Archery rangefinder

golfbum

WKR
Looking for a new or new to me Rangefinder mostly for archery hunting out west.

what are your favorites?

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Take a look at the Leica Rangemaster CRF 2400-R

The new Leica Rangemaster CRF 2400-R allows distance determination of up to 2,400 yards (2,200 metres). Especially in the mountains the precisely corrected distance is essential for an accurate shot. The Rangemaster 2400-R determines precisely both the linear distance and the equivalent horizontal range up to 1,100 metres. In addition, the wide fi eld of view allows fast target identifi cation even at long distances. At the same time, the CRF 2400-R features intuitive handling and offers brilliant, clear images as well as crisp details even at dusk.

• The new CRF 2400-R offers a newly designed LED display for even better readability of scanned distances. The new LED display adjusts itself automatically to the ambient light to aid precise readability.
  • Another remarkable feature is the extremely fast scan mode, which takes measurements every 0.5 seconds.
  • Up to a measuring distance of 200 yards (182 meters), the unit displays the results in decimal figures (to 0.1y), enabling even more precise distance measurement for archers.
  • The CRF 2400-R determines the equivalent horizontal range (EHR) up to a distance of 1,200 yards (1,097 meters) when required. With this feature, the unit provides the practical anglecompensated distance, which is essential for an accurate long-distance shot.
  • Thanks to its compact design it fits easily into any pocket – weighing just 6.5 ounces and is waterproof to 1m.
  • The outstanding optics with a 7x magnification ensure the best image brightness and a wide field of view.

Mt Al

WKR
I have an older version of the Leica CRF Doug posted above from cameralandNY. It's been awesome for many, many years and is one of the best value for $ I've done in hunting gear. The battery must be a perpetual motion machine. Small, light, handy.

OP
golfbum

golfbum

WKR
In the market for another rangefinder.....

thinking about a sig or possibly leupold.

any suggestions?

ZDR

WKR
I'm looking for the same but have started leaning towards the Sig or vortex for the warranty or Leica for the optical performance... I really wanted the Leupold RX-3 fulldraw, but after reading multiple reports of failures on Leupolds in general I decide not to go that way.
Hoping some good input comes our way...

Sled

WKR
In the market for another rangefinder.....

thinking about a sig or possibly leupold.

any suggestions?
i've only had one failure with the leupold and it was a slow dying of the internal display. it was a first edition and was replaced at the store. ever since then they have been reliable for me. my rifle rangefinder was a leica 1600b. unfortunately, last week someone thought they needed it more than i did and stole it from my truck. since i do not use the ballistic functions i will be calling doug at cameraland soon to replace it with the 2400crf.

Sled

WKR
SIG 2000 for me. I’ve owned Leica, Leupold and Nikon and the SIG is the best.
i haven't used sig yet but i can see where it may top the leupold and nikon but what do you find that it does better than the leicas?

Tilzbow

WKR
i haven't used sig yet but i can see where it may top the leupold and nikon but what do you find that it does better than the leicas?

All my experience is a few years old, 2015 to be exact, so some features may have changed. That said:

The Leica doesn’t immediately provide the angle compensated range. It first shows true line of site range then a second later the angle compensated range appears. At least that was the case a few years ago and was a show stopper for me. The SIG only displays angle compensated range and does so much faster than the Leica and the other units. The only downside of the SIG is that it wasn’t waterproof.

I also owned a Vortex and it was at the very bottom of all units.

Vortex and Leupold LED displays don’t automatically adjust for ambient light. So at dusk and dawn the display will be very bright unless you remember to adjust the brightnes. SIG, Leupold and Nikon (LCD) all adjust for ambient light.

Lastly, I’m red green color blind and the Leupold and Vortex displays are impossible for me to see on a bright day with a light green background such as tundra, grass or sage. I can see the Leica display the best, followed closely by the SIG. The Nikon’s black LCD is the best but the LCD optics aren’t nearly as clear as LED.

Last edited: