Archery shop with zero skill set

vcb

WKR
Wow today was an eye opener. I won't name names but the archery shop I was in today had NO idea what to do with a peep that would not align. I mean like no idea......started talking about how I needed to order a new string ...etc.... Just another example of why I have to do my own bow work because other guys just don't know their ass from head! Only reason why I went was I don't have a press. Gonna buy a portable cable press so I can do my own work

Whisky

WKR
Wow today was an eye opener. I won't name names but the archery shop I was in today had NO idea what to do with a peep that would not align. I mean like no idea......started talking about how I needed to order a new string ...etc.... Just another example of why I have to do my own bow work because other guys just don't know their ass from head! Only reason why I went was I don't have a press. Gonna buy a portable cable press so I can do my own work

I have felt your pain...

My advice though, even if you have to save pennies for 1 year, is to shop for a deal on an EZ Green press. I used a portable (Bowmaster) for one year for home work, and never again. If I ever use that thing again, it will be in the field for emergency uses only, which is what they were intended for. They really are a PITA, IMO.

Yep. Ive run into several shops like this. Taking my bow into just to use a press and worrying that my bow would be destroyed by guys not knowing what they were doing. Used a press in a shop once to put new strings on. Guy put the cables on wrong. I told him they were on there wrong he said no just draw the bow. Drew the bow and the bow was like 200 lb draw because cables were on there wrong. He told me the custom string maker made them the wrong size. I said no you put them on wrong.

Bought myself a BowTimeMachine (bow press and draw board). Do all my own bow work from my house. Don't have to deal with idiot pro shop guys. Never looked back

Buy a bowtimemachine. You wont regret it!

OP
vcb

vcb

WKR
Think you are right and should save up for a bench press!

bowuntr

WKR
I've always done all the work on my bows. I built an EZ press, draw board, paper tuner... full bow shop in my shop. Helped dozens of friends work on and tune their bows. Ed F

Craig4791

WKR
I've always done all the work on my bows. I built an EZ press, draw board, paper tuner... full bow shop in my shop. Helped dozens of friends work on and tune their bows. Ed F

X2!

I have a full bow shop in my garage now from similar experiences that the OP had. Still learning and a big initial investment but very satisfying that i can do it myself now with some tinkering and watching Youtube videos.

Well worth it in the long run.

shaun

WKR
I have one that almost tops these. My new spyder turbo needs to have the yokes tuned from what I have read and people I have talked to messed with center shot etc to no avail sight is bottomed out to the left waaaay out there and the local shop here tells me it must be my riser twisting because everything else looks right. So once again I am off to Rocklin to get it squared away. To top it off this same shop has plaques for Hoyt dealer of the year for 2-3 years running. Kind of sad if you ask me. Makes me want to turn reloading bench into bow tuning bench

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
You guys are right, it's buyer beware when looking for a shop.
Gotta say though that there are some good ones out there (Right Evan Williams?) and if you do you research, you should be fine.
Been lucky here in Idaho Falls with shops. Dee Wilde, one of the best in the industry ran Wilde Arrow here for years. He could tune a bow, etc in his sleep. Almost frustrating to watch as he could tune so fast you couldn't keep up with what he was doing.
Tom Thiel bought the shop and now it's Archery Idaho and he's done a great job on everything I've taken in.
As some have said, it is best to be able to DIY your stuff, but having good shop to turn to when time is a crunch or something serious needs done.

Scoot

WKR
It's not just at the level of the shop either- it's often a total crap shoot on which individual you have working with you. Some places, like one we have in Fargo, have a handful of great and informed guys and one or two guys who have no business being in the archery department. It took a while to realize this, but if I go in and I see Mr. X is working, I simply ask for Mr. Y or Mr. Z. If they're not in, I find out when they work next and come back then. Or, I just call ahead and ask if the right guys are working. Point is, because you worked with one no-mind doesn't mean everyone in the shop is like that. Or... maybe they are!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
No shop by me have to drive 1.5 hours. Built this works great for the carbon matrix
3e9eqeme.jpg

Manosteel

WKR
If you have spent anytime bow hunting you are going to run into this problem. Like others have stated best to do your own work. Amazing what you can learn on YouTube nowadays! Lol I started with a portable press and now own a xpress I picked up used. Great investment and I do everything from basic tuning to swamping cables and limbs now. I'm pretty picky about my gear and like the feeling of knowing my equipment is in top condition because I did the work. And it keeps me busy during the long off-season between fall and spring hunts :)

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Phillyb no write up sorry. Think it was on archery talk. Pretty simple base is 38 inch hole to hole 1 3/4 square. Arms are 13 inches hole to hole of 2" square. Grade 8 hardware 1/2 bolts 6 1/2" long covered in auto heater hose. 2 eye bolts. 3 foot of 3/8 cable and 18 inches of chain for adjusting. One harbor freight jack.
e6ygy2yz.jpg
hypajy2a.jpg
upuva6uj.jpg

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is a small clevis to attach chain to eye bolt. Bolts will bend if not grade 8. Top of Jack has a channel grind into it to keep cable centered
ynebe8ev.jpg

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
stand is just welded out of scrap. All square material (street sign posts)came from city maintenance dept. For six pack of beer. Jack was like 10 bucks, hardware was most expensive part of this project

OBP

WKR
In my experience, what's as bad as shops that don't know what they're doing is the ones that treat you like you're there to steal something. I've been in 10x more shops that treat you with what nears contempt as the ones that treat you like a customer. One of my biggest pet peeves in the archery world.

Justin, could you post up some more info on that bowtimemachine? I checked out there website but there's not a ton of info on it.

Danielboone

Lil-Rokslider
Bow Time Machine is awesome. I too bought all my own equipment and can do it all in my basement. Even when you find a shop that is fairly knowledgeable, they will not put the needed time in to get things just right for you. Found out that I was the best person for that job. Plus it's fun to work on your own stuff.

OBP

WKR
Would some of you guys that have the bow time machine post up some pics of your setup, the pics they have on their website are really little and dark, can't get a good idea of what the entire setup looks like?