Archery Range Finder

87TT

WKR
I'm a vortex fan but the Sig is a better option. Can't find out if it has a red display or not but the Sig does and I would never go back to a black display . I have Sig Kilo 1600 and it is the clearest and brightest i have used. I paid the same for the 1600 that the 1800 is on sale for now and both are cheaper than the Vortex 1300.

I know one guy has had a problem with his vortex on dark objects. It reads the same distance after you move 3 yards (archery distances). He sent it back and they said keep fresh batteries in it. He still has same problem.

I know another guy had a problem with a sig kilo, I don't remember which one. I think they sent him an updated version that was a lot more accurate. Think he was having trouble with it returning yardages either inconsistent or a good bit off at archery distances.

I use a vortex ranger, uncertain of the model. No problems thus far, several friends with same one and only one has issue. I had a Nikon for a dozen years, no problems but got nervous. Son of a friend is now using it now. Thing is over 15 years and still doing what it was supposed to.

After having a Leupold fail less than a week out of the 1 year warranty and them not fixing I won't own or encourage anyone else to own one.

87TT

WKR
Let's just say, i have two perfectly functioning Nikon range finders. Both are now sitting on the shelf after trying the Sig with the red readout. I may be listing one soon as one back up is enough. I have had zero issues with either.

My first Leupold (RX1200i w/TBR and DNA) lasted 6 years, and I used it building a house and landscaping during that time shooting thousands of distances, plus hunting nearly 100 days a year several of the years. When the display started to deteriorate Leupold sold me a new replacement shipped to Canada for around $200 for a new RX1600i w/DNA and TBR. I consider $200 for 6 years of use with a great archery rangefinder a very reasonable amount to pay given they have a couple year warranty or did (40% of retail for the new unit). I wish the automobile manufacturers were as generous!

Ucsdryder

WKR
My first Leupold (RX1200i w/TBR and DNA) lasted 6 years, and I used it building a house and landscaping during that time shooting thousands of distances, plus hunting nearly 100 days a year several of the years. When the display started to deteriorate Leupold sold me a new replacement shipped to Canada for around $200 for a new RX1600i w/DNA and TBR. I consider $200 for 6 years of use with a great archery rangefinder a very reasonable amount to pay given they have a couple year warranty or did (40% of retail for the new unit). I wish the automobile manufacturers were as generous!

There are even a few guys that drove a 1995 Ford Taurus for 200k miles and all they ever did was change the oil. ;)

Last edited:

87TT

WKR
I think only 6 years of use on a rangefinder is crap. Unless you drop it or throw it in the lake it should last a lifetime.

I get what you are saying but we are in a disposable world when it comes to electronics. Obsolete models that were brought out two years ago, etc.

My iPhone and MAC are less than 6 years old at my house. My exception is the 8 yr old iPad that is so slow you can't hardly use it and the battery is in very poor shape. That is how the manufacturers have me programmed.

My Leica 1000R rangefinder programming with the delay in displaying angle corrected yardage, and no angle corrected yardage in scan mode sucks, so it is my backup. Might last forever since it never gets used but I dislike it. I use my 6-yr life Leupold!

Hope everyone has a great hunting season! And your rangefinder hangs in...good warranty or out of warranty!

I'm still happy with the tech we had 10 years ago. Just wish someone perfected the device so it lasted 40 years. Maybe they have, time will tell.

I'll agree with the idea of getting the red reticle. Definitely helps for early morning/late evening hunts. I went with the vortex ranger. Very satisfied, but might be overkill for archery

Scout44

FNG
What about durable rangefinders? Has anyone ever come across rangefinders that can endure inclement weather?

Leica and give her ypur old one! Call Cameraland NY ask for an open box great price best Rangefinder you can have lighter and faster

jmriness

FNG
Currently using a halo cause it was on sale. But I think when I upgrade itll be to a vortex, I have several of their optics and love them. Their warranty is hard to beat

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Whitetaildown215

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the kilo 1600 bdx last year for archery and love it. It’s overkill for archery but I went with that over the vortex at the time because I plan to pair it with a bdx scope at some point soon.

If you want to use it more than 2 yeArs the sig or vortex would be great choices. If you want to use it 2 years leupold makes a nice rangefinder. Just don’t expect them to stand behind their product.
I had a Leupold 1000tbr bought from Cabelas bargain cave, after a couple years or just less than, the readout was a double image. Sent in under warranty and they replaced it. Last year that one started loosing LED segments in the readout but still usable. This year so many were gone that I sent it in. They offered a half price replacement of a 1600TBR which I took. While that was happening I bought a Sig Kilo2200bdx for my other bino harness. They both seem good.
Any range finder with a red reticle. The black reticles are difficult to read in low light conditions.
That was/is my one criteria for range finders, an illuminated display. Did not want the black LCD readout nor the dull red one like some Nikons have. I knew that the first time I checked out a Leica rangefinder years ago, hence the first Leupold purchase.

If your wife is just doing archery maybe skip the long range and BDX type stuff and get an archery specific one.

nphunter

WKR
The red can be hard to see if your color blind unless you turn the brightness all the way up. IMO the Vortex Razor 4000 is the best option right now. Fast, good display and a lifetime warranty on everything including electronics. Most company’s have a 2-5year warranty in electronics.

IMO one of the best range finders if you can find one was the Nikon archers choice max, it has a black display when it’s bright out and switches to red in low light which is awesome!! It will only range out to 150 yards but is in .1 yard increments and is a great range finder for archery only.

Still if I were buying new I’d get the Razor 4000 and never have to buy another range finder again.

My two buddies that had the Nikon Archery rangefinders dumped them as they would not range on the side of a black bear at archery ranges. Apparently the black hair absorbed the weak laser beam off the 150 yd unit. Just something to be aware of.

One of the guys bought a Leupold RX1600i w/TBR and DNA, the other got a SIG. They both like the new units.

If you spot and stalk when bowhunting, the ability to range objects out there a ways is valuable. Knowing the critter is at 900 yds, and the distinct tree or rock above it is at 930 is really useful when you make a several hour stalk around the mountain to come in from above on the backside.