broadside but ended up being more angle than I saw. Tucked it tight to the crease like I always do and it exited 4 ribs back. He made it 120 yards and piled up. Everything else I’ve killed has been broadside to quartering away. Not enough sample size to have too much opinion.

cnelk

WKR
My 2019 bull was standing almost exactly like the one above.

Died in 70yds

Attachments

• 16ED01E0-518E-4E31-9EAF-174F53C4EE95.jpeg
    16ED01E0-518E-4E31-9EAF-174F53C4EE95.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 69
^^^ that one’s a gimme. Damn near broadside lol
You gotta think about the exit, not the entrance

I would kind of agree, but I've had a couple 1 lungers that lived a long time. Somehow, on that shot I can see myself crushing onside, barely hitting or missing the offside and going through that fire drill again. I'll let him turn.

Crazy as it may sound, I wouldn't hesitate on the first.

wapitibob

WKR
I shot one at this angle at about 9 steps. One of the quickest kills I've seen. Much more angle and I'd pass.

1637623478943.jpg

Last edited:

Scoot

WKR
I totally agree with Bob and Brad-- I'd shoot at that one! But any more angle and I pass.

Quartering to isn't yes or no-- about 360 different angles a critter can be facing!

Bighorner

WKR
I shot one at this angle at about 9 steps. One of the quickest kills I've seen. Much more angle and I'd pass.

View attachment 348924
Edit: I made an incorrect assumption on what that red line was ment to show.

You are literally pointing at the joint at the bottom of the scapula. No wonder people are losing some many elk. For goodness sake.

Last edited: