Archery quartering-towards shots

Bighorner

WKR
I apologize for my misunderstanding. I jumped the gun on shooting off a the mouth there. I saw that and thought he could not have done a better job putting a line down the edge of the too bones. What you are saying makes sense.

LostArra

WKR
Nope
I've never regretted passing on a risky (for me) shot.
I've taken a few shots that I've regretted even when I killed the animal.
Any time a shot descriptor includes "slipping my arrow between this big bone and that big bone" I usually pass.

I would rather spend the remainder of my limited hunting time finding a broadside, quartering away or a short-shot frontal elk than searching for one I hit but cannot find.

wweaver

FNG
I passed a couple 20/25 yard frontal shots this year on a big bull and admit now they seem like slam dunks when I go out and practice, shooting arrows in a 2/3 inch group at that range. Whatever reason it makes me nervous. I got lucky and the bull finally turned giving me what i wanted. I need to try it next time in have that 20 yard run in head on shot. On that angle that notch on that quarter to shot is pretty small, anything over 20 yards and I want them almost broadside or quartering away slightly. I have done it on deer and it does make for a clean kill with lots of blood to follow however.

OP
R

Red33

FNG
Thanks for the input everyone. I think I'll continue to be conservative- I'd rather eat tag soup and enjoy the experience than wound an elk. I just got to reading other articles about people having great success with quartering-to shots. But, even with a great knowledge of elk anatomy I am just too worried about trying to thread an arrow between massive bones. I'm gonna stick with frontal or broadside shots.

yoopshoot

Lil-Rokslider
I took a fairly hard quartering too shot in 2020 at 20 yards…. Didn’t turn out well. I got 4” of penetration with 80lb bow/31.5” draw and 570 grain arrow with premium fixed blade.

I’ll admit all day that I hugged too close to the knuckle , but I learned that lesson the hard way… small margin of error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firestone

WKR
I have killed a few that were slightly quartering to like the picture. Never had a problem. But the 45 degree quartering shots I have heard people advocating I feel is ridiculous. I pass everytime, and a lot of times a better shot presents itself if you wait.