Archery Rangefinder (Leupold Fulldraw?)

I'm looking to replace my Vortex Ranger 1300. Man does it leave a ton to be desired. First off, I can range the same 3-D target three times and get three different readings. Second, it occasionally just "gives up" and doesn't give me a reading. The display also has a tendency to either be washed out in sun or unreadable in dark timber based on the setting. I don't have much good I can say about it, except that it was cheap and did an OK job throughout the years, assuming I had time to range my target 3-4 times.

As a result, I'm shopping around for a new rangefinder. Throughout my shopping though, I got confused.

So I'm an engineer (see username), but I don't do physics/mechanical stuff. That said, I did pass a few physics courses. I'm wondering if someone from Leupold (I'm looking at the Fulldraw rangefinder) can explain to me why/how archer's advantage matters when you're just getting a horizontally compensated range (literally just the distance the laser craps out times the cosine of the angle). I've heard some BS floating around the internet that "cut charts are more accurate" when no one seems to understand that the cut chart is doing the same math as your rangefinder.

I guess I'm wondering if the Leupold Fulldraw 5 is really "more accurate" or if that is just marketing BS (the laws of physics say it's BS). Also, if anyone has a recommendation for a reliable rangefinder that's quick to give me an accurate reading, I'm all ears.

bigbuckdj

WKR
There is a point where the cosine doesn’t work anymore. I think it’s like 30 degrees(roast me if that’s wrong). If you’re shooting at 20 yards it won’t matter, at 70 it definitely will.

I had a Fulldraw 4 and sold it. It was very slick and fast. I kept the Leica instead as I valued the optics and rifle ballistics more than the speed and archery ballistics. Lots of good options in that price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Leica 2400-R
  • Measures in yards or meters
  • Eye-safe IR laser
  • Metering range from 10 to 2400 yards
  • Readings in decimals down to 0.1 yards, up to a measuring distance of 200 yards, provide precise ranges for archers
  • Metering accuracy of ±1 yard to 400 yards; ±2 yard from 400-800 yards; ±0.5% beyond 800 yards
  • Spot and continuous scan mode
  • Fast scan mode takes measurement every 0.5 seconds
  • Equivalent Horizontal Range (EHR)
    • Integrated inclinometer measures relative angle to target
    • EHR algorithm uses distance and angle to calculate an adjusted range for more accurate shot placement
  • Calculates range, including EHR, in 0.3 seconds

HbDane

WKR
My buddy has the Fulldraw 4 and loves it. He did say it takes a little bit to program everything, but worth it. I personally never tried one and it seems like a lot of variables in archery could make the full draw inaccurate but I'm no engineer either. So I'm sure I'm wrong. I use the Sig Kilo rangefinder and absolutely love it. I haven't even looked at rangefinders in years because it has never let me down. The Sig Rangefinders are definitely worth a look in my opinion.

nphunter

WKR
I have the Vortex Razor 4000 and absolutely love it, super-fast, great glass, and the only company to offer a lifetime warranty on the electronics. I read a lot of poor reviews on the older Vortex stuff but this thing is lightning fast and I honestly don't have a negative thing to say about it.

If you want to buy a less expensive range finder the Nikon Archers Choice treated me well for quite a few years. It auto changes from red to black LED depending on the light which is a cool feature. After 5 years of hard use it started messing up every now and then to where I had to reset it by pulling the battery. It still works great 95% of the time, I had a similar issue with my Bushnell arc and older Nikon as well.

The main reason I went with the Vortex is from having electrical issues with my previous 3 range finders and them not having a warranty on the electronics.

bmejia

FNG
I have the full draw 4, it's great range finder but I pretty much get the same distances as everyone else with whatever they are using. Still though, it is compact, good optic and fast readings. I have been able to get accurate readings when a buddy's vortex would not get any readings in mist & fog.

OP
C
The Leica has my attention. That said, there seem to be some issues with the horizontal distance being displayed a whole two seconds after the line of sight distance (see here: https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/leica-2400-vs-leopold-full-draw-4.208679/). I went looking for the manual and it seems like the link is broken on Leica's website.

I guess I'm wondering if someone with experience with the unit can confirm or deny how it works. Can I get just horizontal distance and have it come up immediately?

bigbuckdj

WKR
I don’t know if it’s two seconds but it’s at least a full second. I haven’t looked through a vortex 4000 or the 7x sig but I haven’t looked through another rangefinder that is optically close to the Leica. The Leupold displayed the ehr and angle at the same time when you ranged.

If I wanted to have that much dough rolled up in rangefinders, I would’ve kept both.

OP
C
To confirm... the Leica first spits out line of sight distance, then thinks, then spits out the compensated distance? That seems like a terrible design when all the shooter cares about is the compensated distance.

Is there any way to tell it to just give you the compensated distance and to get that within the advertised 0.3 seconds?

The full draw is nice. The software is accurate and you won’t see much of a difference unless bows and arrows are drastically different. However, I got a consistent 2-3 yard difference from my buddy’s Leica. Not terrible until after 50 yards. With that said, I don’t use my RF for glassing anything. I have binos when I need to look at things.

bigbuckdj

WKR
To confirm... the Leica first spits out line of sight distance, then thinks, then spits out the compensated distance? That seems like a terrible design when all the shooter cares about is the compensated distance.

Is there any way to tell it to just give you the compensated distance and to get that within the advertised 0.3 seconds?

No, you can’t change it. Its definitely the biggest knock on that rangefinder.

Broadhead

FNG
It seems like a major flaw for Leica to not have a setting where the only range shown is the EHR range? I am also between the Fulldraw 5 and a Leica 2800.COM, yes I know they're different beasts but I've found a good deal on both. I mainly archery hunt and take short rifle shots (less than 300 yards) but will be guiding during rifle season in CO this fall. Want to make sure I have my clients covered with accurate ranges at distance.

drewbie

FNG
for archery purposes, the full draw seems to be the best option. is it worth the money? idk but I plan on getting one this season and finding out.

Buy a sig kilo 1600 non bdx. Extremely fast, accurate, good optics and its half the cost.

4ester

WKR
I’m looking too.

Bushnell Broadhead is supposed to be out soon also. Tim Gillingham helped with the design…..checks a lot of boxes at a good price.

cotuja

FNG
I have the same issue as OP with my Vortex Rangefinder. Been also looking at the Rx. Does anyone find the flightpath feature of the Rx helpful?

bigbuckdj

WKR
I’m looking too.

Bushnell Broadhead is supposed to be out soon also. Tim Gillingham helped with the design…..checks a lot of boxes at a good price.

Man I got rid of the full draw because I couldn’t justify having multiple $500 rangefinders. At that price, I might pick one up.