Archery release types, can we talk science? Or does it matter?

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been looking at Archery releases lately to replace a scott single caliper that I got used with my bow. It’s a super simple and reliable single caliper, but the strap is starting to fray a bit and I don’t know how much longer I should trust it.

Reading up on releases, they all make similar and often contradictory claims. Like, nothing releases more consistently than a single sided caliper, nothing releases straighter than a double caliper, Scott claims their Hyper Jaw is the best of both worlds, most high level shooters, and the higher-end releases seem to use some form of hook.

Is there high speed video out there that can settle once and for all, which releases induce more lateral movement of the string?

Or, does that even matter? Is the feel to the shooter more important than the actual path the string is released from as long as it is consistent?

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Unless you are an incredibly good archer, I’m guessing you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference in different jaw types accuracy. My personal experience was more what release could I execute the shot correctly with. So thumb button releases made me more accurate than say wrist strap caliper releases

i don't think it matters either... we will always be the weak link if you are shooting a properly setup and tuned bow.

i don't know if they are still on sale, but i got a stan xtinction 2 recently for pretty cheap, and so far i'm really liking it... it's different, but i'm warming up to it quick, and the trigger is money... it can be set pretty stiff too, which is good for me breaking a clean shot

TX_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure it matters for arrow flight quality purposes, but it is possible to have a change in impact and have to adjust your sight switching between release. I don't know if that's due to jaw style, or how the release shape/style impact your anchor point and how your hands sits on your face.

WKR
On the list of significant variables affecting archery, the hook, single, double caliper differences likely wouldn't land in the top 1,000.

Pick what you like. I like a hook because it's easier for me to attach to the D loop quickly or without looking.

OP
Dave0317

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
Only person I've ever heard even discuss this is Gillingham.
What is Gillingham’s opinion on the topic?

Thanks for everyone’s input!

I figured it might not be the top thing to worry about, but like I said, buying a new release soon, I figured I’d try and start down the best path possible.

I feel like a lot of the issues with “target panic” or “trigger punching” are things I’ve seen and dealt with over the years shooting pistols and rifles.

The mechanics and many of the contributing factors are different, but the mental tools and habits to fix them seem to be the same.

Marble

WKR
I have a friend who was a world champion. He's discussed the affect of different releases with me. Some cause huge changes, some don't. Some are predictable and some are not.

For hunting, but sure it's too applicable. But for competition, it makes a difference. I have to nearly identical releases and switching between them creates a left right impact difference.

The one constant with archery is the following:

"Change one thing, change everything."

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
Dave0317

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
The one constant with archery is the following:

"Change one thing, change everything."

I’m new to all this bow tuning stuff, but I feel like that’s a lesson I’ve learned a couple times now.

So, I’m going to change a ton of stuff right now, so I can sort it all out by the time hunting season rolls back around. New release, new sight, change the 4 inch dampener for a legit stabilizer and maybe determine if the side/back bar is needed, etc.

Marble

WKR
I’m new to all this bow tuning stuff, but I feel like that’s a lesson I’ve learned a couple times now.

So, I’m going to change a ton of stuff right now, so I can sort it all out by the time hunting season rolls back around. New release, new sight, change the 4 inch dampener for a legit stabilizer and maybe determine if the side/back bar is needed, etc.

Enjoy the process!

To each their own with this stuff.

I kind of wandered around lost for several years in archery until my buddy realized how much I enjoyed shooting. Between his input, watching and talking to others that are much more experienced and some experimentation, I've settled nicely into the set up I like.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
I believe there is a difference between a quality release vs cheap as far as consistent trigger pull and break. The Stan @roosiebull mentioned above is what I currently shoot and is the best I've used. Fantastic trigger, easy hook up, clean break.

Zac

WKR

Thanks for everyone’s input!

I figured it might not be the top thing to worry about, but like I said, buying a new release soon, I figured I’d try and start down the best path possible.

I feel like a lot of the issues with “target panic” or “trigger punching” are things I’ve seen and dealt with over the years shooting pistols and rifles.

The mechanics and many of the contributing factors are different, but the mental tools and habits to fix them seem to be the same.
Gillingham likes a caliper because it releases the loop dead down the center.

I'm not sure it matters for arrow flight quality purposes, but it is possible to have a change in impact and have to adjust your sight switching between release. I don't know if that's due to jaw style, or how the release shape/style impact your anchor point and how your hands sits on your face.
I have had this happen, but it was slight variations in anchor points rather than how the release functions, and those little changes create a domino effect of slight variations which lead to a change in POI

wapitibob

WKR

It depends on who's release he's using at the time.

Used to be a caliper because it keeps everything in alignment, now he shoots a thumb button.

Shoot what works for you, but you could count the calipers being used at the top level in Vegas on one hand. The head length is generally long, and the wrist strap makes it inconsistent. Hinges will usually be a cleaner shot than a button because of the lock time with the set trigger mechanics of a button. There's lots of difference between hinges, where they set the hook in relation to the handle. Some force you to rotate while others can seemingly rotate on their own.
It really comes down to what works for you and the only to know that is trying a basket full over time. "Nothing but releases" is a sales site on facebook where you can buy used for semi cheap.

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
I have 4 different hook type wrist releases, 3 will shoot and tune together or really close together. 1 of them is noticeably different. It's a great release, very well made, big name. It will shoot and tune fine but not with the others. It has a deeper hook and a stronger return spring than all the others.

S.Clancy

WKR
IMO, the things that matter most for releases for hunting.

1. Provides the ability to hit the same anchor point and measureables every time. This is why I use a hand held release. With a wrist release the leather can loosen, the strap can bind, clothing affects how it attaches to your hand, etc. I use a Cobra Draw Assist with a different release head.

2. How easy is it to attach the release to the string? I like the single jaw for this because there is no opening of jaws or anything, so it is really quick and smooth, important things when seconds count.

3. Are you comfortable with the release operation? I do not like thumbs or hinges, I like a trigger, that's me. Use what you are most comfortable with.

nphunter

WKR
I've seen more D-Loops damaged from caliper-style releases than any other type, I've also seen them misfire due to worn D-Loops pulling between the calipers. IMO a hook is better for that reason when using a wrist strap.
Personally, I love my handheld, 99% of the time while hunting I'm not shooting, I'm walking, adding and removing layers, eating, craping and everything else, it was so nice to finally get rid of that wrist strap! I carry a carter in my front pant pocket and have had zero issues being able to get it out and make a shot, I do keep a spare in my pack just in case but I always carried a spare wrist strap as well.

Zac

WKR
I've seen more D-Loops damaged from caliper-style releases than any other type, I've also seen them misfire due to worn D-Loops pulling between the calipers. IMO a hook is better for that reason when using a wrist strap.
Personally, I love my handheld, 99% of the time while hunting I'm not shooting, I'm walking, adding and removing layers, eating, craping and everything else, it was so nice to finally get rid of that wrist strap! I carry a carter in my front pant pocket and have had zero issues being able to get it out and make a shot, I do keep a spare in my pack just in case but I always carried a spare wrist strap as well.
Yeah most calipers are junk. The one Tim uses is the Truball Execution. Probably the only quality caliper with a sear on the market.

feanor

WKR
I felt like getting a Stan was a big benefit for me. I always felt like my wrist release was always twisted slightly, or stretched a bit or whatever. When I anchor now, it’s right where I want it to be. That makes all my other shot processes smoother and more succinct. I’ve only been shooting for about 5 years, but personally, every early spring, I try something different in my setup and see how it works. Then, if I like it, I have plenty of time for hunting season to get used to it, or ditch it. But I like to tinker with stuff in general. Make changes sooner than later and know you’re good for season.