Archery rangefinders - what to look for?

ZDR

WKR
I need a new rangefinder as my old one died. Looking at the new Sig, Vortex and Leicas I can see there are some positive changes such as red OLED screens and more accurate ranging. Angle compensation is a must but am curious as to other key features you want in your RF.

thanks
z

Waterproof.

Can be easily over looked but I know a guy who was packing out in the dark and walked right off the bank into a creek in the San Juans. Next day he pulled up his rangefinder that he had been wearing on his neck when he went in an swears there was a fish swimming in it with all the water he was trying to look thru.

Other than that, display that you can dim or brighten, relatively light, easy to use, intuitive, and durable.

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
Sig Kilo model through Cabelas has been great for me - Leupold Full Draw is suppose dot be the best.

OR Archer

WKR
If I were looking for a bow only rangefinder I’d buy the Leupold Full Draw 4. Has probably the best angle compensation for bows in a rangefinder.

OP
ZDR

ZDR

WKR
Ended up ordering a Razor 4000 from S&S. Good talk with Rob there and that convinced me that was the way to go. They key difference was the vortex is waterproof versus many others that are IPX-4 rated which is splash proof essentially.

OP
ZDR

ZDR

WKR
But that full draw 4 looks like a slick set up for archery. Not in stock anywhere I shopped though.

After my experiences with a previous leupold rangefinder and several other of their products, I'm not going to spend my money on them. Anyone else is welcome to but I learned my lesson.

They do seem to have the best technology out there right now, but when that thing won't work on a hunt it has the same value as a rock on the side of a path, and is worth the same when you're able to contact them about it a few days after the warranty expired.

Reactions: ZDR
OP
ZDR

ZDR

WKR
Ya, I saw a lot of comments on Leupold display failures in particular. Hopefully they will get that ironed out as their technology is quite good.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I got a sig kilo 1800 and I really like it. The new mavens look very promising.

I wouldn’t touch leupold with a 10 foot pole. Their crappy warranty and service are a no go for me.

nphunter

WKR
Ended up ordering a Razor 4000 from S&S. Good talk with Rob there and that convinced me that was the way to go. They key difference was the vortex is waterproof versus many others that are IPX-4 rated which is splash proof essentially.
It also has a lifetime warranty on the electronics. I love my 4000 and after having several other $300-$400 range finders fail me in the last 10 years I am really hoping this will be the last one I have to purchase.

4ester

WKR
If I were looking for a dedicated archery rangefinder right now, the Leupold full draw with angle comp is gonna be hard to beat. Still will range to like 1200 for rifles too.

I have a Leica 1600b and while a great unit, it lacks in bow features

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC_

FNG
Not as up-to-date on specific models, but for bowhunting I would highly recommend getting a unit with a red display. Makes a world of difference in my opinion.

Ensure that the rangefinder will display the angle corrected yardage in scan mode. I use scan mode to verify the yardage all the time when spot and stalk hunting in the mountains. Much faster than verifying using single readings at the target. Leupold has this feature but Leica did not the last time I looked at them.

I've been extremely happy with my Leupold rangefinders, but did have display issues with the first one after 6 yrs of use...and a heck of a lot of use around our house build and landscaping. Really an excellent rangefinder so I got a replacement for about $200 thru Leupold....heck of a deal for the amount of hunting and other use I put the first one through. The new unit was the upgraded 1600 yd version vs my original 1000. They are both top of the line for the time units with DNA and TBR. Good luck!

TravisIN

WKR
Just got the full draw 4. It’s pretty sweet. Very happy with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WesCAtoll

Lil-Rokslider
Have the full draw 3. Wish I would've tried the maven or spent the extra for the 4, mostly because of the red vs black display

Fullfan

WKR
Important to me is a red display. Have a leupold and a vortex. One has the red one has the black. I prefer the red over the black when chasing elk.

I have only had two. 1st gen vortex and a sig 2000(?). the vortex was fine but it konked out on me so I bought the sig (vortex sent a brand new one that I sold). The sig is another level. It ranges fast. I mean a lot faster than the vortex. I didn’t know how useful that was in whitetail woods where shot windows can be narrow and short until I got the sig. I doubt I would need an upgrade for a while, but if I had one gripe about the sig it is the lack of a pocket clip. I dont carry my rangefinder in a pouch but I liked the idea of being able to take a reading and then quickly clip it to my body and execute my shot. With the sig I have to stick it in a pocket or pouch. Small issue and more of a personal peeve.